Should I Buy a TRice 161.5 or 164.5? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I Buy a TRice 161.5 or 164.5?

I'm 6'2 and anywhere between 200-210 pounds depending as I hit the weights from time to time. I am an intermediate rider, mostly like to cruise and hit some jumps, not much jibbing. I'm an east coast rider if that matters at all.

My size kinda tells me I should go 164.5, but someone offered me a sweet deal on a 161.5. At the end of the day I just want to buy the best board for me, but obviously saving money is always nice. With that being said, what size should I get and is there much of a difference?

161.5 offered is also a HP model which I would basically get for the regular price.
kdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go the 161.5 I had the 164.5 and I'm way bigger than you and it handled fine, I reckon you will be fine at the shorter length
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good to know, I know T.Rice himself rides a 161.5 and he's like 5'10 and 175 or so, so it had me thinking.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Im about the same weight/height as you and ride the 161.5. I feel as though its perfect.
dantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

just because you saw 161.5 on his board in art of flight when he is riding in neck deep pow does not mean that a 161.5 is the board every guy his size should choose to ride.. the t.rice rides very very long, just look at the eff edge and sidecut compared to other boards. don't chose your board size based on what you've watched a pro ride in the back country, unless you have a heli and plan to ride neck deep pow every time you hit the slopes? just a thought. on hybrid camber boards my suggestion would be to go as short as you can.. they float fine in the pow at any length, the big difference is in the eff edge and the sidecut, and when you get up into some sketchy terrain or some chutes, that 164 t.rice will feel like it's a 180.

Last edited by huckfin; 02-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfin View Post
just because you saw 161.5 on his board in art of flight when he is riding in neck deep pow does not mean that a 161.5 is the board every guy his size should choose to ride.. the t.rice rides very very long, just look at the eff edge and sidecut compared to other boards. don't chose your board size based on what you've watched a pro ride in the back country, unless you have a heli and plan to ride neck deep pow every time you hit the slopes? just a thought. on hybrid camber boards my suggestion would be to go as short as you can.. they float fine in the pow at any length, the big difference is in the eff edge and the sidecut, and when you get up into some sketchy terrain or some chutes, that 164 t.rice will feel like it's a 180.
Yeah this pretty much sums it up, glad you posted this, thanks. I was over thinking it. Riding a 159 banana now, feels okay, but a slight up in length should be be fine at 161.5.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

161.5 for sure.

I'm 6'4'' 210 and ride it in powder on the west coast and the size is fine. I had it in tits deep powder earlier this year and it floated pretty well.

164 for the east coast with limited powder would be overkill IMO...unleass you ureally just want a fast hard charging carver and not worried how playful it is.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
161.5 for sure.

I'm 6'4'' 210 and ride it in powder on the west coast and the size is fine. I had it in tits deep powder earlier this year and it floated pretty well.

164 for the east coast with limited powder would be overkill IMO...unleass you ureally just want a fast hard charging carver and not worried how playful it is.
that 164.5 with its wider waist is a big fk,n board.
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote