Park 75% Jibbing 25% Kicker board with minimal freeride capabilities? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Park 75% Jibbing 25% Kicker board with minimal freeride capabilities?

I know the title sounds horrible and this is yet again another call for assistance. I would love to say I narrowed down my search to a few boards, and I know that a board is all about personal preference. That being said I have read 30 or so topics on this site ranging from banana tech fights (where Nivek hates them) to the topics talking about the Signal Light being fought to death for. Now for the actual question:

Stats: 11 years riding experience. Current board is a 2009 153 Atomic Hatchet with 2008 Ride SPI DFC convertible bindings. This board I think is at a 6 flex and I can ride it in powder, down blacks and around anything. However the construction on this board is horrible. Iím 5í 11Ē, 160lbs
Interested In: A snowboard that will be used 80% park and 20% cruising with a bit more flex then the Hatchet. In the park I do rails about 75% of the time and the rest I do 20í-30í kickers. Also I want it to be a rocker, I tested out a NS at Big White and loved the feel, but it was just to heavy compared to my hatchet.

Boards I am looking at:
K2 WWW: I bought this in a 2012 154. This seems great for the rails but many have said itís too noodly for any kicker and any free riding.

Rome Artifact 153: Seems to be the same as the K2 WWW but I can find it for $100 cheaper and people here seem to prefer it over the Weapon because itís stiffer.

Ride Machete/Kink Again I am looking for something with a bit more flex then my hatchet and I donít know if the Kink would be too flexy or if the Machete would be too stiff.

GNU Riders Choice: I have wanted a GNU for a while but at ~$390 and the idea that this board will be used for jibbing a lot I donít know if this is the best option. It seems to have the right flex but again I donít know.

The other boards I have looked at are the Signal Light Rocker and the Park Pickle but those are on the further list. I wish I could demo the boards but no where in my area appears to regularly demo any of these. Iím going to assume this will be a opinion based topic but really any feedback is good feedback to me (and I donít know how different the Weapon is to the RC or the Machete).
lothia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The GNU or K2 ....and in before NS recommendations.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Look at the Capita Stairmaster or if you want reverse camber tech, check out the Horrorscope. Both soft and jibby and can handle jumps and are fun to cruise on.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Give the mod rocker a look and also take a look at the signal park flat.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would put the Rocker light at the top of your list. For starters its the only one with a Sintered base, other than the mentioned Park Flat. Super fun to jib and still plenty of board to jump.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all
@Nivek I have read many of your posts suggesting the Signal Rocker Light with it being the only one in that price range with the Sinister Base. It would be a better option then the Park Flat it seems, but that's just from me thinking having a flat board outside the park would be much easier to catch an edge then with a rocker-flat-rocker like the Weapon, Artifact or Horrorscope.

The horroscope may be a bit to buttery for what I need though.
The Mod Rocker seems it would be able to handle everything but rails better which might make it a better one then the Artifact.

Surprised no one commented on the Machete which is generally brought up in these topics.

Edit: Nivek you posted a blog post about the light, would search for it but if you can repost it that would be awesome.

Last edited by lothia; 02-24-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

If you liked the feel of NS, you're probably going to want a board with center rocker/ camber-rocker-camber as three stage isn't going to have quite the same feel and flat is going to feel mostly like camber. Look at the Forum Destroyer Doubledog as an alternative.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

On a minor note I realized now that the 154 K2 weapon has a suggested shoe size up to 9 and I'm in 10.5's and normally 11's in snowboard boots.
Looking at the GNU Street Series more then the RC now as I want a more park oriented then mountain board.
The Signal Rocker Light which is very interesting and the Capita Horrorscope.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothia View Post
Thanks all
@Nivek I have read many of your posts suggesting the Signal Rocker Light with it being the only one in that price range with the Sinister Base. It would be a better option then the Park Flat it seems, but that's just from me thinking having a flat board outside the park would be much easier to catch an edge then with a rocker-flat-rocker like the Weapon, Artifact or Horrorscope.

The horroscope may be a bit to buttery for what I need though.
The Mod Rocker seems it would be able to handle everything but rails better which might make it a better one then the Artifact.

Surprised no one commented on the Machete which is generally brought up in these topics.

Edit: Nivek you posted a blog post about the light, would search for it but if you can repost it that would be awesome.
There's a review on angrysnowboarder.com and his new site has a better search program, just search it. He let me ride it for a few weeks after. In my opinion once fully broken in it isn't quite as jumpable as he put it, we differed there a bit, but for someone that isnt hitting anything over 40ft and spinning those 40ftrs it will be just fine.

As far as Flat vs. Rocker light, its really just the feel. They ride almost the same except the Rocket Light has raised tips and it takes that split second longer to get the POP out of them cause you have to get past the rocker before you engage. That is general between all rocker vs flat though not just Signal. The whole deal with not catching your edge as much with rocker is that the contact pts are no longer under the most pressure when you zero out the camber. Flat camber will be tighter than rocker, but you still get the benefit of pressure relief at your contact pts.

Either will do what you're looking for. Its really just down to whether you like the feel of rocker or flat better.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the 2011 Capita Horrorscope FK in a 153 with size 12 boots and the board is pretty good off of any jumps 45ft and under like the recommended but it's a phenomenal jibbing board but when you get alot of speed it likes to wash out hence the recommendation of 45ft and under for jumps. If you are looking at hitting bigger jumps though i would suggest the kink as it is stiffer yet can still jib really good.
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote