Looking to Purchase Snowboard Gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to Purchase Snowboard Gear

I have tried snowboarding in the past and I hated it. Went to Collingwood with a couple friends, rented gear, and hit the hill. I never took a lesson and that was my downfall. I had no clue what the hell I was doing.

I have skied numerous time and last week went to Collingwood with some friends and did some skiing. Some of the group did snow blades and others snowboarded.

After skiing again and seeing some many snowboarders I want to learn how to snowboard again and I want to do it properly.

I live in London, Ontario and we have a small hill here that will be great to learn on. I plan on taking some lessons this year weather depending, if not, I will start early next season. Rentals are over $30 each time I go out so my own gear will pay for itself in a month or so.

Are their brands to look for or avoid?

I think I would like to buy some used stuff. It should allow me to get better quality stuff for less $$$. And if it is a local person the season is pretty short here so the gear will likely have less wear and tear.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled on kijiji to see what's out there the last few days.

Should I be looking for used or should I go for new stuff?
Easto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

you should rent a few times and make sure that you like it. then if you do like it, you could buy stuff in the off season when things go on big sales.
Gustov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustov View Post
you should rent a few times and make sure that you like it. then if you do like it, you could buy stuff in the off season when things go on big sales.

agreed, especially since you admitted to hatnig it your first time out.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
agreed, especially since you admitted to hatnig it your first time out.
I didn't like it because I was used to skiing where I slapped on skis and I was read to go.

When I first took a snowboard out years ago I didn't take a lesson or anything, I just went out with some friends and it was a nightmare. No lesson and none of us knew what we were doing.

The reason I hated it was because I approached it the wrong way.

This time around I plan on taking some lessons and easing my way into it. From what I know there is a period when you first start that isn't fun due to the numerous times you fall.

I am committed to learning the proper way.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easto View Post
I didn't like it because I was used to skiing where I slapped on skis and I was read to go.

When I first took a snowboard out years ago I didn't take a lesson or anything, I just went out with some friends and it was a nightmare. No lesson and none of us knew what we were doing.

The reason I hated it was because I approached it the wrong way.

This time around I plan on taking some lessons and easing my way into it. From what I know there is a period when you first start that isn't fun due to the numerous times you fall.

I am committed to learning the proper way.
you are right, it is common to have a no-fun period when you first start. and taking a lesson is a very good idea. i still think i recommend renting a few times. in my experience, you're going to want a new setup after like a year anyway, especially if you make a decent amount of progress. going a few times on rentals will help give you an idea of what kind of riding you want to do (unless you think you already know, since you ski) and that will help you decide on what to buy.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

I plan on hitting the slops a bunch next season and if I can find a nice used set up it will pay for itself compared to rentals. Around here rentals are $40/day. I have seen some boards + bindings that I have been told are a good set up for under $300 on kijiji. The problem is that I don't know exactly what to look for and after I do some research the boards are sold.

If I buy a board for $250 and use it 7 times it will pay for itself versus renting.

When I am done with it and want a new one I can always resell it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

if you find one you're interested in, post it here and people will give their opinions on if it's worth it. in the mean time, i'd just start researching brands and types of boards and bindings. i would recommend not just buying whatever boots. try some boots on and find comfortable ones.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Of course you're coming up on the end-of-season sales too. It's a lot safer to buy from a shop instead of privately. Yeah, I know, salescritters are dicks sometimes and will try to sell you what they have, but at least you don't run the risk of buying something with a cracked or rotted core, or partial delam, or something that's just the wrong size. Salescritters will at least try to put you in the right size and type of board for your anticipated use. My first year I bought from Sport Mart in Feb after boarding twice. Got all my equip for under $300. Sure, it was bottom-of-the-line stuff but it was good enough for me for the rest of that first season, and part of the next. By that time I had a clue and could buy stuff more to my liking.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was at dicks a couple of months ago and they had some burton boards for really cheap. Dont remember the models, but im talking like $399 marked down to <$200. I bought a 2011 Ride Agenda for $185 earlier in the season. Very good beginner board. You can always buy last years bindings of some type and that should be $100-150 for a decent pair. Dont forget about boots too. Thats one place to splurge.

Post your weight so you can get an idea of what size youll need to get and then you can start looking from there.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

First of all, go get some boots (preferably new) that fits. It should be comfortable with no heel lift. Keep in mind that it will pack out, so it should be snug when you buy them. If you go non-traditional-lace (speed lace, BOA, etc) try to get 2-zones. Good fitting boots will get you a much better experience.

Then, you can look for a board.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote