Best board(s) for ice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best board(s) for ice?

So I live in the midwest and yesterday I was out all day on some really bad icy conditions. There was a fair bit of wind and a lot of the runs were just sheet ice that had been blown dry of any powder. I ride a Bataleon Evil Twin right now and it's a pretty great all-around board but the edge hold on ice is not very good.

Do I need something with magnetraction then? What boards do you recommend for an all-mountain attack when the runs get super icy?
Vaughanabe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not pushing Skate banana but there are several variations of this tech. Snowolf liked the Rossignol form of magnatraction. I love mine and I'm also Midwest and it gets very hard packed and icy and it has helped me a ton, without impeding my park riding.
If you can demo one I would, otherwise a board like this for those kinds of days would be well worth it. We don't all live near nice mountain resorts. Ride what we have !!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughanabe13 View Post
Do I need something with magnetraction then? What boards do you recommend for an all-mountain attack when the runs get super icy?
I haven't ridden Magnetraction, but there are a lot of fans on here.

Good edge hold is a combination of things: profile, edge tech, sharpness, bevel, etc. I'd start with making sure that your edges are really sharp. Going to a less than 90 corner will help as will a base bevel closer to zero.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Zero base will help, as well as sharp edges - but that's not ideal if you ride park on the same board.

I say demo magne if you can. I am also very happy with the edge hold on my NS Heritage split, and also loved the 2011 Raptor.

I only have magne on my snowskate - and it's not too hooky (must say the snowskate magne is still not good enough for me on steep ice, but that's a different story)

Bottom line - I want magne for my next non-bc board...

Cheers
Ivo

Last edited by lernr; 02-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Any mid stiff board with regularly tuned edges will handle ice with no problem. Out here, that's all we have to ride. What really matters when riding ice is your skill level.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix.

This board just holds an edge on any condition. I had a really windy day on my mountain too, blowing off the top layer and exposing the frozen bottom layer, and i was comfortable riding down without any wipeouts or washouts, which never happened on my two previous boards.

Actually, the JLP is my argument for the best all-condition, all-mountain board. Try it, you'll love it.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix.

This board just holds an edge on any condition. I had a really windy day on my mountain too, blowing off the top layer and exposing the frozen bottom layer, and i was comfortable riding down without any wipeouts or washouts, which never happened on my two previous boards.

Actually, the JLP is my argument for the best all-condition, all-mountain board. Try it, you'll love it.
Just got one myself, can't wait to try it out in a week.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Any mid stiff board with regularly tuned edges will handle ice with no problem. Out here, that's all we have to ride. What really matters when riding ice is your skill level.
My skill level is high enough that I can ride down the steepest runs at my mtn without wiping out when there is sheet ice. But that doesn't mean it's any fun. I'm constantly worried about hitting patches and over/undercompensating - wiping out at age 24 isn't as easy as wiping out at 14...
Vaughanabe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smokin, Rossi with mag, mervin, variogrip, arbor griptech, even Rome now has quickrip which to Melilla exactly like arbors.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

I also live in the Midwest (Chicago) and you said it lately the ice has been a pain but I ride a Banana magic. The megatraction is the way to go no issues at all on ice it sticks so well. I always see people going over I've spots towards the bottom of the run and lets just say not coming out very well (wipe outs) and I go over it and stop like I would anywhere else no problem, I gotta say though over ice mega has a very scary sound I always turn heads when engaging the edge on it.

---Megatraction all the way, won't ride anything else----
Lester86 is offline   Reply With Quote