best board for a beginner. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default best board for a beginner.

Hey all im just looking for some advice on a new snowboard, Ive only ever been snowboarding 3 times or so. i guess you could say im still a beginner but i would be at the end of beginner as i can board without any problems turn and all that stuff. what i will be mainly doing is just riding around the mountain as im not good enough to ride in the park yet. i want something i can progress with but also have fun with and something that can handle its self at decent speed. I will also mention it will have to be a wide board as i wear size 12 snowboard boots. If you need to know any more info let me know. Any help will be muchly appreciated Thanks
vassallo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I know you're looking for an easy answer here but unfortunately there is no "best board" for any person or situation. If you can get to a demo day at a local hill that would be my best piece of advice.

Otherwise, stay in the mid-range of most product lines and you'll end up with a good setup. My girlfriend started with a K2 Luna, K2 Bliss bindings, and Burton Sapphire boots. Those are all mid-range, all-mountain style items. You don't want to limit yourself by buying the extreme of any spectrum (ie. stiffness, camber profile, etc. etc.)

A lot of boot companies these days are trying hard to reduce the overall length of a given sized boot. When picking your first setup, buy the boots FIRST. Try on a ton of options and don't even worry about price until you start feeling what a truly proper fit feels like. It should be tight, not have much heel lift, but also not make your feet go numb. It's a fine line to walk.

Once you have boots then you can find a board/binding combo wide enough to match. Generally if you're buying a bigger board to handle the weight, they'll already be wide enough for the feet to go with the body lol. I think you would want something around 260mm+ in width, but again nothing beats mounting the bindings to the board, putting the boots in the bindings, and rocking that thing back and forth on a table to see where your toes/heels would start to dig in. In this dry test my board gets to about a 60-70 degree angle before they touch.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I see I see well i will just start looking around and see which suits me. thanks for your help appreciate it.
vassallo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Like previously mentioned, there is no one single fit so try looking at many options, brands, models and just get whatever works for you. Nonetheless, I would start by looking at All-Mountain snowboards that have a catch free rocker and made by solid brands such as the K2 Brigade, K2 Moment, Burton TWC Standard, Burton Clash, Burton Bullet or the Salomon Ace. These are all great boards to begin with and are in the $250 - $350 price range, so you will have some extra cash to invest in good bindings and boots.
Surf+Snow is offline   Reply With Quote