big guys freestyle/park board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ode

Default big guys freestyle/park board help

Hi everyone. This was my first season riding and have gotten about 35 days so far this year. im 6'5" 250 size 12 boot and am currently riding a ride antic 168w. i like it for cruising groomers and the small pow days weve gotten here in sun valley ID. but im starting to work on freestyle, jumps and some park.

im looking to get a board for next season that can butter, jump and hit up the park to compliment the all mountain board im riding now. i will however still like it to be able to cruise the mountain and hit natural features as well as the jumps in the park. i feel like i would prefer a camber with rocker tips board for the stability while maintaining the more catch free feel of raised contact points. i dont think i would like the feeling of rocker between the feet when transitioning from edge to edge. but in reality i have never rode anything but the flat rocker i have now and rocker would probably not be a problem and flatten out once i stood on it.

ive been looking at boards and have a few in mind but am open to suggestions to look into from those who im sure have more knowledge than me.the boards ive looked at are the rome reverb rocker 161w, the smoking superpark 162w, the nidecker advanced which goes to 165w or advanced sc which goes to 163w. im leaning towards the advanced because the shape and size but see that for 12/13 nidecker seems to have stiffened the advance up a bit and removed the asymetrical sidecut as well as the grip tech which im not sure about. i like the smokin but still am not sure about the shape and cant seem to get diffinitive info on the flex. i also looked into the gnu riders choice which i could get 166w but im not sure if it would be too stiff for what im looking for, im sure it would be a great freestyle/all mtn board but not sure i could butter and the occasional jib with it. i also looked at the proto and revolver from ns. im not sure i would like the shape with rocker between the feet and if the revolver would be too soft to be still be able to cruise the mountain on. the sizes available on these is an issue as well. they have effective edges larger than many other boards even at 160, bit its still a 160.

so i was hopeing to get some feedback on these options as well as any advice on what size boards i should look for and any others which may be worth researching a bit. with size, there dont seem to be many softer freestyle/park boards that go much above or even to 160 and im hesitant to go very small and sacrifice the mountain riding too much. thanks for any imput
Ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the rome, never summer and gnu will have rocker between ur feet.

i think you could go down to a 163, (im 6'6" 200lbs, 12.5 boot and i ride a 163w for my pow/bigger lines board and a 159w for everything else).

check ride, a lot of their boards have early rise tips with slight camber between the feet, something like the buckwild maybe even machette and at a 163w you won't have to worry about toe drag.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ode

i like the ride board i have now and i do think their hybrid shapes look interesting, im just not sure their options in the size i need would be soft enough for my liking. my antic is a 6 flex on their scale and so is the buckwild and machete and i can press my antic but i dont think i could butter it very easily. i will continue to look into their boards boards more though. thanks
Ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if u can kinda press a 168w i would think you could dominate a 163w, i have a 163w highlife and i can press it, not well but that is more cause im not great lol.

168w is HUGE.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote