Board advice needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board advice needed

I'm thinking of getting a second board and binding setup and wanted to get some opinions.

I currently ride a Bataleon Omni 159, which is cambered but with triple base technology. This is my third season on the board and I ride it quite comfortably. The thing that I like most about it is the feeling I have of stability, like it grabs the mountain.

I've tried demo'ing two different boards, both were some sort of reverse camber technology. The last board was a "Never Summer" and the board before that was a Burton (I think it was a flying V or something like that).

Thing is, even though I only rode the Burton and the Never Summer for one day, I never got comfortable on either board. I was nervous, anxious and felt like a general lack of stability. What I did like was how easy they were to turn though, to get the back of the board to go easily and quickly where I wanted it. But I wasn't sure footed at all.. And seeing the nose flop around... I just couldn't relax and enjoy.

But on both days, I couldn't wait to be done riding RC and get back on my Omni where I felt like even though I didn't have the maneuverability, I had more control.

So, what should I look for with my next setup? What else should I demo?

I should add, I'm advanced to expert level (that's what my instructor told me when I took a private). And I board almost entirely at Mammoth. I don't jump or do parks. I'm 5'11, 185lbs, and late 30's.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

B
B-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't worry, some people just need more time to get accustomed to a new camber profile and 1 day might not be enough for you.

If you wanna stick with camber how bout trying out an Arbor Element CX? Signal OG also comes to mind for a nice camber board.

I think you should give hybrid camber boards another shot though. Maybe try a camrock board instead? With camber between the feet and rocker at the tips. Signal Omni I know has this profile... but I'm not sure of others... Rossi OneMag? and I believe some Ride boards have this profile. You might outright hate it more than rocker-camber, but who knows, you might like it.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

if you're happy with tbt, why change it? I loved it too on my evil twin but I thought the boards were too heavy and not damp enough.

please specify what you're looking for in a second setup. more freestyle? more charging? you seem to be happy with your current setup and I don't know what you want to change. IMO, when you find a tech that's great for your style of riding, just stick with it. tbt is a great concept and you don't seem to be comfortable with other tech (though you could try rocker-camber-rocker, such as ride and yes have).

cheers
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah if you stroll like TBT that much why change? Bataleon has plenty of other great boards.

If youre just looking to diversify a bit, look for all mountain sticks that are flat or mostly flat. It will give you that extra ease of maneuverability but keeps things a little more locked and stable. Signal is doing th OG next year in flat and it rides great. K2 has a couple options, i think either the Protohype or the Lifelike are flat and the Slayblade is. They're also debuting a new tip profile that makes a lot of sense for non-traditional cambber decks.

Other than that maybe check out the newest Flow Infinite with popcam. Normal camber between the feet then mollower camber outside the feet.

You likely havent ridden a Camrock yet, its the opposite of the RC in NS and Flying V. Might be what you're looking for if you waant to try a rocker of some kind. Signal Omni and the YES Optimistic (and possibly the Pick Your Line).

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses.

I really do enjoy the TBT as mentioned but soooo many people preach about RC, I feel like I must be missing something.

Ultimately I'd like to find something that has the toss-ability of the RC boards while also transmitting the feeling of stability I get from the Bataleon. And while I can attack bumps with the TBT Bataleon with proficiency, I could easily see the maneuverability of a RC would help me negotiate them with more ease.

I guess maybe a better question than what type of board should I get, is:
What type of setup should I look for in my second board?

I guess this would be an easier question if I rode park... But since I don't... An all mountain rider like me, what would be a nice compliment function of board? Should I be looking for something longer? Better in deep powder? Faster? More rigid? Less rigid?

I guess the reason I've been demo'ing RC is because I have a camber setup and assumed a RC setup would be a nice compliment.

But since I already have an "All-around" type setup, should I just be looking for a new "all-around" setup that I like more so I can retire my Omni? Or do I look for a board with an entirely new purpose?

Thanks

ps - just want to add so I can vocalize my opinion.... I have K2 Step in bindings... I think they are awesome! I have demo'd the Gnu variation and like them to a lesser extent, but can't even begin to understand why these aren't more popular. They are extremely tight, easy, well made and a joy to have.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

What are K2 step-ins - do you mean Cinch? I gave them to my daughter, she loves them...

Like Nivek, I would suggest demoing a K2 flat, or camrock like Rossi, or even a Jones board, e.g. Mountain Twin

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lernr View Post
What are K2 step-ins - do you mean Cinch? I gave them to my daughter, she loves them...

Like Nivek, I would suggest demoing a K2 flat, or camrock like Rossi, or even a Jones board, e.g. Mountain Twin

Cheers
Ivo
Yup, the Cinch bindings. They are GREAT!!!

When I first started boarding, I was heavy, about 240lbs. I had a hard time, cause of my fat ass belly, negotiating traditional bindings. I could do it, but I was slow and it was uncomfortable. When I went to purchase my first setup, I was gonna get the Flow's but was steered towards the K2 Cinch.
Now when it's time to strap in, I'm literally in and out of my bindings in seconds with no uncomfortable strap-in period.

I've since lost 65lbs. and have become entirely more flexible... But I would never go to a traditional binding. People say they are less sturdy but I've rented traditional bindings and find no apparent difference at all.
I also demo'd the GNU version, which seem to be a higher quality of manufacturing in the hardware, but the K2's i like better.