Park Board Advice Please! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Park Board Advice Please!

Hey guys,

I'm 6'1'' 170 lbs with size 11 boots and consider myself a pretty good all mountain rider with decent abilities in the park but looking to progress more. I'm from Minnesota but I normally don't snowboard here more than once or twice a year because of hockey. I'm a senior in college and looking to possibly move to the mountains next year to take a year off and be a bum/ ride a ton. The past few years i've made the trek out west over spring break to hit the mountains and I'm doing it again next week! I currently have a 2009 Artec Gabe Taylor 163 wide and just bought 2012 Burton Cartel bindings because my old ones broke. I love the board and it rides very well all over the mountain. It's a traditional camber board but I'm interested in a true twin that is more park focused to help me progress. There are some great deals on now so I thought this might be a great time to buy a high end board at a mid range price. I'm looking heavily at the 2012 GNU Park Pickle 159 wide. I have never ridden a reverse camber board or a banana/ pickle magnatraction and don't really have the option to test it out before buying. I guess my questions for you guys are 1. Is the park pickle a good option and this size a pick for someone like me? and 2. Are the burton cartels a versatile enough binding that I could use them on both the gabe taylor and the new park focused board? and 3. Do you have any other board suggestions that are on sale now in a size that fits (would need to be a wide board bc of my size 11 boots)

Thanks a lot and sorry for the novel!
Minny2Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Depending on the board and boot, you may not need a wide board. For primarily park riding, 159 is the absolute biggest I'd go for your weight. 155-157 would probably be a better fit to be honest.

Nothing wrong with the Park Pickle. Darn good board. When you say park, are you talking more jumps or more jibs? I'm not much of a park rider, so others will be along soon with better suggestions, but telling them whether you're looking for jumps, jibs, or both will help with their suggestions.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good point and I know it's on the tall end for a park board. I guess what I'm looking for is something that I can hit kickers with and get better at spins, rails, and boxes while still being stable going fast on groomers and bigger jumps. I liked the 159 for more the all mountain side and stability I guess. I would prefer a wide board and I checked the specs and the Park Pickle's 159 and 156 wide is the same width as my gabe taylor (26.5) plus my bindings are a large. I've considered trying the 156 wide but not sure if it will seem super crazy short coming from a 163.

Thanks for the help!
Minny2Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Never Summer SL

Never Summer SL or Evo. Excellent pop and has the rocker camber technology. They make the best boards around and are made in the USA! I am 5'9" and weight 190 and ride a 158 came from a 163. 158 would probably be good board size you in the park. And don't by a Wide board unless your boot is a 13 or larger, its useless and you lose a a lot of movement. If you are using a wide with only a size 11 boot chances are you are riding the wrong board. http://neversummer.com/snow [/URL] check em out

Last edited by Sg29651; 02-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Sg29651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Check out the K2 Parkstar, I'm 6' and 185 pounds and riding a 155 with 2012 Cartels. It's a fun board in the park and it's also great all over the mountain. I also have size 11 boots, there's no reason to have a wide board with most 11 boots.

Dropping down from a 163 to something in the 155-157 range is going to feel short but that's why you're doing it. The shorter board will be much more fun in the park. My boards range from 155 to 166 and I don't have any trouble moving between them.

Last edited by Rufus; 02-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote