End of season deals for a beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default End of season deals for a beginner

Hey guys and gals. Welcome to another installment of the neverending "what to buy" threads. I'm a really beginner rider. Went twice in college (hard to believe that was a decade ago) and a couple times this season. I'm trying to convince my wife it's a good idea for me to invest in a set up, but with a 2 year old at home and another on the way, I won't get out more than a couple times a season. That said, I'm looking for a decent set up that I can grow into that will last me several years, but won't break the bank-- something in the $300-400 range.

Key info: 6'2", ~200lbs, size 10.5-11 boot (size 11 Hails) New England mountains, casual rider looking to ride groom, all mountain, some tricks but little-to-no park/halfpipe.

Most of my local shops are in the 30% to 40% range, and I've got a buddy that can get me some decent shape Burton gear from the Stowe toy-demo shop he works at for 50% off. I'm looking for a mid stiffness board, and comfy binding boot set up. I picked up Burton's Hail boots, but want to compare them to the Rider X's my buddy set aside for me--either boot is going to run me about $130-$140. Other than that, most of my research has been in Burton gear, but would love input on some other good-tech for your buck gear.

Last edited by fostpaint; 03-20-2008 at 01:08 PM.
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Arrow Size 11 Boot=Mid Wide/Wide

Here are two wide boards that are similar to Burton. Forum is the little sister of Burton, under the same roof. Rome snowboards chief designer is the mastermind behind some of Burtons greatest boards. These should be in your price range:

FORUM Darkness Wide Snowboard
See details

Market price: $399.99
Our price: $279.95
save 30%

ROME Manual Snowboard
See details

Market price: $320.00
Our price: $192.00
save 40%
Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Blend View Post
Here are two wide boards that are similar to Burton. Forum is the little sister of Burton, under the same roof. Rome snowboards chief designer is the mastermind behind some of Burtons greatest boards. These should be in your price range:

FORUM Darkness Wide Snowboard
See details

Market price: $399.99
Our price: $279.95
save 30%

ROME Manual Snowboard
See details

Market price: $320.00
Our price: $192.00
save 40%
Cool. Thanks for the info. I've heard mixed answers on whether I need a wide board with a size 11 boot. You think so? Or is a mid-wide more appropriate?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm your exact size (6'2", 200) I've got a Never Summer System 161 and a Burton Custom 162. Both are freaking great all mountain boards. I tend to like the Custom a little more because it has a little more pop, but the NS is on par, and it's absolutely bullet proof.

Sierra has Customs on sale for $250 shipped, and you can find Rome 390s, Burton Cartels, or Union Forces for around $120 = 370 for a sick setup. Just a thought, I would also look at the Never Summer SL, Rome Agent, and Atomic Raden (like snowolf said). Pretty much any of the bigger manufactures make at least one great all mountain board. Take a good look online, and shop around locally.

I like 161-163 for our size, and as long as your boots aren't gigantic, you should need a wide board. A mid-wide wouldn't be a bad idea, and I wouldn't go lower than like 25.2
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

honestly i would stay away from the burton custom bindings...i had those for a while and they were bending way too much all over the place on me (i was about 220 when i had them). try to get some bindings with a better base, like rome's glass injected stuff, i have some targas and they are sick, and you can get the arsenals for pretty cheap i know. try k-5 boardshop online. also check out other brands...im not saying dont get burton but definatly look at others too.
AZred60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
dingozlife

i have burton mission's to compare to rome targas, quality and price, rome's are great.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input guys. Food for thought, no doubt.

What are thoughts on Burton's P1's? Too Stiff for a beginner? My buddy found some NIB at the demo shop for 50% off.

Also, is now the time to be deal hunting? Or wait until later spring/summer? I'm not sure if deals are going to get better or just be gone if I wait it out.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default On Bindings:

So everyone seems to love the Rome bindings, which seems to be why they've sold out everywhere I look. Currently, I'm scoping these as my alternatives, all around the same price point based on sale prices I can find:

Burton P1
K2 Formula
Ride SPI

Anyone have a recommendation among the 3? Or recommendations on sites to look for the Romes on? (everyone seems to have sm/med)
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
kyahbean

If you are looking for a deal, def check your local board shops because they are all having killer sales right now. I got my new Burton setup at the local Ski Market for 40% off.

Do you live anywhere within driving distance of Albany, New York? There's an annual huge Ski/Snow Expo at Empire State Plaza every year in the Fall. A ton of companies/ski shops/mountains all set up stands and sell closeout gear for 50% - 70% off. I got my first snowboard there...boots/bindings/board/pants/jacket, all of it totaling under $400. If you are willing to wait and it's plausible for you to drive there this fall, you'll save a ton of money and get way better gear.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostpaint View Post
Anyone have a recommendation among the 3? Or recommendations on sites to look for the Romes on? (everyone seems to have sm/med)
Check K-5 Boardshop - Your Source For Quality Boarding Equipment.. It looks like they still have some L/XL Targas on sale for $159
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote