burton vs yes - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default burton vs yes

Hey guys i was looking for some feedback on my next board.
Im 6'1" 170 lbs with size 12 feet salomon f22 footprint reduction
I ride mostly pow and groomers when it sucks like this season. Not much park unless my friends insist.

Ive narrowed it down to burton custom x 159w, burton custom flying v 158w, or yes pick your line 161w

Ive been snowboarding since i was a wee child and am confident i could ride any of these boards in variable conditions and be okay, but what i really wanna know is how the custom x and flying v ride in powder and groomers, respectively.

Also, does anyone know of any vendors with the yes pick your line 161w in stock cause my search has proved fruitless.

Last edited by seulenstein; 02-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.
seulenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess the main question is how the x rides in powder, i dont wanna have to hold the nose up all day
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pick your line is a big mountain, powder influenced board. Custom X is a cambered stiff aggressive all mountain deck, Flying V is more of your do it all, all mountain board.

All three boards are very different from each other.

Yes Big City is closer to your Flying V board, although stiffer and more aggressive. Somewhere between that and your Custom X.

Either way, none of original three you listed really compare to each other.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 02-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

brand-wise I would go with yes, probably the big city. I love the camber profile. allows you to be aggressive and the float in pow is insane. I've got the big boobs of history and I can't find a weak point.

IMO, flying v isn't as good as comparable profiles such as rc by never summer and the custom x just won't float as well.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Pick your line is a big mountain, powder influenced board. Custom X is a cambered stiff aggressive all mountain deck, Flying V is more of your do it all, all mountain board.

All three boards are very different from each other.

Yes Big City is closer to your Flying V board, although stiffer and more aggressive. Somewhere between that and your Custom X.

Either way, none of original three you listed really compare to each other.
I'm aware.
I was more looking for someone whose rode the X to tell me how it rides in powder and someone whose rode the flying v on groomers to tell me how it handles.
If you have any answers to the questions i actually asked that would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
brand-wise I would go with yes, probably the big city. I love the camber profile. allows you to be aggressive and the float in pow is insane. I've got the big boobs of history and I can't find a weak point.

IMO, flying v isn't as good as comparable profiles such as rc by never summer and the custom x just won't float as well.
thanks for the input, ive really been considering the big city too, thing is i almost never do park and i dont really see the point in buying an all-mountain/freestyle board when i do freeride 99% of the time
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've ridden all three.

1). Custom X - it's camber. If you've ridden camber, you know how camber rides powder. Lot of back leg drive. Rider is always greater than board, however if you want effortless float, this isn't it. Great groomer board, great board to pop off everything in sight. Very aggressive. If you aren't a pretty good rider already, this board can ride you.

2). Big City - forget what you read about freestyle. It's a twin shape, which is why they say that, but it's directional with a set back. Nobody would ever classify this board as freestyle focused board. It's a directional, fairly aggressive board, but much more forgiving that the Custom X. Camrock tech for some power and grip, rockered tip and tail for float in the powder. Very good groomer board, very stable at speed. And if you keep the size in control, a board that you could make the whole mountain your park, but definitely not a board I would take into a park unless you were hitting the big jump line.

3). Flying V - my opinion but this board sucks on Hard packed. Never Summer and Lib dialed it in (amongst others), Burton missed the board completely. Not much dampening at all. Chattery. Frost bite edges are in the stone age on this board. Not a fan at all. If you want steeps, there are much better boards. If you want a board that can get you through the late afternoon chop, there are better boards. If you want a board to bomb groomers, there are much better boards.

Thats all I got. You need to figure out your riding style from those three boards, and compare them to like boards.

Ie - like rocker under your feet like the flying V? Compare to an SL, TRS, Super Park, etc.

If you want an aggressive cambered stick like the Custom X, check similar options.

If you want a directional hybrid, that is aggressive like a Big City, take a look at Signal Nivek loves, Black Snowboard of Death, and K2 and Ride have some similar stuff in the Highlife, Berzerker, etc.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. Was just saying that all three boards ride differently and have different attributes. Like that Pick Your Line. Pretty much a pow board. Flying V, mountain to some park. Custom X, aggressive all mountain deck at home popping off some sick natural shit in the back country.

For what you originally asked for, a board that you can ride powder when it's there and excel, and excel on groomers when there is zero powder, the board I'd recommend is the Yes Big City. Aggressive, fairly stiff board, with rockered tips for excellent float (I use my Yes Optimistic on deep pow days), and then camber under foot for great edge hold, and controlled chatter when bombing the steeps. It's a directional twin, ie a setback. It's pretty stiff, so you would never jib or make a living on boxes or rails with this board, but would do well in the pipe or on the big boy jump line.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 02-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

sweet. thanks a lot that is exactly what i needed.
i've heard nothing but good things about the big city so far so i think i'm gonna give it a try.
now to find one my size.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My only complaint with the Big City is that I would have liked a little more dampening. That's really it though. It's not poor in that category by any means, but I felt that for the chop, a little more dampening would be nice.

Not going to lie, I'm a Lib Tech fan, and for me, the dampeing of their boards is perfect. Better than most, but not quite as beefy as Never Summer, which IMO, is too much. Just an FYI.