Should I get more than just a Brass brush? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I get more than just a Brass brush?

I want to tune my own board going forward as I feel like I've spent enough having someone else do it (occasionally a crappy job)

Anyway, I have a Dakine Super kit. I wanted to get a brush to go along with the kit as the one included is way too small

1) So brass brush - this is for cleaning the base before waxing? Does this mean I don't need a base cleaner?

2) Nylon brush - would this be used for the same purpose as the brass brush or would it be used at the end of the waxing process to buff?
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't use brushes, but from what I understand the brass is for pre-wax purposes, and the nylon is for buffing after waxing. I just use a Scotch Brite pad to buff though. Gotta love a little greeen scrubby.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You do what now with a brass brush? Are you racing and such?

Would not bother myself. Squish on wax with iron, scrape and just to waste some more time use green scrubby as mentioned above to buff...
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i have a brass brush i use before waxing to get out some of the old wax and clean off some of the crud left on there from rails and shit. i also have a synthetic horse hair brush that i use for right after waxing. this kind of buffs out the wax a little and gives it a high gloss finish, i mainly do this on pow days for better glide but sometimes will do it just for the hell of it anyway if i dont feel like scraping a lot.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

No brush usage here.
Scraper, wax, iron and a scotch brite pad when I have one.
marcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use base cleaner if there's lots of black from tree crap and stuff. If I just want to remove old wax but the base looks pretty clean otherwise - then just the fine brass brush to clean.

After this, if I feel so, I may use the coarse steel brush to impart some structure. I don't do this too often - several times a year.

Then wax, scrape, horse hair brush, and if I have time also cork for final gloss. Takes some time but then people wonder why it's easy to glide and smear

I also have the pads but find I don't get to use them much.

Cheers
Ivo
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Brass brush works just fine, better than base cleaner I find. If you want you can always do a hot scrape once in a while, will remove most of the gunk/old wax stuck in the board's pores.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm no racer, but brushing is kinda a necessity around here if you don't want to be slow as a turtle. With pacific "wet" snow and the fact my home mtn's layout was poorly designed by skiers in the early 1950s (and not much has changed since), there's lots of flatter parts that really benefit from the most thorough wax job possible. Brass brush to prep the base before waxing and nylon brush to whisk out the structure after scraping. It's definitely extra work, but I don't like walking when I could be gliding
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

If your base is dirty, Cat grease, tree sap, dirty spring snow etc. then a hot scape is the way to go.

Relatively clean base, this is where a brass brush should be used. Give the deck a good brushing with it to clean out old wax & dirt ( tip to tail ) and you are ready to reach for the iron.

After waxing, let her sit for a least an hour...... then scrape.

After scraping, green scrub pad to clean off what wax is left behind. Again working down the deck, tip to tail.

Now give her a few tip to tail brushes with a nylon or horsehair brush and you are good to go. Enjoy that feeling of "riding on Marbles"
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Here's what I've been doing for the last 20 years or so (doesn't mean it's right!!!)

- scrape off any old shit
- hot wax
- scrape
- texture pad
- nylon brush texture

People usually look at me funny when I just keep on motoring through the flats.

Oh yeah and I've been using mid-temp (-3 to -10 or so Celcius) wax for all seasons.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote