Help picking new board with the right size? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Exclamation Help picking new board with the right size?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first snowboard and I want to make a memorative moment if not a good investment. This is a good time as sales are blasting and doing some searching, I am getting lots to choose from.

I am 6'23 (190 cm), weigh 185 lbs (185 kg) and I am a size 11 in boots (owned last years Burton Ion boots 10/11 reduced foot print), I am an intermediate wanting to go to the next level. I like all-mountain best and with the occasional blissfull powder- that's where it certainly feels comfy easy fun. Nonetheless I really like the park and hops, and I would like to improve/jump even though I am not spending most of my day there.

I have been mostly renting snowboards over the lat 10 years or have been lent out (for logistical reasons). It has been working well like this even with stiff low tech boards, and now it is time to gear up and spend more time on the snow.

Because I am tall and wearing a 11 size boot I would like what would fit best my style with those boards below (without planting my feet into the snow and preferably avoiding Wide boards):

Libtech Phoenix Jamie 160 C2BTX med 25.7 waist width
YES GREAT BEAUTIES OF HISTORY 163w with 25.5 waist width
YES BIG CITY 162w with 25.7 waist width
Nidecker Pantones 160 with 26.0 waist width
Nidecker Addict 163xl with 26.3 waist width
K2 Turbo Dream 161 with 25.1 waist width
Jones Mountain twin 159 with 25.5 waist width
Jones Mountain twin 160w with 26 waist width
GNU Carbon Credit 162 with 25.8

I am looking forward to hear your suggestions, thanks!
ridetheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

please help!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheg View Post
please help!
I'm not the best advisor here as I have 3 boards from 160 to 169 but I am a big fan of Lib Tech overall as well as K2. I would say, get the Phoenix in wide and call it a day - the board will still be fast even with a wide model. I have a size 12 and on the really icey slopes, I find my foot drags on the backside heel even with my 2 K2 models; this does not occur on my 2011 Skunk Ape though I dont have the dimensions. For speed and traction/stability the 169 Skunk Ape is scary and while I can go fast on my K2 Darkstar 160 and even faster with the flatline K2 Slayblade, I am shocked at what the Skunk Ape absorbs. I bought it for big mountain riding and yet this year has sucked for me in that area but it would be the stick I would take out West. All that said, I heard the Turbo Dream rides well. Not sure if this helps at all but I can tell you that I bought a normal board online - a Forum Roost 161 pow board - and immediately found it too short in width to consider on the ice coast and it is just sitting in my basement. The wides are what works for me and the longer the faster. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Jones Mountain twin 159 with 25.5 waist width
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for your input, to give me an idea, what is your weight/height? After doing more searching and narrowing it down... I am having the following mix now, throw a couple out and put 2 more

Due to my proportions/style, I would like to know then what would make more sense out of those boards- and I am concerned about going under 160 (for stability/ manoeuvrability reasons) even though I did ride before on lower sizes. I must admit, I never rode on a very good board or the ones following:

Libtech Phoenix Jamie 160 C2BTX/ 25.7 waist width
Travis Rice 161.5/ waist width 26
GNU Carbon Credit 162/ waist width 25.8
Libtech TRS 162/ waist width 25.6
YES GREAT BEAUTIES OF HISTORY 163w/ waist width 25.5
Jones Mountain twin 159/ waist width 25.5
Jones Mountain twin 160w/ waist width 26

What do you think?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say none of those.

YES are unreliably good. Not necessarily in quality, though they, and Jones, and Nidecker, all have spotty production quality, but just in the quality of the ride itself. They're camrock is just awkward and I don't like the way its done. T9 and Signal do it better. Speaking of, check out the Signal Omni, sounds to be right up your ally.

Carbon Credit doesn't even fit in with the rest of your options, it Libs budget board.
The Jones boards are notoriously harsh rides. They just don't do well with dampening.
Mervins in general have always felt... clunky to me. Characteristically I have always felt they get they energy from thicker construction instead of optimized materials. They use tons of fancy stuff and all that, but if its not done right and in the right places to influence the core the right way, its just marketing. Which is Mervin. Marketing. Great marketing for usually a mediocre board.

Look at the Arbor Wasteland if you want a gnarly hard charger, Coda if you want something more manageable that won't make you ride hard ALL day long. Flow Drifter for a great good at everything not great at one thing stick. Omni like I mentioned if you're really interested in camrock, also in my experience Signal has had the fastest and most durable bases. Ride Berzerker is a good bet as well. Shoot for 156-160's. Smaller for smaller mtns or more trees/jumping/park, bigger for bigger mtns, more speed, and open terrain.

Also most boards that fit your weight will fit 11's just fine, no need for a wide unless you want the stability for dropping cliffs or hitting jumps.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 02-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks Nivek, I had actually totally discarded the Arbors from the start, and now looking at them, I realize I made a mistake... will check more onto those today as both boards you suggested would fit my style one or the other. Nice.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Narrowing down now to Arbor Coda 165!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

165 is pretty damn big, even for 185...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You are right... Should have edited, I'm taking 161:-) thanks