Help needed, noob board set-up. Questions... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help needed, noob board set-up. Questions...

Hey guys,
Got quite a lot of questions so i'll try keep it short...

So I have decided to bite the bullet and get my own set-up. This looks more complicated than I expected. It seems I 'should' get a beginner board however i'm considering an intermediate/advanced. Feel slightly handicapped by a beginner board I think. I vaguely understand the camber/rocker etc principles, but seems like a beginner board could be quickly grown out of.

About me:
Height: 5' 9''
Weight: 187lbs (Not fat, have to keep weight up in gym for sport, usually from 180-192lbs)
Foot Size: 10 US
Ability:
Just swapped over from skiing. Boarded a total of about 1 + 1/2 days but have long experience of advanced wakeboarding and skateboarding. Able to link all my turns + small jumps but i'd guess that i'm pretty much a complete beginner
I'll be mostly on groomed runs with a bit of park (not rails) so guessing i'd be best going all-mountain?

Anyway, i can get pretty sick discounts at Burton. Guessing there are some negative views on Burton, i'm open to other brands but would be MUCH cheaper to go with them.

Boards:
Burton clash - logical choice but I'm worried I'd outgrow it very quickly.

Custom flying V - some reviews suggest it is hard to catch an edge, which could be disastrous for learning?

Custom

Boots:
Moto Burtons

Bindings:
Depends on board
Mate recommends the Burton Cartel (restricted) or Missions

My understanding is that intermediate/advanced boards may have less flex and may be extremeley difficult for me to use. I realise that I am a complete noob and much of what I have said may be BS, feel free to destroy everything I have suggested.

I also need some help on board length with my slightly high weight for my height.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Decade190; 02-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Decade190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am a newbie like you, so here is a guide that helped me a lot
How to Choose a Snowboard: Size Chart and Snowboard Buying Guide | evo
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks thats useful! Still quite confusing with my height/weight though. I see you are having problems with your custom x... is it noticeable easier to catch/fall than your rentals? Choosing a setup is a minefield!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the burton clash and i like it
BarryYung42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is definitely easier to catch edge with the Custom X. It might be in part to the Custom X being directional and just goes faster.

But the main cause is not the board but my horrible form. Especially when it comes to Heel to Toe Edge turn. Instead of leaning back, bend my knees forward - thus pushing my toe edge down and lifting my heel edge, I just bend my knee and lean forward - keeping the heel edge down and pushing on my toe edge. The rental boards are far more forgiving about this.

As far as board length, from what I read (keep in mind it is from a newbie) your weight is far more important than your height in determining the length of the board. At 5'9" and 187 you might want to check out a 160, can try a rental of that size to see how you like it.

Here is another tool - though it is only for Burton
http://www.burton.com/on/demandware....oardFinderShow

Last edited by JamesX; 02-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryYung42 View Post
I have the burton clash and i like it
Awesome. What skill level are you at?
WHat bindings/boots?
cheers
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
It is definitely easier to catch edge with the Custom X. It might be in part to the Custom X being directional and just goes faster.

But the main cause is not the board but my horrible form. Especially when it comes to Heel to Toe Edge turn. Instead of leaning back, bend my knees forward - thus pushing my toe edge down and lifting my heel edge, I just bend my knee and lean forward - keeping the heel edge down and pushing on my toe edge. The rental boards are far more forgiving about this.

As far as board length, from what I read (keep in mind it is from a newbie) your weight is far more important than your height in determining the length of the board. At 5'9" and 187 you might want to check out a 162 or 165, can try a rental of that size to see how you like it.

Were your turns pretty seamless before?
Not sure I get what you mean about the turning and leaning back...

Yeah i thought weight wa more important really, but 165 sounds so long/ungainly :S
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
Were your turns pretty seamless before?
Not sure I get what you mean about the turning and leaning back...

Yeah i thought weight wa more important really, but 165 sounds so long/ungainly :S
(. .') My turns are acceptable. Not seamless as the instructors, but they are more like squished Cs, since my bad forms prevents me from shifting from Heel to Toe smoothly. But I hardly catch edge on the rental. With the Custom X I catch edge almost every other time as I try to figure out what I am doing wrong.

the main problem with my form is the board edge. Instead of having the board positioned (Heel->Toe) like \ it is still like / , just tilted more to the right so the toe edge catches.

yeah 165 is too long. I checked few more sites and the most common number is 158-160, so I went back and edited my original post. I use a 156, 5'9" 160lb.

The burton tool seems to suggest you use 157-158ish.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
(. .') My turns are acceptable. Not seamless as the instructors, but they are more like squished Cs, since my bad forms prevents me from shifting from Heel to Toe smoothly. But I hardly catch edge on the rental. With the Custom X I catch edge almost every other time as I try to figure out what I am doing wrong.

the main problem with my form is the board edge. Instead of having the board positioned (Heel->Toe) like \ it is still like / , just tilted more to the right so the toe edge catches.

yeah 165 is too long. I checked few more sites and the most common number is 158-160, so I went back and edited my original post. I use a 156, 5'9" 160lb.

The burton tool seems to suggest you use 157-158ish.
Sounds tricky. I only get the chance to board/ski once or twice a year so have to adapt to the board pretty quick ha. Thinking the burton custom might be better (flex 5/10) the crash is 2/10 but might just be a little too tame ha. Thanks, yeah think I'll look at a 158 then! I'm thinkin burton motos with similar bindings to yours
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
Sounds tricky. I only get the chance to board/ski once or twice a year so have to adapt to the board pretty quick ha. Thinking the burton custom might be better (flex 5/10) the crash is 2/10 but might just be a little too tame ha. Thanks, yeah think I'll look at a 158 then! I'm thinkin burton motos with similar bindings to yours
I originally was waiting for the custom to drop in price. All the research I have done suggest that Custom is the better board for me than Custom X.

Unfortunately I managed to snatch a Custom X at $400 instead of $640 - making it cheaper than the Custom. So I bought it.

If the custom is similar to Custom X in performance but softer (Flex 5 vs 7), then I think you would love it.

The Mission Binding I find to be too flimsy. I really should have paid the $40 extra and get the Cartel Restricted EST. But I would imagine it would work great for the Custom.

[Edit]
Once you decide your board and bindings, you might want to take a look at the stance guide
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...html#post82272

I started with 15/0 on the Custom X and after I got home I changed it to 15/-12 to test out for next time.

Last edited by JamesX; 02-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.