Binding Ratchet Putting Nicks in Topsheet - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
gu1llerm0

Default Binding Ratchet Putting Nicks in Topsheet

I didn't notice this until the nicks appeared in the same place on both of my boards. I am pretty sure the binding ratchet (Burton P1) from the ankle strap is banging against the topsheet when I skate. This is putting nicks that in some cases peels off a little chunk of the topsheet. So, a couple questions:

1. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you avoid? Skating with highback down would help keep the strap away but the stupid P1 highback is so high that I hit it with my foot when I skate.

2. Should I and can I get this repaired so it doesn't get any worse?

I'm upset that I caught this after one day on a brand new board!

Sorry for bad pics.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board1.jpg (161.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg board2.jpg (178.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by gu1llerm0; 03-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...

So that's where those little marks came from.

Not sure what you could do other than maybe put the hi back down and skate with your foot on the heelside of the board or just close the strap after you take your foot out. A little inconvenient but it'll solve your problem
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got 2 answers for ya, you might like one better than the other

A. Take the extra 2 seconds, and fold your high back over your ankle strap when you skate. I always do it because I don't like my ankle strap flopping around and getting in the way. It only takes a second, literally.

B. Since it's a brand new board, you're noticing every little scratch and nick; everyone does. Pretty soon you'll have so many scratches, nicks, and chips that you just won't care. I wouldn't bother to fix those, their so minor. If you get any chips that continue to peel, or anything quite a bit bigger, just put a dab of epoxy over the top.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

i have similar nicks but on the tail side of my back binding....so it can't be from the ratchet since it's on the ladder side. i can't figure out what's caused them, and there's tons of nicks, all seem to be gashed in the same direction. anyone else have this problem as well?
indoblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO

ive broken straps from stepping on them when they are floppy just buckle em

and if youre that worried, put a sticker over the area. BAM problem fixed...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Agreed with Gildo, and those are the first of many many scratches to come. You'll need to learn to get used to em. You don't need to repair those as they are nothing more than minor nicks and will never damage your board. And yes to avoid them if you so desire just strap your rear binding all together to avoid scratches and to avoid stepping on a strap backwards and snapping it off, although that really only happens with cheap bindings from what I have seen.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
pyro13g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Agreed with Gildo, and those are the first of many many scratches to come. You'll need to learn to get used to em. You don't need to repair those as they are nothing more than minor nicks and will never damage your board. And yes to avoid them if you so desire just strap your rear binding all together to avoid scratches and to avoid stepping on a strap backwards and snapping it off, although that really only happens with cheap bindings from what I have seen.

As a true noob with his own gear I can attest to getting bent after a few scratches after a couple times riding. After nine times on my board I've accepted they take a beating. Beat up board = you're having fun
Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

i concur with above.... its a board you are going to ride and beat up... who cares about the marks on it its not affecting your riding so who cares..

ps..i hate the kids who drag their boards on the concrete because mom an dad baught it for them should be shot.
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

guillermo, where you from mang? there's a guy by the name guillermo on TPC, so I ask :P

I got those on my MFM too!..lol, i didnt realise where they were coming from until mow, so the best way I can think of is folding the high back down, and putting the ankle strap over top of it... it won't be able to reach the board and thus no more scratches (or dings)

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

hahaha... responses to this exact thread in the other forum is so different than the ones here. As others have said.. that's nothing to worry about.
bufo is offline   Reply With Quote