Thinking of getting a new board? Needed? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking of getting a new board? Needed?

Hey guys,

In my second season of boarding, don't wanna say if im even considered intermediate or whatever. i'm 5'11 200LBS.

Currently riding a burton custom x 158 as my first board (some of you prob thinking I'm crazy I know, but I got board and triad bindings for 500)

Kinda starting to get into jumps and jibbing. For jumps I know the X can be a great board, but for the other stuff, even buttering it's probably not the best one. Thinking of getting a rocker board just so I can cover whatever type of riding I wanna do for the day.

Any recommendations?

If i'm leaving out any information please let me know.

Thanks in advance
BoredPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

No suggestions? Bump
Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Basically, a metric shit ton of boards could potentially qualify here. Basically, you asked for recommendations for a freestyle oriented, rocker camber board.

There's a ton of them.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Basically, a metric shit ton of boards could potentially qualify here. Basically, you asked for recommendations for a freestyle oriented, rocker camber board.

There's a ton of them.
hmm thanks, i guess i still don't know too much about boards and what not, but been doing some research, i don't think a full freestyle board is needed for me, so I've kinda been looking at DC ply or NS SL, probably leaning towards the NS....

Anyone have anything to say against that?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

SL is a great all around board. If I only had one board, it'd probably be the SL.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Need your boot size as well. You really just cannot go wrong with Neversummer. It's just a matter of really pinning down what properties you are looking fir in a board based on your prefered riding style. It is so much more than just park or free ride. Are you looking to really haul ass and lay down hard carved in groomed runs, tight trees, bumps, steeps and chutes? Are you looking more for big jumps or jibbing when you do ride park? By really determining what you do the most on a board, it is easier to match you to a size and flex.

Boot size is 11.

Guess what im looking for will be a playful board, not looking to bomb runs with it. Buttering, good pop, and ocassionally jibbing, but if needed, wouldnt lack the ability to ride groomers and powder. Been researching a bit more about NS and either the sl or the evo would work. Sounds maybe the sl might be a bit better for me. Evo sounds like nearly a pure pArk board but i could be wrong. If any other info is needed please let me know.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

At this point - someone's gotta jump in with Proto CT? It is the love child of the SL and EVO. Like Snowolf says, no board is so specific to park or freeride. As much as the EVO is soft and playful it can still ride the whole mountain, it would just suit a freestyle approach rather than mach 10. And the SL would be happier charging but I saw a guy at the dome pressing the SHIT out of his SL. Proto in the middle!

I definitely wouldn't say that the EVO is only a park board. The Custom X is stiff enough for all of your bombing needs so maybe get something at the other end of the spectrum? The Custom X isn't a great deal stiffer than an SL as I remember.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
At this point - someone's gotta jump in with Proto CT? It is the love child of the SL and EVO. Like Snowolf says, no board is so specific to park or freeride. As much as the EVO is soft and playful it can still ride the whole mountain, it would just suit a freestyle approach rather than mach 10. And the SL would be happier charging but I saw a guy at the dome pressing the SHIT out of his SL. Proto in the middle!

I definitely wouldn't say that the EVO is only a park board. The Custom X is stiff enough for all of your bombing needs so maybe get something at the other end of the spectrum? The Custom X isn't a great deal stiffer than an SL as I remember.
After some more thinking I was leaning towards the evo more than the SL, but now that you mention the proto, I have more thinking to do.

One important question though. As stated earlier I do weigh 200 lbs, so my custom x is 158. I probably wouldn't notice going down to a 157, but is it recommended against to go down to a 154 if I would really want to use this board more in the park?

Called around my local shops today and they said Never Summer sold out before it even hit december so....I have a lot of time to think about it. Would probably end up getting a 2013 model by the time I get it.