Small girl BIG feet board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Small girl BIG feet board help

Im 5'1" 105 with size 10 DC boots. My feet are 24.5 cm.
I am a beginner and want a board I can ride all over with a little park action.
I cant find a women's board that seems wide enough for my lugs and men's boards seem to long/wide.
I am looking for a camber board and found some men's boards like the Forum Contract 146 and the Rossignol Retox Amptek 147, would these be ok for all mountain and for my body and foot size?
Do you have any other suggestions for boards?
unemployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployed View Post
Im 5'1" 105 with size 10 DC boots. My feet are 24.5 cm.
I am a beginner and want a board I can ride all over with a little park action.
I cant find a women's board that seems wide enough for my lugs and men's boards seem to long/wide.
I am looking for a camber board and found some men's boards like the Forum Contract 146 and the Rossignol Retox Amptek 147, would these be ok for all mountain and for my body and foot size?
Do you have any other suggestions for boards?
Nothing wrong with riding a mens board, just get the length based on your weight and it'll feel right. Also, are you SURE your boots fit you right? Most people buy boots the same size as their shoes, when if fact they should probably be a size, size-and-a-half smaller in most cases.

I just measured my foot and it's 25.0 cm exactly to the tip of the big toe. I wear a size 8.5 mens shoe, and my boots are a 7.5 Burton. I'm thinking you might be better off in a 9-9.5 womens boot but that's just my internet guess.

For boards, I ride one with a waist width of 246mm. The Contract 146 has basically the same waist width so you should be fine on that, although you'll be light for it, so it'll likely feel stiffer than it's designed to me. That shouldn't be a problem though.

Just spent a while trying to find a womens board with the waist width you need designed for your weight, and you're right they're all skinny. Even a K2 148W is still only 242 mm at the waist. Looks like a short mens board will suit you better. Just be aware that they'll be stiffer than advertised so if you're looking for a mid range flex, you probably want to get something lower on the flex ratings (around a 3 if they rate them out of 10).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

Another option is to go with a regular women's board for your weight and style and use riser plates...this my recommendation due to your otherwise dainty size. With riser plates you will get the benefit of gaining better edge angles which in the short run are more responsive and perhaps punishing but in the long run you will develop excellent edge control. My daughter used diy 20mm plates when learning on a big ass board, it forced her to develop excellent edge control and she can rip. I made high density plastic (cutting board material) using regular wood working tools; the plates matched the foot print of her binding so that it would not mess with the flex pattern of the board. Plates like Palmer plates have a bigger foot print thus can mess with the flex and torsional flex of the board.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 03-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How old are you? I mean, are you a kid still growing?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I normally wear a size 8.5, I tried on size 9 in the DC boots and my toes were curled up. I didnt try a 9.5 but the 10 feels good. There is a very small amount of heel slip after a week of wearing them but it is very very minimal. I only notice it if I am standing on toe edge and try to jump up the hill or out of powder or something weird.
My brother has 25 cm exactly also and he wears a size 9.5 in reg shoes and his boots are 9.5 Vans although he said they might be a little big after a couple seasons.
@ wrathfuldeity You mention risers I have 2 questions.
What size should I look for?
Also your reference to your daughter is the opposite of what you suggested for me. You said get a normal size board but you referenced your daughter was using a board to large for her.
Will the risers achieve the same goal with a normal size board?

I am 28.
unemployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

op, this was when she was 9 or 10 weighed maybe 90# and was maybe 5' and riding an option 148 bella, stiffy fr board. by the time she was 12, she was throwing the bella around and maxing out the speed...maybe 5'1" and 110#. At age 13, she got a option kendra starr 155 for her pow board and at 14 she got a salomon lush 144 for her park board. But now at 17 at 5'3" and 125#, she ski cause she can go faster and bigger..after 3-4 sets of skis is on k2 169 miss directed fatty rockered twins which are relatively huge for her size, but she is an athletic little bulldog.

imho, the risers will achieve the same goal and there are some added benefits due to your small size concerning flex and edge to edge response will be tougher on a men's board.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 03-02-2012 at 04:07 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployed View Post
I am 28.
Whew. I don't feel creepy then.

I bet you have big hands too, right?

OMG guys... this is the holy grail. A tiny little thing like this that you can toss around in the bed but not worry about bottoming out on? Amazing.

Sorry... I really shouldn't start drinking so early during the day.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Sorry... I really shouldn't start drinking so early during the day.
Yup definitely a creeper message... lol

BTW I was looking at risers for a Kessler Ride. A lot of the racers use risers, in fact I think almost all of them do. Yeah risers could make a properly sized board that was too narrow, work for you by elevating your toes and heels (allowing you to carve harder before they touched snow).

OP: I don't mean to keep beating you over the head with the boot issue, but I boarded for almost 20 years before I realized what a proper fitting boot felt like. It should be quite tight. You should be able to touch your toe to the front just slightly, and have basically no heel lift.

I hate to beat a dead horse but a smaller boot would help fix the board width problem.

Edit: Kessler plates on a ride and a BX board. They're wide to distribute the loads. These guys use them for BX so they actually want them to help stiffen the board.

Last edited by poutanen; 03-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

the ampteks are good
different boots fit differently
liner-less are cool nw
magtek30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look into arbor boards. They have the griptech which alleviates the toe and heel hang ever so much.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote