First Board Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board Advice

Hello everyone, I am new to the board and new to snowboarding. I know a lot of threads start off this way, but this is what this forum is for right? Any help would be much appreciated. I recently finished my first week of snowboarding and am going back in 4 weeks and would like to have a setup so that I don’t have to rent again. I will probably be going back 1 or 2 times a year after that. I’m 5’11”, 195#, and wear a size 11 American shoe. I haven’t done any park riding and will mostly be doing freeriding, but would like an All-Mountain board in case I attempt some park riding. I was riding the blues fairly easily when I left, connecting turns, and even made it down a black, so I’m still a beginner but am looking to advance to intermediate. I have read through a bunch of these threads and done several hours of research so far and this is what I’ve come up with. EDIT to reflect update(down to 4 boards):
K2 Raygun 2012 161cm
GNU Carbon Credit BTX Snowboard 2012 159cm
Rome Crail Wide Snowboard 2012 161cm
Rossignol Taipan Snowboard 2012 160cm
Suggestions?
Thanks
Aaron
::UPDATE:: I went with the Gnu Carbon Credit 159 thanks for the input

Last edited by buffbraz; 02-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.
buffbraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbraz View Post
Also, is it best/easiest to get bindings that match the company of your board? I was planning on getting Flow bindings/boots because of the reviews/research I did. I know you are not supposed to buy boots online, but do Flow boots have a good rep as being comfortable true to size? I don't think I'll have time to buy any once I get to Tahoe later this month and was hoping to buy some online.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated, and I will be frequenting this board a lot from now on.
I can't really comment on the boards since I haven't ridden them, but I will say that rocker usually doesn't have very good grip, even if it is catch-free. Flow boots are okay I guess and if you order it and it doesn't fit perfectly you can try to get it heat-molded to make it feel more comfortable; obviously trying them on in person is better though. Bindings can be from a different company, if you want flow bindings though...I would buy them next year. they're new bindings for next year are NASTY (). At your level though, everything will seem like a big upgrade from rental, so it doesn't matter too much what you are buying that this point because as you become a better rider you'll want a board more specialized for you anyways.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

The majority of those boards are pretty soft. If your planning on doing mostly all mountain and sometimes park, i would go a little more in the mid range like around 5 out of 10, to decide if your going to want a stiffer or soft board in the future.
I have heard a lot of good things about the GNU Carbon Credit for the transition from beginner to intermediate. Also seems like its in your price range. But the link below should be pretty helpful for what you want.

The company of your board to bindings really doesn't matter that much.

And I know you said you want to order boots online but i highly suggest you do not do that. Everyone's foot is different and boot "comfort" is very important, to me its the most important. If you can, try them out before you buy them.
Snowboard Reviews By Name A-Z this site could help you out.

Last edited by LiVeRideFcK; 02-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.
LiVeRideFcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought rockers were better for freeriding?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you want a freeride board or all mountain?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

All mountain.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I thought rockers were better for freeriding?
Rockers are generally considered better for beginners as they have lifted contact points, this helps newbs learn with a few less falls and a bit more confidence. Now there are so many different shapes of rockered boards that do different things, so I suggest doing some searching on this site of different camber types so you know the difference, there is a thread that would be very helpful to you If you search.

I think the gnu carbon credit is a great board you can learn on and progress past intermediate on. Do some more searching as to what shape does what and then narrow down that according to what boards you like, I suggest starting at C2BTX. You will understand what it all means soon
Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess I'm getting hung up on all the details, length and waist width being perfect for my size. I was looking hard at the Flow Infinite 2011 either 159 162 but I'm up for suggestions from people who know what they're talking about.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I guess I'm getting hung up on all the details, length and waist width being perfect for my size. I was looking hard at the Flow Infinite 2011 either 159 162 but I'm up for suggestions from people who know what they're talking about.
Almost any board can do anything if you really wanted it to, but of course you want the right type of board for what you want to do, so check out this link and have a think about what you need some more.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rocker is completely fine for all mountain i prefer them over camber. But everyone is different its all up to you.