Help with board please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with board please

Hi sorry for another one of these threads.

Im 5'8 140 currently looking at a 2012 Skate banana 152

I like the idea of being able to do some jibs / park / jumps (not huge) and then just go hit a run at some decent speed. Basically looking for a do it all board

It seems like people have mixed views on the SB. Is the Park Pickle any better? People on this forum have a boner for Never Summer so I expect the Evo to be suggested. I ride mostly groomers / hard pack but plan on traveling every now an then.

Any suggestions?
Woody4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I got the skatebanananana I love mine. It meets all of your needs.

I've never rode the PP, but I'm sure it's about the same.

yes, so many Boners for Never Summer on here.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If the shoe fits or in this case NS Evo but there are a lot of choices I'll just link this
park-75-jibbing-25-kicker-board
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I weigh about the same as you and bought a 152 SB recently. I like it a lot, and the magne traction is great. Its mid flex, so soft enough to play in the park but stiff enough to do everything else too. I dont do huge jumps or bomb blacks so I cant really give my opinion on that, but apparently the SB doesnt shine in those areas. Some places say that the pickle is the same board with a different sidecut, and some say its stiffer. I dont know which is the truth, but ive come to my own anecdotal conclusion from what ive read that they have the same stiffness.

NS = schwing!, for sure. Ive never ridden one so I dont know anything about them. There seems to be a lot of SB hate here, although it seems to mostly come from a few posters who somehow manage to find every skate banana thread. Everything I read/heard/watched about it before I bought it basically said it was an awesome board, but here the opinions were a bit different. Personal preference for sure, but I like mine and my riding checklist sounds similar to yours.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've ridden NS, solid good boards. What can you say. The Evo does sound good for what you want to do. Also the proto.

I'm now on an Arbor Coda, and next on my list, a Rider's Choice to see what mervin is all about

Do you want jib, or jump, or split evenly is the question you need to answer. I don't jib, so I did move up the scale from the Evo. But it handled speeds quite well I must admit.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Banana? Gross. Unless you ride with your weight centered all the time all day. Which is dumb.

Arbor Westmark, Signal Park (yes camber, its ok to ride camber still), Nitro Pro One Off Kooley, Bataleon Whatever, or a Rome Reverb Rocker.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm gonna bring the yes great beauties of history in the mix. similar feel to the banana though the camber section between the feet adds control and the serrated edges are close to magnetraction. IMO, it's the go-to board for you.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I'm gonna bring the yes great beauties of history in the mix. similar feel to the banana though the camber section between the feet adds control and the serrated edges are close to magnetraction. IMO, it's the go-to board for you.
Serrated edges are crap. They do nothing. Also camrock has a vastly different feel than center rocker.

Is it the type of deck he's looking for? Yes. Does the almighty me like it? No. Average edgehold as the serrations did nothing, good stability, nothing impressive in a press but also nothing to complain about, and fantastic pop... when you hit it. The pop zone for the Great _____ of History is so close to your foot its almost under it, making it very hard to get right. Out of an hour I think I nailed the spot just right a total of like 4 times. It's just not designed right. The snap in a camrock has to be designed to be the rocker pt. Outside of that and it will feel mushy, inside of it - as is the case with the G_oH - and it becomes elusive.

There isn't really a great all park camrock out there that I can think of. The T9 is a great board but is really too jump oriented I think, the YES Optimistic (and possibly its replacement the Pick Your Line, if it really is the same) is a great all mountain shtik, and the Signal Omni is a great quiver killer all mountain slip slide sidways fat ski. But I have yet to ride a camrock that kills the park super hard. Maybe Signal 2014...hint hint.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote