Question re: Never Summer Legacy - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

I too just started snowboarding this year after skiing for 10 years. I bought good boots (most important buy), good bindings and an inexpensive noodle board upon the advice of multiple store salesmen. I ride just like you. I'm not interested in the park at all.

After 3 weeks I was ready to move beyond the noodle board and get a stiffer board suitable for my riding style. I was told by multiple people that I wouldn't progress as fast as I have. My guess it's the years of skiing which gave my edge/speed control knowledge that let me get where I am. I'm going to sell my board as soon as the season ends.

My recommendation to you would be to DEMO the board first. If you can link turns confidently and are starting to try to carve, buy the board you think you'll progress to next year. Don't waste your money.

Boards I will be demoing at Killington after a lesson
1. Never Summer SL (my fiance likes next years model over this years' because "It's red so it goes fast")
2. K2 Slayblade
3. Ride Berzerker
4. Maybe a Nitro or Nidecker if the shop convinces me to try one.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Detuning means taking a file to the edges to reduce the "catchiness". It's a bit of a religious issue. I personally own a Heritage and I've never detuned anything, and it hasn't hurt me. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

As for wide vs regular board, a wider board means more distance from center to edge, which means instead of your toe (or heel) pushing down over the edge, it's pushing down before the edge. This increases the amount of effort required to put the board on edge -- maybe by only 5 or 10 percent, but by the end of the day you'll want that 5 or 10 back, believe me It also changes the way you edge, since you'll have to put more effort into lifting the heel (or toe) to compensate.

Anyway, my first board was a Morrow Lithium. When I got the Heritage, I discovered the difference between the Morrow and the Heritage was significant. And it did take some getting used to. But as for "too much board", think of it like the difference between a Chevy Impala and a Ferrari. It's hard to get in trouble with the Impala because you just can't get it going that fast. With the Ferrari you can kill yourself a whole bunch with little effort. But if you respect the power of the Ferrari and drive within your limits, you're in no more danger than you would be with the Impala. Rider > Board, as we say. So get the NS, realize you're getting a board that can take you down the hill way the hell faster than you can handle, can turn you way faster than you're ready for, and just take it easy while learning.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

What's this noise about "next year's model"? Where do you find info like that?

I've seen boards on here like the NS Cobra, and then I've seen the NS Circuit elsewhere online...yet neither of these are on their website. All they have are this year's models (at least as far as I can find).

How are you finding next year's models?
PenguinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Great advice, Donutz...and well put. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can appreciate the advice about not getting a wide board with a 10 or 11 boot. I'm admittedly leaning towards the Legacy due to looks...I should probably get the SL or the Heritage if I want a NS board. That being said...with a 10 boot, the rental shop gave me a 157 wide (I'm 5'11", 190lbs) and it's been OK for me...not that I have much to compare it to. I'm thinking I'd get something between 159 & 163 if I purchased (is that too long?).

If I end up with a 10 boot (which I think I will), I'll probably go to the normal width boards for sure.

Last edited by PenguinNinja; 02-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wiredsport has posted 2013 posts on a lot of board company's. If I can find a link I'll link it

found it
2013 gear preview reference page 11

Last edited by Rider161; 02-23-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinNinja View Post
What's this noise about "next year's model"? Where do you find info like that?

I've seen boards on here like the NS Cobra, and then I've seen the NS Circuit elsewhere online...yet neither of these are on their website. All they have are this year's models (at least as far as I can find).

How are you finding next year's models?
Google is amazing. Search, "2013 Never Summer SL" go to images. My local shop owner at the Kilted Yak in Akron told me they didn't change the SL, or Heritage this year. The Cobra is too much of a powder board for where I'll ride. He prefers the SL over the Heritage for East Coast riding and has both. I'll be able to demo both boards in 3 weeks for myself.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Im responding cause i had about the same amount of experience as you when i bought my legacy. I didnt find it hard to transition into or anything. In fact it rode better and easier then anything i had rented. I love it I just like to charge the mountain and push myself to go faster. I hit some rollers too. It is definatley stiff. Its also a really stable board tho through anything Ive put it through.
Bretfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what you learn on. Snowboarding is snowboarding, and if you learn on something that's supposed to be a little harder to ride, it makes you a better rider in the long run. I believe that I learned on a camber board with little flex, and I didn't have any more trouble than other people do.

Anyway, I'm not a board expert, or experienced at all, but that's just my opinion.

(I'm looking to pick up a reverse camber board in the end of season deals this year - never ridden one before, but if it's true that you don't catch edges as much with them, it'll be fun to try it out. Does anyone have information about demos? I'd like to do one but I've never seen them advertised except for a NS demo day at Sunday River which is during the week, while I'm in school )

Last edited by Matt578; 02-23-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Matt578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Detuning means taking a file to the edges to reduce the "catchiness". It's a bit of a religious issue. I personally own a Heritage and I've never detuned anything, and it hasn't hurt me. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

As for wide vs regular board, a wider board means more distance from center to edge, which means instead of your toe (or heel) pushing down over the edge, it's pushing down before the edge. This increases the amount of effort required to put the board on edge -- maybe by only 5 or 10 percent, but by the end of the day you'll want that 5 or 10 back, believe me It also changes the way you edge, since you'll have to put more effort into lifting the heel (or toe) to compensate.

Anyway, my first board was a Morrow Lithium. When I got the Heritage, I discovered the difference between the Morrow and the Heritage was significant. And it did take some getting used to. But as for "too much board", think of it like the difference between a Chevy Impala and a Ferrari. It's hard to get in trouble with the Impala because you just can't get it going that fast. With the Ferrari you can kill yourself a whole bunch with little effort. But if you respect the power of the Ferrari and drive within your limits, you're in no more danger than you would be with the Impala. Rider > Board, as we say. So get the NS, realize you're getting a board that can take you down the hill way the hell faster than you can handle, can turn you way faster than you're ready for, and just take it easy while learning.
This is pretty much spot on. I also started on a Morrow board and now ride the legacy and the difference is beyond obvious. Just take it easy and don't get ahead of yourself and you'll be fine!
cmubennett is offline   Reply With Quote