Quality in Snowboard brands - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quality in Snowboard brands

Hi guys

Just reading through topics and i would like to ask people about stuff quality.

From what you read, but mainly for people that rode a lot of boards what do you feel about board tech and quality in diferent brands and price ranges?

Burton, K2, RIDE, NS, capita, bataleon, Gnu, Lib, palmer, rome,smokin....

What brands you feel are best quality/price and with good tech that really makes diference?

And about bindings and boots?

thanks
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib Tech and Never Summer seem to be the companies with Rocker/Camber hybrid tech on lock down, and Lib has the magnetraction thing too. NS are known for building bullet proof decks that last really well, in that breath i've always been suspicious of Libs because the metal edge doesn't wrap around the entire board... which if you don't drop it on concrete all the time it probably doesn't matter.

As you sound like you already know, smokin', gnu etc share some of the same tech so...

Some brands have cheap shite and expensive gear that is good, so you can't write off any company on what people say about their cheaper lines.

Keep reading old posts for info. Your question is super-general to answer fully (oh and i don't know very much about anything really )
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Good tech depends on what you are looking for in a board. One mans good tech is anothers nightmare.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

So far I've beat on all my burton stuff and it's holding up well. My board was driven over by a truck. All my stuff is high end stuff though so not sure if their budget lines hold up as well.

Only big complaint is that burton topsheets chip like they're made of glass. My board looks worse after two seasons than my old board did after 15. Of course it's only cosmetic and it still rides like the day I bought it. I'm not shy around rocks, stumps, trees etc in all my off-piste riding either. Try to avoid but if I get a ding it's better than bailing to avoid. I hit a tree square on the tail and no issues.

My GFs mid-range K2 board is holding up well also, but she's easier on her stuff. She's had issues with her K2 bindings though. The ladders seem to strip easy on her. Not sure if it's the equipment or operator error lol.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well Smokin' has gotten permission to use Mervin's magnetraction technology. They have alot of board profiles, the one I ride is clash rocker(Rocker between bindings, camber outside bindings). Its got probably the strongest base of any boards, but as others have said other than that Neversummers are tanks. For me, Smokin's got everything together but as ETM said one man's ideal board is the next guy's nightmare

As far as bindings go I love Romes. They've without a doubt got the best customer service in the industry and bindings aren't something I buy every season, so when I do I know I'm buying something made with quality. And when something breaks I know I'll get a replacement part for free
And on the topic of customer service, Smokin is up there too. 3 year warranty on the board which is awesome. Also has Bummer Replacement which means if you break the board and you know it's your fault, they'll sell you another board for the price of labor.

E: @Crow79 Smokin' is NOT Mervin. Smokin Jay had something to do with lib tech way back when and they let him use Magne-traction when he made Smokin

Last edited by AlexS; 03-03-2012 at 11:25 PM.
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There's two things to this. 1 everyone makes a turd 2. Quality is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Lib Tech and Never Summer seem to be the companies with Rocker/Camber hybrid tech on lock down, and Lib has the magnetraction thing too. NS are known for building bullet proof decks that last really well, in that breath i've always been suspicious of Libs because the metal edge doesn't wrap around the entire board... which if you don't drop it on concrete all the time it probably doesn't matter.

Non wrap around edges are actually an advantage. If you damage the tip or tail on a Lib-Tech, there will be no damage to the core. It is cosmetic, because the core in a Lib-Tech only extends to about 85% of the board (from the centre) on both ends. The nose and tail are all composite materials.

Almost every other board out there has a tip to tail core and wrap around edges. If you damage that edge badly enough on the end, it could crack the core and you are SOL.

Having said that, while the nose and tail on Mervin (Lib-tech/GNU/Smokin') boards are "core-less", the lack of a wrap around edge means you will get more cosmetic damage than boards like Never summer, that have wrap around edges.
crow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Full wrap tips protect more than those fucking tucked edges. It's 4 points of impact that will rip your edge out. I used to love it when lil Timmy would come in with his edge blown out and I would push it back in and epoxy it back down and charge him 80 bucks.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow79 View Post
Non wrap around edges are actually an advantage. If you damage the tip or tail on a Lib-Tech, there will be no damage to the core. It is cosmetic, because the core in a Lib-Tech only extends to about 85% of the board (from the centre) on both ends. The nose and tail are all composite materials.

Almost every other board out there has a tip to tail core and wrap around edges. If you damage that edge badly enough on the end, it could crack the core and you are SOL.

Having said that, while the nose and tail on Mervin (Lib-tech/GNU/Smokin') boards are "core-less", the lack of a wrap around edge means you will get more cosmetic damage than boards like Never summer, that have wrap around edges.
AAAAAAAAAND Mervins delam easy because of this.

Tucked edges are far far easier to lay in the factory, also it's less edge they have to use. Money. That's why.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow79 View Post

Almost every other board out there has a tip to tail core .
Ever heard of tip fill? Do some research on snowboard manufacturing and get back to me.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote