Question re: Never Summer Legacy - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The SL is a great board to learn on. Fuck the graphics. Go with the SL. You can't even see the graphics when riding. It isn't even that much different. Think of steering a boat vs. steering a go cart. That's extreme, and yes the rocker portion will help, but still, why bother?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Very interesting post for me....I'm in the same dedecisión..
Legacy o Heritage X......
Massimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

I started this season with a full rocker board. Had multiple people tell me it was an ideal board to learn on. I was barely able to link turns at the start of the season and figured it would take a while for me to outgrow a beginner board because I'm not a very aggressive rider.

I had to buy a new board halfway through the season because I'd hit such a wall with the rocker board that I was considering giving up on snowboarding altogether. I felt like I could not turn it, it could not hold an edge at all on hard pack or ice and I was miserable. I was close to being convinced that I just sucked at boarding when I switched boards with a friend (her board being longer, stiffer, and full camber) and realized that at least a big part of it was the board, not me.

I've had my Never Summer Pandora for a little over a month now and I could not have made a better choice. I've made huge amounts of progress since I got it and can now keep up with my friends. I've only caught an edge once on my first day out on the board.

A full rocker might be easier for the first few days on the mountain, but I'm not the only one to have issues with that type of board after a pretty short period of time (I was about 6 days of riding into the season when I started to have encounter issues). You catch fewer edges with a rocker board, but I'm not sure the trade off is worth it in the long run for many people. It certainly wasn't for me.

You sound like you are well past the point where you would benefit from full rocker IMO. Get the Never Summer! Don't get a wider board than you need just for looks though. Get the one that fits you and your riding style the best or you won't stay happy with it for long no matter how sweet the graphics are (on graphics alone I'd have gotten the Lotus, which would be way too much board for me).
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You have to tell us, what full rocker board you used. Not all rockers are created equal
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Go with the SL 158. Great board... and is not too stiff... i rode one at 210 and felt amazing
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
You have to tell us, what full rocker board you used. Not all rockers are created equal
Certainly they aren't all the same, but I was on a 2011 Ride Rapture, which would seem to be exactly the type of board the guy at the shop was suggesting he get. If I were riding park I might have kept the board, but for an all-mountain intermediate I found it was total crap. Given that the OP has been learning on a cambered rental board, seems pretty happy with his progress on that and has no interest in park, I doubt he'd like the ride of a cheaper, full-rocker board aimed at beginners.
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default Never Summer

I ride in the East and more often than not at Killington. Never Summers presence on the hill has grown substantially over the past few years since they released the RC versions of their decks. I have several friends from beginners to experts that are rocking their boards and have been very pleased. The RC camber profile gives a ton of confidence by giving you gobs of edgehold between the feet, yet keeps the deck from being to grabby at the nose and tips to aid in reducing in "catching an edge".

I was able to get a few runs on the new Cobra a few weeks ago and was blown away, (Out of Bounds/basinshopping.com manager had one that he was riding). It rode like an SL on crack. Lighter, Livelier and faster.
KillingtonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As has been said, if you think the Sl/Legacy suits your riding style then go for the SL, you don't need a wide with size 10 feet.

I love my Legacy, it's my second season riding and it's helped me progress immensely. The Rocker/Camber hybrid suits me perfectly and I've not caught a single edge all season even though I've made mistakes that should have resulted in an epic wipeout. The RC has saved my ass more than a few times.
  • Boyne Mountain: 1
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll absolutely love the Legacy. If you really want to go softer, which you don't need to, you can try the Revolver.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #30 (permalink)

you definitely dont need wide board (graphic or not). I thought SL and Legacy had same graphics and color options. It will be pretty stupid to get wide board. And i do think it is way too much board for you. SL is a good middle of pack board that does everything ok but it may be too stiff for beginners. It will be less responsive when riding at low speed and it will be harder to do tricks or rails or simply link turns. SL would be good for carving and hitting big jumps, not going slow and trying to link turns. If you really want never summer board i would look at evo instead or like some others said invest in good boots and bindings. And just buy a decent cheap used board till you know exactly what you want. You will figure more out about what you like to do on snowboard after year or two. Park, steeps charging etc. Plus you wont have to invest so much all at once.

try SaltyPeaks.com | Search Result: used
or craigslist.org boardlocker.com or ebay or classified on this forum
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote