Twin, directional twin for big mountain - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Twin, directional twin for big mountain

I currently ride a 2011/2012 Lib Tech Banana Magic w/ Ride Maestro bindings (-6/+15) and I absolutely love this board sweet float in pow and hold up to ice without a problem. I toke it to Colorado a few weeks back and it performed great in the pow tree runs, and moderate steeps, but did however have little bit of difficultly kicking out my back leg while carving, going from toe side to heel side in really steep runs with powder it felt like it wasn't smooth and kind of unsettling at times, now that I think about it I should have probably set my stance back a lil to help the float and easy turning no? That got me thinking what is the best type of board for steep big mountain riding directional twin maybe ?? I noticed the stance is set back on that setup, only thing I don't like with directional twin is what u lose riding switch (which I sometimes do on the less steeper pow runs to change things up and also relieve the pain from the constant heel or toe hold). Few questions : is there anything wrong with setting the stance back a little on a true twin board ? Is there any disadvantages in centering the stance on a directional board (to accommodate for differnent conditions of course)? I want to buy a split board this year and I want a split board I can do it all with (steeps, pow, jumps, drops and be able to ride switch on pow too) so I have to choose true twin or directional twin?? Any suggestions from experience is great appreciated.
Lester86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

It really depends on the board. A directional flex with a stiffer tail generally performs slightly better in powder, especially if you are doing lots of jumps or tricks that require landing.

It might be difficult to feel the difference unless you are a very experienced rider.

What you'll see more of these days is a twin flex with a directional setback since it is more friendly for intermediate riders.

You can set back the twin 1-2 inches depending on length and model without impacting performance in powder but they are designed to be ridden with a centered stance.
yojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For a true twin that'll perform how you want, I'd prob look at the: LibTech Jamie Lynn/Lando, Arbor Coda RX, Bataleon Evil Twin.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote