Stiff Board needs Stiff Bindings/Boots? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Stiff Board needs Stiff Bindings/Boots?

I just started boarding in January, and has recently picked up the Dynamic S Turn (or at least my instructor called it that).

I also found a great deal on a Burton Custom X, even though it is labeled as intermediate-advanced board I decided to get it.

It has a Flex Rating of 7 on the Burton Website, which I assumed means it is flexible. But after receiving the board I realized that Flex rating might mean how much force it produces when bent (e.g. how stiff it is).

I bought the Mission EST Binding along with the board, which according to the Burton site is right in the middle in stiffness.

It is probably due to my lack of skill, but I crash a lot when I took the board out on the intermediate slopes. I find that I have a great deal of problem turning at slower speeds. Once I pick up speed the setup feels great but I run into the problem of being afraid and start leaning back and thus losing balance.

Are there correlation between how stiff the binding has to be and how stiff a board is for optimal control? or is it a personal preference and/or skill level?
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Honestly, it sounds like you got to much board for your current skill level.

I would advise against trying to get stiffer bindings to manhandle the board. Better sell it and get another board.

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can put super stiff bindings on a total noodle board. With soft bindings its for more of a relaxed fun feel while riding. Stiff bindings are more responsive and drive more energy from your legs into the board.

You might have gotten a board that is a bit much for you to handle.
The flex meter on snowboards for the most part is that low numbers are very soft flexible boards and high numbers are very stiff aggressive boards. Most beginners are going to want a mid flexing to soft flexing board that will be more forgiving in turns. Stiff camber boards like the Burton Custom X are for hard charging and aggressive carving. (or even pipe riding)

CheoSamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah I definitely bought a board that is beyond my skill. It just feel like its dragging me all across the slopes.

I asked the question because I wanted to know if the main problem is the overall design/stiffness of the board (vs my current skill) and not exacerbated because the binding is softer than the board. E.g. that you do not necessarily need a stiff binding to properly control a stiff board.

Thanks for the prompt help you guys. If only I found you guys a week ago Better late than never though!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't go selling the board yet. You are likely just having a hard time making the transition from a crappy rental board that feels like a noodle to a board that is stiffer, hasn't been beat to death by people learning, and takes a little more skill to manuever.

Once you adjust, you will likely be back to where you were with the other board(s) you were learning on. Having a board like that may make learning a little more challenging at first, but that's not necissarily a bad thing. It will require better technique which will likely pay off in the long run.

I learned on a crappy board and then rode it for the next several years before finally upgrading to a legit board. Even though I was a very experienced rider, my first run on the new stiffer board felt like I was learning all over again. It only took 1.5 runs to adjust because I was an experienced rider but it was still a shock.

I have no idea if the Custome X will be the right board for you, but just because it poses a challenge right now doesn't mean you should sell it (especially if you'll be taking a big loss). If you think it's the wrong board and can sell it without taking a bath, you could probably find a better board to learn on, but it's not a must sell IMO.

As for bindings, the Missions will be fine for you. To get the most out of the board you'd probably want stiffer bindings, but I don't think it's the reason you are falling and Missions are totally doable on a Custom.

Last edited by schmitty34; 02-27-2012 at 06:52 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
As for bindings, the Missions will be fine for you. To get the most out of the board you'd probably want stiffer bindings, but I don't think it's the reason you are falling and Missions are totally doable on a Custom.
I haven't given up yet Now that I know the problem is my skill and not my setup.

Thanks for the advice. It is very appreciated.

[Edit]

One thing I like to add though.

Even to this newbie, the Board feels AWESOME. I only used it for 8 hours or so but it is incredibly fast and utterly unforgiving. I am sure if I had the skill to properly use it it would be intoxicating. I only got a taste of it for about 40 seconds when the stars aligned and it was FUN

So I hope anyone reading this would not take it as a negative review of the board.

Last edited by JamesX; 02-27-2012 at 07:03 PM.