Quick Advice Needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick Advice Needed

Scenario: I recently purchased a new 2012 K2 Raygun with an online retailer and the board arrived today. However the board that arrived was a demoed 2011 Raygun. My initial plan was to send it back and get a discount on the same board but they are now out of the size I need. After some negotiation, the retailer has given me a couple of options.

Option 1: Keep the board and take an extra $150/off....gives me the 2011 K2 at a price around $130. It has some nicks around ends of the board and there are some scratches on bottom of the board (one small gouge).

Option 2: Return it and take an additional 20% off of any other board in their store. I was pretty set on the Raygun as my board of choice and I dont really know what else would be comparable for what I want (all mountain and mainly groomed runs and some woods action).

Option 3: Return it and have a full refund and take my business elsewhere.

I am fairly new to boarding and I am thinking option 1 is my best bet as I will probably be done with this board in a 2-3 years, if not earlier.

What would you peeps do?
StrictlyButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont know what those go for, but option #1 sounds pretty sweet. The problem with #2 is that youve already set your mind on this one, and if you buy something different you wont really be satisfied since it wasnt the "one" you wanted. After you take it out for a day or two you wont even remember it was used to begin with anyway.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I'd probably go with your first option, that isn't a bad deal, and if you're fairly new to the sport, the condition of the board doesn't seem too bad, and you can always use the money you got back for repairing the board. You would need to ask a sporting goods store (Big 5, Sports Authority, ect.) that has a ski/snowboard section if it were possible and if so, for how much. Who knows? They might be able to repair it to being like new, and you would have saved some money (hopefully).
Good luck!
deafflier0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am disappointed in receiving an used old board and even though money is not an issue, I think passing up on the $150 would be a mistake.

Does anyone know if there were any major changes between the 2011 and 2012 Raygun?

If I do choose to get a different board, what would eveyone recommend as a compareable if not better all mountain board for a Beg.-Int. rider?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

i was reading up thegoodride.com and they said "aside from a few tweaks", the 2012 isn't much different than the 2011. a bit vague i know but they typically are pretty detailed when it comes to outlining major changes between different model years so i'll go with them on faith. if you have some time, i'd take the board to a shop and ask them how much it would cost to fix up the board completely ("like new") and factor it into the final price. it's highly doubtful that it'll eat up the entire $150 you'll receive but it'll give you a better idea of what the final cost of the board will be.

then i'd scout around their website and see if there's anything that catches your eye where the 20% off would satisfy you on the price, or bring the price down to the Raygun + repairs. but then again, the board you have is a really great board to progress on, so you might be just giving yourself more work.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good to here there are no significant changes between the two model years.

Unfortunately I live in the land of the flat and I don't have a local shop to hit up for repairs.... I might have to assume the risk but I still feel like $130 for a slightly demoed 2011 Raygun is a steal. Agree?

I was looking at the turbo dream and some NeverSummer boards but my assumption is that they are too advanced my current skill level.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

It sounds like a good idea to me to keep what you have. Especially since it sounds like they haven't made any real changes. It sounds like it's in reasonable condition so the dings and scratches probably won't be very noticeable.
lethies91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Update: I decided to go back to the online retailer and asked them to take an additional $30 off of the board to cover the repair work and they accepted. Long story short I ended up getting a slightly used 2011 Raygun for $100..... Boom goes the dynamite! That retailer just made a client for life by how they handled their mixup.