Finally rode an Arbor, need tips on flatbasing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Finally rode an Arbor, need tips on flatbasing

Finally rode my Arbor Coda. I love this board, it is fun. Has a lot of pop, more so than my Evo I feel like. I was hitting jumps larger than I ever have before and nailed all of them. At my age that's quite the accomplishment. It felt super stable on landings, more than the Evo, and I want to say about the same as the SL but I'm much improved now than when I rode the SL last year.

That said, I'm having a hell of a time flatbasing or riding anything semi flat. If I just lay it flat, the thing has a mind of its own. It'll squirrel left or right, or just slowly start drifting to one side and I'll have to really really overcompensate the other way to point it straight. If I put it on edge slightly, it still doesn't solve it. If I put it on my toe edge, the tail will slide out. I have to shift back and forth which makes me lose speed. On the NS r/c, I could just lean forward and engage the camber and just go.

But it's a good thing the base felt fast. Albeit very very soft. I got some deep scratches just from the groomers. Less durable than NS for sure.

Last edited by jdang307; 03-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

sorry, no real advice here, as I never rode the Arbor - but wanted to say congrats on nailing your jumps (at your age - I feel the same about my riding nowadays) and also ouch! on getting scratches from the groomers

Can it be a defect? I always hear that Arbors ding easily and are not durable, but they have 'park' boards, so I can't quite comprehend this - deep scratches from groomers The Blacklist must be falling to pieces then,,,

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Are you squared up to your board? Center reverse camber boards will saucer if your form isn't really tight. That's the tradeoff since camber and flat boards will kind of keep themselves straight though will catch a contact point if pushed too far.

My Westmark tracks fast and straight when flat on groomers. However, as soon as I ride switch, I can feel it wanted to wander ever so slightly. This is my switch riding being slightly weaker than my normal stance.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Are you squared up to your board? Center reverse camber boards will saucer if your form isn't really tight. That's the tradeoff since camber and flat boards will kind of keep themselves straight though will catch a contact point if pushed too far.

My Westmark tracks fast and straight when flat on groomers. However, as soon as I ride switch, I can feel it wanted to wander ever so slightly. This is my switch riding being slightly weaker than my normal stance.
I think i'm square, but how do you really know. I ride +18/-12 which was fine on the never summer's but feel really really weird on the arbor.

I know I need to play with that. When I try to square up it wanders more, and I'm almost chest straight ahead to keep it from flying to the right (toeside, I'm regular). When you're on a tight cat trail with a big cliff it gets kind of hairy!

lernr, thanks. Yeah it felt good. Although one one series of jumps I nailed the first one, and there was one immediately after so while setting up I caught an edge (yes on a rocker board) and I have no clue how I caught it, but I was a scorpion right at the bottom of the jump.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lernr View Post
sorry, no real advice here, as I never rode the Arbor - but wanted to say congrats on nailing your jumps (at your age - I feel the same about my riding nowadays) and also ouch! on getting scratches from the groomers

Can it be a defect? I always hear that Arbors ding easily and are not durable, but they have 'park' boards, so I can't quite comprehend this - deep scratches from groomers The Blacklist must be falling to pieces then,,,

Cheers
Ivo
It's not a defect, just a softer base. After one day on groomers it has deeper scratches than my Evo which I took through trees and over some rocks. It's just anecdotal evidence on my part, but it's definitely softer. I'll just beat the shit out of it and then move on. The top sheet though I was expecting to see some damage because I banged a few things (moving from a 150 to 153) but no chips nothing. I even slammed into a bench (one foot skating to the bench and slid). Nothing.

I've never had to use Ptex before but I have a feeling I may on this one. Oh well, I knew that going in. The base is fast though.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

How does the Blacklist/Westmark stack up against the Evo?
losib3257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

They are similar. I like the Westmark more, the NS have better bases, though.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
They are similar. I like the Westmark more, the NS have better bases, though.
I'm sold on the Blacklist, but a part of my mind keeps going back to the Evo.
losib3257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Buy one and just ride it. I bought two Westmarks this season and just kept the same setup. It makes progressing easier when you don't have to dial in every single time to a new setup. I did ride a Draft because it's so similar to the Westmark, a Parkstar I found for cheap at a LBS and demoed a Signal. But overall, I have well over 30 on the Westmark and it's my favorite.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losib3257 View Post
I'm sold on the Blacklist, but a part of my mind keeps going back to the Evo.
I find the Arbors to be more fun to ride, but NS does have stronger bases IMO. As for the rest of the boards durability, I must of slammed my Westmark into hundreds of trees at Jay Peak a few weeks ago and the board held up way past my expectations.
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote