Question about board or rental - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about board or rental

I am a new boarder like brand new only been twice. But my buddy he is hardcore into it and he has this jones mountain twin that he is offering to rent to me at 50 bucks for the whole season which would be much cheaper than renting every time. So I was curious as to whether or not this would be a good board to learn on? He said that it is softer than his other board so he doesnt really like using it and from what I have gathered thus far that is a good thing. It has a camrock design so I don't really know if that's good for a beginner. But I don't really like the park stuff I ride with him and he mainly goes off the beaten path so I need a board that's good for that plus he said if I like it he will sell it to me for 200 so that's pretty sweet too considering. Anyhow some info about me I'm 22 6'2" 195-200 lbs I climb all the time, I lift, I run yadayada basically I have a somewhat athletic background so what do you guys think?
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like it may be too much board for a beginner. What's the size?

Also, good friend you have there renting it to you and not just letting you use it.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

The size is 161 I believe... I know it's in the 160's. And yea I know right lol he is renting it out to own if I like it lol but still it's way cheaper than the rentals I just haven't been able to find out if a beginner can pull it off. I tried to contact jones but they haven't gotten back to me and that was like a week ago.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
my buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
is offering to rent to me at 50 bucks
Something doesn't add up here!

If I were you I'd ride a few more times then decide if you like it (snowboarding that is), if you continue to like it, go out and get a board that's more suitable to what you think you'll need. Being end season you can easily pick up a solid board for that $200 price tag, brand new.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea he is the type of guy who is always trying to make a quick buck but I digress. I think my best bet would be to take it out this weekend and try it worse case scenario I have a bad day trying to learn on it...idk if any one has ridden a jones mountain twin and can give first hand experience with it I would appreciate it lol but I appreciate the responses thus far
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 161 sounds about right. I don't know anything about the board but everything I read about says its a semi-stiff pow board. Not something I'd ride as beginner.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well like I said I am only interested in freeride and have no desire to float around in the park so wouldn't I be looking for a board more oriented to the pow or am I misunderstanding what pow is haha. Also the semi stiff flex wouldn't be a problem would it? I mean what's semi stiff like a 6? I have seen boards labeled as beginner boards with that flex...regardless I'm the newb and I am looking at getting the experts advice lol and you guys are a lot of help but I thought that those reasons listed for why i shouldn't use it are the reasons I should lol
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

You 6'2, and your going off the beaten path which means your powder hunting.. I honestly would just go buy a set up.. Ebay has some good deals along with some of the websites cutting prices.. and your 3 inchest taller then me and i prefer a 155, if i were you id try different sizes before settling on that length cause your in the area i was in a pickle of.. couldnt decide which size i liked and felt most comfortable with. I mostly freeride and aim for speed and go off the beaten path snaggin that untouched terrain at all costs.
dskache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Awesome well ima try out this board this weekend and if I like it then I will just buy it from him for 200 bucks, it's like brand new he only rode it once so it's a pretty great deal I think so we will see
Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

If I were your friend id either tell you to buy it or nothing. Renting to a buddy is pretty weird, but a whole season of use from a beginner probably means that youre gonna beat the shit out of his board. A day or two borrowing is cool, but if you want to use it for the whole season, you buy it.

Anyway, what about boots and bindings?
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote