New Board Recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up New Board Recommendation

Hello everyone...my name is Alvaro and I am from Costa Rica. I am more of a surfer, as that is what is readily available in my country, but I have also done snowboarding (about 2-3 weeks per year in Colorado or Lake Tahoe) since I was 15 years old. I currently live in Germany, so I'm very pleased to be so close to the Alps and I have been doing a lot of snowboarding for the past 2 and a half years. I typically have rented my gear at whichever Resort I happen to go, but after this past weekend's snowboarding trip to the "Bovec-Kanin" Resort in Slovenia and the Sella Nevea Resort in Italy, I decided that it's time for me to buy my own setup. The reason is that obviously I will be snowboarding more now since I live a stone's throw away from the alps, but also because I felt that having poor gear was setting back my progress and exposing me to accidents. In several occasions this past weekend I had to really apply myself to avoid falling because the board would chatter too much at high speeds, would not respond well in variable snow conditions and it could not hold an edge very well when carving.

Therefore, I have been researching a lot about snowboards, bindings and boots for the past few days and I need your advice on choosing the right board. I am 6'1, 195 pounds, boot size is 10.5, my skill level is an advanced/intermediate and I am an aggressive rider in love with speed and carving. The board I am looking for is an all-mountain board, as I only want one for my trips all around Europe and I don't frequent the park or back country too often. I don't have any problems with my budget, but I don't want to spend over 500-600€ on the whole setup as I'm still not that good.

As far as brands and models, I have been looking at Burton (Custom Flying V, Bullet, Barracuda, Custom X and Clash), K2 (Raygun, The Zero and Turbo Dream), Ride (Machete), GNU (Rider's Choice) Lib Tech (Skate Banana and Banana Magic) and Salomon (Man's Board). These are all in different categories and prices, but these are the ones that have caught my eye in terms of flex, responsiveness, price, quality and graphics. Nonetheless, I'm open for more suggestions about other brands and models.

Thanks!

Last edited by Surf+Snow; 03-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Surf+Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Machete GT, Custom X, Rider's Choice, Banana Magic or Man's Board. I think all of these would be solid if you're looking for high speed performance and are not really interested in riding in the park.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Machete GT, Custom X, Rider's Choice, Banana Magic or Man's Board. I think all of these would be solid if you're looking for high speed performance and are not really interested in riding in the park.
Thanks for your input David! I can see that my research has paid off and I'm on the right track. My absolute favorite is the Burton Custom X, but its price is a bit high for me considering I have to buy bindings, boots and a bag as well. Any advice as to when would be a good time for it to go on sale?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure about Germany a lot of sites I went to that sell Burton stuff specifically says they cannot ship Burtons outside of the U.S. Not sure if its an import ban or customs issue.

I got my Custom X on sale last week. It was 30% off so ended up paying 440 for the board, and 200-ish for the EST Bindings. A lot of sites I visited is already having their end of season sales. I assume that stores would follow suit.
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Question

Hey Surf+Snow. Not to get off subject but how are the resorts you mentioned? I've got a buddy that lives in Germany and thought about going to visit him and hitting some mountains near there. I'm not exactly sure where he's at. Near a U.S. military base.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
Not sure about Germany a lot of sites I went to that sell Burton stuff specifically says they cannot ship Burtons outside of the U.S. Not sure if its an import ban or customs issue.

I got my Custom X on sale last week. It was 30% off so ended up paying 440 for the board, and 200-ish for the EST Bindings. A lot of sites I visited is already having their end of season sales. I assume that stores would follow suit.
Thanks for the comment!

I will be in Miami as of next week for a few weeks, so I am planning to buy it there at a pro shop or online. I am debating between the Burton Custom X, Ride Machete and the Salomon Man's Board. Which online website do you strongly recommend? I have visited already Evo, The House, Amazon and BuySnow.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn.K View Post
Hey Surf+Snow. Not to get off subject but how are the resorts you mentioned? I've got a buddy that lives in Germany and thought about going to visit him and hitting some mountains near there. I'm not exactly sure where he's at. Near a U.S. military base.
Thanks,
Steve
In Germany, I only go to "Garmisch-Partenkirchen" in the south of Bavaria and close to the border of Austria. The Resort is very good and the little village is beautiful (not a lot of nightlife), but the quality is above average when compared to the famous Resorts in Austria, Switzerland, France and North America. Nonetheless, it has a very cool mountain peak called the "Zugspitze", which is Germany's tallest peak and you get to snowboard on top of a glacier, it has a very nice freestyle park and to get up there you get to ride a train that goes inside a mountain tunnel and then you travel to the base on the peak via a large gondola.

As far as Austria and Switzerland, they have the best Resorts in Europe and tons of options in terms of rides, cost and quality. I have been to Kitzbühel, St. Anton, Innsbruck and Sölden in Austria and Davos, Klosters and St. Moritz in Switzerland. It is definitely much cheaper to go to Austria, than Germany and Switzerland. I don't think I will be going any time soon to Switzerland, since it is outrageously expensive. Although I have to admit that Davos is where I've had the most fun in Europe.

I still prefer snowboarding in the US at Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Park City Utah, New Mexico, Breckenridge and Beaver Creek and I went once to Whistler in Canada and fell in love with it. Nonetheless, I think that snowboarding in Europe has a certain mystique and elegance, the Alps are outstanding, the Apres Ski is awesome and you can go to many Resorts in a very short travel time.

Last week, I went with some friends to Bovec-Kanin in Slovenia which is close to Sella Nevea, Italy. Slovenia was very cheap and me and my buddies had a fantastic time there! The place is unbelievably cheap! We stayed at a HUGE chalet with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, hot tub, flat screen TV's and located in the city center, and it was only €50 per. The lift tickets were like €18-20 per day with student discount and the cool thing is that you get to snowboard across the border from Slovenia into Italy and you have access to both mountains with your lift ticket. The Italian side is much better (Sella Nevea). I think that Italy is also a good option, in terms of quality vs. cost, but I still have yet to explore it.

Last edited by Surf+Snow; 03-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got mine at Evo.com. It seems they are all sold out now. Search for Custom X showed no results.

DogFunk.com also has their 20% sale right now, you can get a 156 and 158 for around 520. I only ever bought one item from them, my airhole ski mask, but it feels like a great place to shop.
Burton Custom X Snowboard from Dogfunk.com

There is a sticky on this site with online retailers, you can check that.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...retailers.html
JamesX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks JamesX! I'm looking into buying my board in 160-163. What do you think would be my right size? I have already tried endless sizing charts and calculators and they all point to around that size. I must admit, buying a snowboard requires a lot of research due to all the specs, models, brands, marketing gimmicks and "snowboard gear lingo" that I am now just learning like pow, grommers, park, pop, flex, taper, waist, jib, buttering, rocker vs camber, freeride vs freestyle etc.. Finding the right snowboard can be a daunting task! LOL!

Last edited by Surf+Snow; 03-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
SBK

I've become a big fan of Magnatraction this year. Demo'd some Gnu and LibTech boards and now ride a Lib Tech Jamie Lynn. I was on a trip recently and broke a binding and had to rent a board the last day of our trip. The first board they gave me was a Burton, don't remember the name, but it was "performance" board and one of two models they had in my size range, 157cm-160cm. After a few runs on fast, icy groomers, I rode to the base shop and switched out to a 163cm Rossignol Crypto. They only had them in 163cm and 167cm so I thought they were a little to long. But after washing out my edge several times I decided to give the bigger board a go. It turned out to be a good choice. The edges held much better and the bigger board wasn't too cumbersome since it was a groomer kind of day.

I don't think I would buy another board without some sort of enhanced edge control. In Washington State and the Pacific Coast in general we get a fair amount of icy conditions.

I know several brands have this besides LibTech and Gnu, like Rossignol, Arbor and Never Summer. I think there are a lot of good boards byt these companies that would serve your purposes. In LibTech I think the ones you mentioned are good, have heard a lot of people love the Banana Magic, plus I think the TRS (similar to the Gnu Riders Choice) & T. Rice would fit your needs. I thought the GNU Altered Genetics was pretty awesome, a little more flex and damp.

There should be a lot of deals now since it is close to the end of the season. I'm already getting e-mails from online retailers putting stuff on closeout.

A lot of boards here are made in Europe, curious if they might not be cheaper over there?
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote