First Board - Burton 2012 Lux 143cm - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question First Board - Burton 2012 Lux 143cm

Hi,

I am currently in Australia so the boards are either very expensive or very limited. I bought this a few days ago but not sure if this is right for me.

Height: 5"2 (158cm)
Weight: around 130 pounds
Ability level: Have been on snow for 20+ days. Probably an improver?

My style is a bit of both freeride and freestyle. I do park and ground tricks throughout the day, most of the time just going down blue and green runs. I am not really interested in speed so don't do black often (less than 3 per day). The snowboard size calculator told me I should get a 145-146cm board, but since I don't go down black ones, can I substitute stability with a easier to control length 143cm?
penyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

143 is short. Even for 130 lbs.

Hell i'd be looking 148-150 even if you're doing park.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by penyt View Post
Height: 5"2 (158cm)
Weight: around 130 pounds
Ability level: Have been on snow for 20+ days. Probably an improver?
Welcome to the party

Based on the size calculator that goes with that board on Burton's website, you're at the top end of the weight range for the board you bought. Not necessarily a bad thing but you may be overpowering it. I know you said you're not into speed but a longer board will be a little stiffer and stonger and should make a better jumping machine too.

I like to find the size that puts me right in the middle of the weight range, which usually ends up being the right width so my feet don't have overhang too.

You're pretty much right in the middle of the next size up, the 147, and I'd be more tempted to swap for that board if you can.

Can you ride a 143? Of course... Will it be easier to turn? Probably. But it also could end up being a little too soft for you. Maybe I'm being picky but I'd get the one most closely designed for your weight.

Another thing to consider is if you're planning on gaining or losing weight any time soon. I know only guys tend to plan to gain weight but if you're still growing (no idea how old you are) you want a board to last.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am 23 so I hope I can stop growing sideways and lose some weight before the snow season in Australia. But I doubt I can lose all that much, still will be between 125-130lbs I guess. I've tried my board last night at home and found that it's really soft unlike the ones I have been hiring.

It is a bit hard for me to swap the board for another one. If it's really too short for me I probably have to sell this one off to get another one.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by penyt View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am 23 so I hope I can stop growing sideways and lose some weight before the snow season in Australia. But I doubt I can lose all that much, still will be between 125-130lbs I guess. I've tried my board last night at home and found that it's really soft unlike the ones I have been hiring.

It is a bit hard for me to swap the board for another one. If it's really too short for me I probably have to sell this one off to get another one.
That sucks... My girlfriend tried a Burton Lipstick and a Burton Blender. She really liked the lipstick and it's supposed to be slightly stiffer than the Lux. Do they have demo days in Australia? Great way to try them out first.

Either way good luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hi penyt, I am also from Aus, Melbourne in fact. The thing a lot of people from OS seem to forget is that here we have shitty snowfall and shitty resorts (in comparison to them) Now my wife is 5'7 and about 60kgs (132lbs). She rides a DC biddy 143 and seems to love it, she is still a beginner but the board has been great for her and her progression. She doesn't go super fast yet and still is getting her turns dialled in and in this respect the board has been excellent for her.

Now if you were to be riding powder all day or bombing blues and blacks flat out i would say you would need to go longer but it may be that you can use this board until you progress past it. Where did you buy it from? if you are from melbourne i suggest going in and seeing ballistic to get some more advice, they are really good at pushing all brands and not favouring one so you will get an unbiased opinion.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

I guess I'll have a try with this board around August this year and see how afterwards. Will probably get another board next year anyway for the powder. Can't wait for the snow season!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just use it then. If you're doing slow flatland tricks it'll pass. At the end of the day, ride whatever you got and remember to have fun.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Just use it then. If you're doing slow flatland tricks it'll pass. At the end of the day, ride whatever you got and remember to have fun.
Yep... At the end of the day if I told people I was bombing runs for the last 15 years on a 1995 Kemper Freestyle, they'd say I was full of shit, or stupid. But I still bombed the runs faster than anybody else.