Thoughts on Board for Early Intermediate Groomer Rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on Board for Early Intermediate Groomer Rider

I just picked up the sport this winter after 10 years of skiing. I decided to learn snowboard this at the local hill in Akron, OH for something to do this winter. It was going to come down to much needed new ski equipment, or snowboard equipment. I ended up on this forum!

I picked up good, comfy boots and Gnu Mutant bindings with an inexpensive Rossi Trickstick Noodle of a board. I realized I was ready to progress beyond my board when I learned what people meant by board chatter and stability at speed! I stick to groomed runs, well, groomed ice this season and would hit powder in a heartbeat if it could ever be found here on the ice coast.

I'm heading to Killington, Vt in March and will have the opportunity to demo this board as well as some others. What are your thoughts on the below boards? My current leading candidate is the Never Summer SL at the recommendation of the local shop owned by a fantastic local boarder and it's reviews.

1. Never Summer SL
2. Never Summer Heritage
3. Ride Berzerker
4. K2 SlayBlade
5. Nitro or Nidecker board?

Thanks for any feedback!
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wish I could help...I can't, but I'm in your same position in terms of experience. I look forward to the answers you get here. This appears to be the best place on the internet to get good snowboarding advice!
PenguinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle4Fun View Post
I just picked up the sport this winter after 10 years of skiing. I decided to learn snowboard this at the local hill in Akron, OH for something to do this winter. It was going to come down to much needed new ski equipment, or snowboard equipment. I ended up on this forum!

I picked up good, comfy boots and Gnu Mutant bindings with an inexpensive Rossi Trickstick Noodle of a board. I realized I was ready to progress beyond my board when I learned what people meant by board chatter and stability at speed! I stick to groomed runs, well, groomed ice this season and would hit powder in a heartbeat if it could ever be found here on the ice coast.

I'm heading to Killington, Vt in March and will have the opportunity to demo this board as well as some others. What are your thoughts on the below boards? My current leading candidate is the Never Summer SL at the recommendation of the local shop owned by a fantastic local boarder and it's reviews.

1. Never Summer SL
2. Never Summer Heritage
3. Ride Berzerker
4. K2 SlayBlade
5. Nitro or Nidecker board?

Thanks for any feedback!
I'd go for the SL if you are looking for a do-it-all board that will be pretty good for where you are now while still letting you progress. NS gets stroked a lot around here and for good reason...their construction quality is top notch and they have a great warranty. Anyway, your best bet would be to demo a few and see what fits your style the most. You may not even be able to tell the difference.
TBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
I'd go for the SL if you are looking for a do-it-all board that will be pretty good for where you are now while still letting you progress. NS gets stroked a lot around here and for good reason...their construction quality is top notch and they have a great warranty. Anyway, your best bet would be to demo a few and see what fits your style the most. You may not even be able to tell the difference.
If he has a noodle he will be able to tell.

The NS SL is a great choice IMO to cruise the groomers. Very damp, eliminating chatter. No experience with the other boards so perhaps someone else will chime in. I will just say the SL is not a bad choice. I had one last year and it improved my confidence for speed big time. Because it was so smooth and easy to control (not stiff).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you get a lot of ice - and it sounds like you do - you may want to look at Mervin boards (meaning Lib tech & GNU) as Magnetraction (MTX) really helps with that.

The equivalents of the SL would be the Lib Tech TRS or the GNU Rider's Choice.

Don't get me wrong, the SL is a great board (I own one) and it does pretty well on ice, but not as well as my GNU.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
If he has a noodle he will be able to tell.

The NS SL is a great choice IMO to cruise the groomers. Very damp, eliminating chatter. No experience with the other boards so perhaps someone else will chime in. I will just say the SL is not a bad choice. I had one last year and it improved my confidence for speed big time. Because it was so smooth and easy to control (not stiff).
I think he means I might not be able to tell much between similar boards from different manufacturers.

I have noticed that at speed my Rossi Trickstick seems to throw me around over bumps much more than I ever felt on skis. I'm thinking it's the very loose nature of the board compared to what I'm used too.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
I am definitely going to demo before I buy. I can demo all of the boards I listed below at Killington, Vt in 3 weeks.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0p View Post
If you get a lot of ice - and it sounds like you do - you may want to look at Mervin boards (meaning Lib tech & GNU) as Magnetraction (MTX) really helps with that.

The equivalents of the SL would be the Lib Tech TRS or the GNU Rider's Choice.

Don't get me wrong, the SL is a great board (I own one) and it does pretty well on ice, but not as well as my GNU.
This has been the worst winter I can remember. It's never been this bad. The local hill has remade their base three times. They are down to the bottom of their base again. Luckily the temperature is dropping tonight so they can make snow and we expect 3-5in. this weekend.

I did do a free demo of the Rossi One Magtech with the same magne-traction side cut technology. The edge hold on the ice was much improved. In the soft snow it was REALLY catchy though. I found it to be too catchy for the two extremes we had that day. Ice to spring snow conditions in the first week of February, back to ice. The ride at speed was much improved. Unfortunately I won't be able to demo a libtech or a Gnu before the end of the season so I don't think I'll be looking at either of those companies.

Then I demoed a Jones Flagship. Holy crap what a board! Very, very fast and out of my league.