Question re: Never Summer Legacy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question re: Never Summer Legacy

Alright guys...new here. I have a question that I hope you all can help me with.

I just started snowboarding recently, and I love the hell out of it. This, combined with the fact that recent family events have left me in a position to hit the mountain WAY more than I used to for years to come, has lead me to want to buy a board.

I've snowboarded a total of 6 full days. First day was brutal. Second day was better, but still rough. 3rd day and beyond, I've taken to it, and am flying down the mountain with no issues...only falling when i try to do something stupid.

So far, I've only ridden rental boards, all of which have been regular camber. Based on a little research, some word of mouth, and other things, I've found myself drawn towards a Never Summer Legacy as my first board. Main reason is I want to buy a board that I can use for years to come, and will hold up. I don't have enough access to the mountain to be buying a board to "learn on", b/c I'll be "learning" for years, given I may only have a week or two per year on the mountain.

The guy at the local board shop says that the NS boards are "too stiff" and that I should get a cheaper Soloman or Burton to "learn on", and insisted that I need a pure rocker board, which (based on what I've learned through research) is more for doing tricks, etc. I'm more interested in flying down the mountain, carving, and some small jumps, if any. I'm almost 30...not interested in spending all day on a halfpipe or jumping at a park. I prefer the NS Legacy b/c it appears to me that it's a good mix of an all-mountain board & a park board.

So...my question: Is the NS Legacy too much board for me? If I buy it, will I be happy with it? Should I just go with a cheaper, pure reverse camber board?

Any feedback you guys & gals can give on NS boards for "beginners" (I would consider myself more of an intermediate, TBH) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
PenguinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do the research yourself..it's the best part. Don't spend too much on a board and invest in good fitting comfy boots. and most of all a season pass to get as many riding days as possible. Welcome to the addiction!
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

So....is that a "No"?

I've done the research...lots of different opinions out there. I don't mind spending $500 on a board that I love rather than $350 on a board that I'm "Meh" about.

I will invest in good boots.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

welcome to the forums.

just to be sure: you know the legacy is a wide board? just asking because you didn't post your boot size.

it's definitely a great board though the camber profile is not ideal for a beginner. if you're willing to bite through that, why not? from what you're saying, I'd even say the heritage might be an even better fit. it is more freeride oriented than the legacy. regardless which one you buy, make sure you have the edges detuned at nose and tail.

oh, and +1 on the boots. most important part of your equipment.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, and yes, I am aware it's a wide board. I'm either a 10 or 11 in boots, so I should probably go with the SL or the Heritage (both of which are regular width), but I prefer the look of the Legacy. What is the downside to going with a wide board if I end up with a size 10 boot?

What does it mean to have the edges "detuned" at nose and tail, and why would I want to do that?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A wide board will be harder to turn. With a size 10/11 you shouldn't need a wide. Detuning means (you tube?) taking the "sharpness" off your edges right where nose and tail meet the side-edges of the board which is where you initiate the turn. When learning is "suggested" to detune in order to catch less "edges" and fall. Not a necessity...it's more depending on the type of snow you ride and your confidence.

I love my camber board and still have to try a rocker...Again..your best tool is your season pass...or anything that allows you to ride that board. I'd rather have a basic board and a season pass, than a really cool board that I can ride 5 times a year.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you go with a wide board and have to little of a "footprint" it will just be harder to manipulate the board than if you had a larger "footprint"
^ what Kirk said
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

you probably don't need a wide board. get your boots first and then see what size you end up with. graphics should by the way be one of the last factors when choosing a board. and choosing a wide board with regular feet is not a good idea. you wouldn't do yourself a favor.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

The legacy is a great board, I've been on mine for about 40 days out now and I love it. That being said it is a wide and depending on how long of a board you get/need it can be pretty stiff. It works prefect for me as I don't go to the park except to ride through, and at 34 am no way looking to take jumps. The legacy bombs the mountain well and controls quite well, overall it's a solid choice.

That being said my main adivce would be to not buy a board based on how it looks, but on how it will fit your riding stlye and help you progress. Looks are good, but not everything. Lastly if your going to be on a board for a long time, do research. Do tons of research. Go to demo days, rent from different mountains, do what you can to make the best informed choice that you can.

Good luck!
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Legacy is a good board all-round board that you'll be happy with in the long run.

The guy at your local shop wasn't giving you bad info I think. Learning on a soft, cheap, catch-free board can ease progression into snowboarding. But you want a board that you'll be happy with after you've progressed past beginner/intermediate right?

The camber profile on Never Summer boards does lessen catching edges, but the edges themselves are 90 degrees with 0 bevel on the base edge. It can be a bit unforgiving in that regard hehe. Stiffness is very subjective and as far as learning on, riding a stiffer board than you're used to does make it a bit more difficult. It's certainly nothing you can overcome though. If sized right, the Legacy would be considered a mid-flex board by most.

The Legacy will do everything you want it to do, but keep looking at different boards and brands to make sure of what you want. Lots of good deals right now from many different quality companies.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote