Time for a new board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Time for a new board?

I started riding the first of this year after taking 10 years off from any snow sports. Rented a board, fell in love again, went out and bought a new Salomon Ace Magnum 2010/2011 for next to nothing. I have been every weekend since and a few weekdays where I hit the local "ditch" close to work. I now know what type of riding I like and am wondering if its time to get a more advanced/better board, or just stick with what I got and learn to use it.

I am 6' 190 lbs. Currently I am hitting small jumps, kickers, and the board wide boxes, but also enjoy taking the lift all the way to the top, and riding down to the park instead of park runs all day. I am older so wont be getting big air or doing a lot of advanced features, so I am looking for something a little more forgiving but still want to push myself.

I live in Chicago and plan to take one trip out west a season, which is in a few weeks.

Here are the All mountain boards I have been checking out
Yes Basics 159 (Local shop has it for under 300)
Burton Sherlock 160 (around 400)
Burton Process Flying V 159 (around 400)
and after reading a ton of posts on here the Signal Omni gets a lot of mention, though seems to get knocked a ton for bad laminate.

all thoughts, questions, recommendations are welcomed.
aspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm about your size, maybe five pounds less, and this year I've been riding a 155 K2 Parkstar and a 158 Burton Custom Flying V, I like them both for the kind of riding you describe.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendation. A guy at a board shop recommended that one to me but in the shop it was a little out of my price range(500+), but seemed to be a great fit. Just checked evo and they have a new blemished custom flying V 160 for $363
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

read some more reviews the custom flying-v has a funkier v rocker than the rest of the v-rocker boards, it's really pronounced. i'm not the only one around here who thinks that boards is pretty squirrelly and not so much fun to ride. not trying to hate or anything, for the money I though the Joystick by Burton was more fun. Might also consider Ride Machete or DH2, Arbor Element, Gnu Riders' Choice.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

David, the GNU Riders choice looks great. Not sure how the asymmetrical side cuts will effect my riding. I am a strong toe sider band if I fall its always on heel side turns. Maybe this type of cut will help that out a bit? or make it worse?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not all of the riders choice are asymmetrical side cuts, depends on which one you get
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

not sure how the asym sidecut would affect your riding, it definitely made engaging/locking in to heelside turns a little bit easier so if that is your problem it might help, OTOH if your problem is overcommitting and catching an edge, I don't think it will make a difference one way or the other. This is what Gnu says about the asym sidecut:
Quote:
A whole new breed of Twin Tip Geometry that combines a symmetrical nose and tail shape with asymmetrical sidecuts. Although invisible to the naked eye, the heel-side sidecut has a slightly tighter radius than toe-side. This is to help offset the difference in human heel and toe agility (ever notice that toe-side turns are easier than heel-side turns?). The Park Pickle also has a slightly softer/damper wood on the heel-side of the board to help achieve perfect turning balance.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote