All-mountain/Powder Board Recommendations - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default All-mountain/Powder Board Recommendations

Took a chunk out of my board on the rock face of a cliff drop in Golden, probably will patch it up for the interim, but it’s into the core so I’m researching a new board for next season.

Old board is a Salomon Prospect 160cm (Fernando Olivera edition – 2006). Only has about 10-15 days on it as I don’t get out much with university. I have Ride SPL bindings and K2 T1 boots (Men’s size 10.5), boots have one day, bindings have 6 or 7 tops so I do not want to replace either of these (i.e. no Burton boards). I weigh 155lbs and am 5’11”. Am 21 and have been riding over 10 years.

Setup: I will measure it this evening and edit this post.

I mainly ride powder and chutes, but also enjoy tight trees and glades if there isn’t any fresh stuff. I often hike, so a lighter board wouldn’t be a bad thing. When there is no powder I’ll go on groomed runs where I go for speed and deep carving. Essentially no time spent in the park, but I hit lots of natural drops/kickers/rollers. Been having issues losing my heelside edge on icier runs even with sharp edges, though this could be due to my setup.

Most of the trips I take are to the mountains in SE British Columbia and SW Alberta. Golden, Revelstoke, Lake Louise, Sunshine etc. Sometimes Marmot Basin in Jasper. Conditions range from deep, dry powder, choppy crusty shit, groomed runs and sometimes icy unfortunately.

Considering the following boards:
  • Nidecker: Megalight
  • Yes: Pick Your Line
  • Gnu: Billy Goat
  • Never Summer: Heritage
  • Bataleon: Undisputed
  • Head: Intelligence AK
  • Ride: Highlife UL
  • Jones: Flagship
  • Lib Tech: Jamie Lynn Phoenix
  • Salomon: Man Board
  • Arbor: A-frame

Heard lots of good things about all of them, but looking for personal experiences from those who ride somewhat similar to me. Don’t really care about what design is on it. Will try to demo one or two of these as well, but that may not happen. Have never ridden a rocker board or a hybrid, so I will try to demo one as well. I am open to a rocker board, but am fine with camber as well. This would be my only board so it needs to do everything well and I understand that comes at a price.

Thank-you for any recommendations, though I ask that you please provide some feedback on why you recommend a particular board, not simply posting a name.

Cheers
-Evan

Last edited by neverLift; 02-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Add the Rossignol Experience, Gnu Billy Goat (or Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix) to your list.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

totally partial to the A-Frame. Loving it.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...bor-frame.html
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
Add the Rossignol Experience, Gnu Billy Goat (or Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix) to your list.
Any personal experience? Any particular reason why, other than what the manufacturer states/their specifications, that you recommend those boards? I have no problem expanding the list, as I only compiled it from internet reviews/browsing manufacturer sites, but I am hoping for more detailed riding feedback from those on this forum who own these boards.

I don't mean that as offensive or challenging, just asking for more than just an unsupported statement.

As for the A-Frame, nice review, looks like a solid option. That is exactly what I am looking for in terms of opinions/feedback, I appreciate it.

cheers
-Evan
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I like it even more in my second season. What felt stable is now rock solid and with a little set back on deep days it floats me like a surfboard. Put it on groomers with high binding angles and it carves like a razor. Last time I saw a guy riding it with hard boots...like an alpine board.

It's not the most agile in the woods, it feels a bit bigger than its size, but other than that is my perfect board.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Add the YES Pick your line or Big City to your list. I'm a huge fan of these boards and they seem to be a bit underrated.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I turned an Omni from a few seasons ago into a splitboard. It was an ok deck to begin with but I wasn't very impressed overall.

When I got the Undisputed, I fell in love.

Look at that deck instead of the Omni...Much better for what you want.
yojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
I like it even more in my second season. What felt stable is now rock solid and with a little set back on deep days it floats me like a surfboard. Put it on groomers with high binding angles and it carves like a razor. Last time I saw a guy riding it with hard boots...like an alpine board.

It's not the most agile in the woods, it feels a bit bigger than its size, but other than that is my perfect board.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Add the YES Pick your line or Big City to your list. I'm a huge fan of these boards and they seem to be a bit underrated.
Why? What do you like about them? What could they do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojik View Post
I turned an Omni from a few seasons ago into a splitboard. It was an ok deck to begin with but I wasn't very impressed overall.

When I got the Undisputed, I fell in love.

Look at that deck instead of the Omni...Much better for what you want.
Thanks for the input, from reviews on thegoodride etc it does seem like a better fit. Same question as above though, what do you like/not like about the Undisputed?

cheers
-Evan
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I have both the Jamie Lynn and the Big City and would recommend either. I think the BC is a little more versatile but they both have great edge hold on the crap and seem nimble enough in the woods.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rossignol never gets their due for how they've improved in the past few years and the Experience is one of the best big mountain boards out there. Great for hard charging, yet surfs like crazy in powder. Jeremy Jones basically went and built his own board company around this design (haven't ridden it yet, but the latest Flagship is suppose to be even stiffer).

You can read more about the Gnu Billy Goat on Snowolf's thread.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote