Have I outgrown my board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Have I outgrown my board?

I have 10 days under my belt using rented boards and 21 days using my 2008 Ride Decade (156). Ok so 31 days is really not THAT many days but I have found my progression much faster than many other friends.

I'm consistently going over 40 mph recorded using gps gracking apps. Probably much faster because gps my tracking is not frequent enough to account for all turns and ignores altitude. Most of my friends complain about mogules, ice, flats and crowds but i'm really not phased by it nor do I have to slow down into a "comfort zone".

If I were to get a new board I would go longer(161-164) and stiffer. I would also get one similar to the Ride Highlife UL where there is a front rocker and camber elsewhere and eventually switch to a forward stance.

So should I stretch the potential of my Ride Decade or is it now starting to hold me back?
bntran02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am not familiar with that board or the ride highlife, however some more information will probably help those that are more knowledgeable about these particular boards.

Information such as height, weight, boot size, riding preference (park, freeride, all mountain, etc.), and where you ride (mostly ice, mostly hard pack, groomers, pow, etc.)

With this information I'm sure someone will chime in with some input about your boards and/or possibly some other recommendations.
jpchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchase View Post
I am not familiar with that board or the ride highlife, however some more information will probably help those that are more knowledgeable about these particular boards.

Information such as height, weight, boot size, riding preference (park, freeride, all mountain, etc.), and where you ride (mostly ice, mostly hard pack, groomers, pow, etc.)

With this information I'm sure someone will chime in with some input about your boards and/or possibly some other recommendations.
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 166lb.
Boot size: 10.5

I Ride All Mountain in colorado, utah and Lake Tahoe. I do not have the luxury of booking a trip right after a storm so I take whatever snow condition is available. I'm more interested in speed and stability. Other than natural jumps I have no interest in the park. I do not ride through trees or double blacks. I love groomers and pow but wont shy away from hard pack or ice. Snowboarding is snowboarding and I'll enjoy it all.

I appreciate board recommendations but I'm more interested in whether or not my current board is holding me back than exactly what board I should buy. If I havent reached my board's potential then i'd rather not spend hundreds on a high end board
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the notion of your board "holding you back" is a misnomer. Give it to a pro, and he'll do things with it that will shock you. I think you need to think more about if your board is appropriate for the type of riding style that you are trying to engage in, rather than whether or not youve extracted every bit of performance out of your board.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I rode a '95 Kemper Freestyle until about 3 years ago. In some ways I think riding that old beast helped me improve. Funny enough I did a little living room stiffness test, putting the board on 2x2's spaced about 3' apart, then me standing in the middle and measuring the distance to the floor. The Kemper was acutally fairly stiff. Almost as stiff as my Burton T7... So old doesn't always mean bad.

Also for a 166 lb guy, you're right in the 155-160 or so range (+- a couple cm)... I wouldn't go too much larger.

I'm 173 lb or so, and ride a 159 and I'm a bomber. I considered a 163 cm Kessler Ride, but was worried it was going to feel a little long in the trees.

I say keep riding your current board until you truly feel like you've mastered everything it can do.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default k2 zero

i am a die hard k2 fan and the zero is a great all mountain board, it can handle anything you throw at it, amazing amazing amazing, k2 is the way to go lol
kokosldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can't believe nobody takes a critical view:

One, we are to believe 'much faster than 40 mph' - what, say 50-60? - in the first oh I don't know how many days, when did you clock these, like your second week maybe?

Second, and let's take just 40 mph, do you think you are in control and not a danger to yourself and others on the hill?? Not 'phased' by crowds, I can only imagine

Slow down. For your and others' sake, I hope you are exaggerating but still

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default ^like

yea dude, snowboarding is meant to be chill and fun, ppl cant relax when they have to worry about some crazy guy going way to fast.

so yes slow down and enjoy yaself
kokosldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lernr View Post
Can't believe nobody takes a critical view:

One, we are to believe 'much faster than 40 mph' - what, say 50-60? - in the first oh I don't know how many days, when did you clock these, like your second week maybe?

Second, and let's take just 40 mph, do you think you are in control and not a danger to yourself and others on the hill?? Not 'phased' by crowds, I can only imagine

Slow down. For your and others' sake, I hope you are exaggerating but still

Cheers
Ivo
Thanks for the feedback to everyone but i'd like to clear a few things up. This speed was achieved during my last trip to Utah so 30 days on the mountain and yes I felt completely in control.

When i said 40mph i mean that for a single stretch of say 10 seconds my average speed was 40. This calculation all depends on how often a gps location was detected. My true top speed may have been 45mpg for 1 second, not the 50-60mpg as suggested.

I enjoy going fast but only if the terrain, crowds and signs permit. I now realize that I worded it in a way that would make someone think otherwise. "Not Phased" just means that it doesn't bother me. Some of my friends with similar days of experience have to come to a dead stop and wait for crowds to pass while I just blend in and emerge out the other end.

Back to my initial question. I purchased my current board because it fit the all mountain category for a cheap price. Because of this I felt that maybe I missed out on some nice hybrid boards and other tech that could give me a better ride. However, if it is true that I still have a lot of room to grow with my Ride Decade than i'll give it another season. I just always try to re-evaluate my gear during the feb/march window because that's what gear go on sale with availability
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry for the soapbox.

If you plan on going fast, at your height and weight you may get something longer than your current board - like 161, but I believe 164 may be a tad too long for comfort in some conditions.

On the other hand, some people like you ride 170 - 190 planks, the point is where and what lines do you want to hit.

If I were you then - yes, I'd get something longer, and with whatever new tech excites you. Try to demo first and do some good research

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote