Need your help - need a board for fun - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need your help - need a board for fun

Hi,
At first, I'd like to asure you, that i read many articles and posts... which leads me to write my own post customized for my needs
I hope you'll understand my post (not english native).

I have 5-6 years of experience with snowboard (one - two weeks per year only). Till last year i didn't try to do any tricks. I tried last year some small jumps and I discovered how fun it is! Well, I'm so on it right now, that i already have three one-week snowboard trips booked in my calendar this and next month to explore this area... and here is the thing.

I'm looking for a board, which will allow me to enjoy my first steps in park, learning standard tricks which you can do on flat, playing with the board and also some basic things in the park, like riding on boxes, rails etc. From the other side - the board still have to allow me to safe and confident do my standard riding (sometimes on ice using hard my edges).

For last three years I used Barton Triumph 169 (not wide unfortunatelly) and i'm very satisfied with it (for standard ride use ).
Last year I've tested for two days 'Ride DH2' in wide and I felt good on it.

My friend (skilled park snowboarder) pointed me three boards that I should consider: Bataleon Evil Twin 159W, Bataleon Airobic 156W and Forum Youngblood Doubledog.

Some data about me:
I'm 189cm tall (I believe it's 6'02), 97kg (about 210lbs), my foot 47-48 (12-13US).
Bindings: drake fifty

I'm excited about TBT, however I'm afraid of what people write - that it's to 'curvy' and it's hard to ride on ice.

What do you think? Which from those boards I should choose or which else I should consider to look at? I don't have much time, first trip to Slovakia next saturday...

Thanks in advance for all answers. I wish you all so much snowboard fun this and next years!

Mikolaj

Last edited by majki; 02-18-2012 at 03:24 AM.
majki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Arbor Blacklist sounds REALLY like it could be your board!!! http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2012...-and-reviewed/

Signal Park Rocker, I don't know if they do a wide but it's supposed to be a great board for what you are looking for.

Arbor Draft for pure park and jibbing.

Skate Banana, gotta throw it out there as a brilliant jibbing board and great for the park and awesome grip - just don't expect to carve on it - ever!

Personally I don't like the ET, its way more all mountain oriented than something like a Never Summer Revolver (I have an EVO - the non wide equivalent and it's a brilliant park/freestyle board) but then coming off a 169 freeride board you'd probably be able to press the shit out of a Evil Twin.

Last edited by syphabiscuit; 02-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
syphabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your fast reply!
Arbor look awesome from this review you've linked. The board on which i can learn park and still be able to not stay behind my curving friends.. that type i need.
I will try to find one in Warsaw maybe, so can try out how my boot would fit it, as there don't have any wide in the offer. From the other hand - in the review you can read that this board is wide itself. This is something that I have to find out, as it's the 'must' for me (burton triumph is not wide enough and i had to ride 15-20 and even then had sometimes problems).

Is anyone here that ride 157 or 160 Arbor Blacklist with big foot like 13US/48EUR?
Hm, he other thing is that i'm already out of range (not much, but still) - 160 (the longest one) is designed to max 93 kg, and my weight is 97-98.
It shouldn't be a big problem, as I'm not too young and won't do magic on it and get 100% from it

Is bataleon ET really bad idea? TBT is controversing technology as I can see, hm.
Any other ideas? I appreciate every opinion.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I read some here and there - it seems, that they don't do wide versions, because this board is already wide itself. Unfortunatelly can't find this model in any online shop that would be able to deliver till next saturday. It seems that this model is the first one of arbors to be sold out. I will dig more.

Still waiting for any other ideas, and somebody who will tell me straigh - no bro, evil twin/airobic is a baaad idea for you!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...pressions.html

I was interested in Bataleon boards and asked everyone I saw on the hill how they liked it if they were riding one. Of course most of them said they loved it and had no bad things to say haha, but some had the same criticisms as NWBoarder says in the review. Feels great in powder, but kinda wonky on hardpack.

One board that I was looking at for my own park board was the K2 Fastplant. Also maybe look at what Nitro and Rome have to offer. Can't tell you what board specifically as I'm not familiar with their lineups, but they make good stuff and are worth a look.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
It ain`t easy being steezy

Depends how important edge hold on ice is to you, the bataleon boards have a bit less grip than boards with new edge tech. I have the fun kink and evil twin and can do presses on both, a bit easier on the fun kink, I'm 5'11'' 170lbs. The evil twin is medium/stiff but it's still very flexible if you really get on it, should be a good board for you. The edge hold on everything except solid ice is about the same as any other board, to really carve hard with TBT you have to set the edge harder or angle the board a bit more since the edge is angled away from the snow. I think the airobic is way too soft for you for anything except jibs.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply.
Well, for some people it's hard to admit that they've done bad choice.. that's our nature.
Board for me just has to handle hardpack confidently. It doesn't have to be curve master, but I need to feel confident on such surface. In that case - I won't risk tbt (unless I'll check on my own, maybe I'll get one for day or two in Risoul - will check it out for sure).

Mentioned blacklist looks very, very nice, the problem is that probably I won't find any near me to find out if my boots are not too big for it (wide is one of main criteria for it)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
It ain`t easy being steezy

Try to demo TBT if you can, I think the edge hold on hardpack is just fine, but if it's real icy you'll want something with new edge tech. If they could put magnetraction on the Evil Twin it would easily be one of the best all around/freestyle boards. The edge grip on the ET now feels the same as any other regular camber board.

Last edited by honeycomb; 02-18-2012 at 03:15 AM.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

i believe the 157 would suit you, perhaps, take a look at its measurements: Arbor
also, if you feel that the weight and longer length is not an issue for your park riding, then 160 should be fine.
Before2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Honeycomb - the thing is that I usually ride on early spring - march, april. You don't have much/any new snow and they try to prepare tracks (tracks is the correct word here? hm..) as good as they can, but till noon it's always hard, especially in places where you don't have much sun. That's why I have to deal with ice/hard even if i don't want to. Thanks for your opinion. Did you use bataleon ET a lot?

Last edited by majki; 02-18-2012 at 06:12 AM.