Final question. Never summer time. Final decision - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
Ok, so maybe a 155 is alright then.
Little worried as found this:
SnowboardingForum.Com
Pretty much completely slates the SL, especially for an early intermediate like me who would be skid turning frequently and flat-basing at times.

Also,
Never Summer SL Dual Camber Snowboard, 155cm, 2012
Is this the same board? It says ''double camber'so was confused.
Never Summer SL Dual Camber Snowboard, 155cm, 2012

Thanks everyone
That top link is busted.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
Ok, so maybe a 155 is alright then.
Little worried as found this:
SnowboardingForum.Com
Pretty much completely slates the SL, especially for an early intermediate like me who would be skid turning frequently and flat-basing at times.

Also,
Never Summer SL Dual Camber Snowboard, 155cm, 2012
Is this the same board? It says ''double camber'so was confused.
Never Summer SL Dual Camber Snowboard, 155cm, 2012

Thanks everyone
I normally would recommend the 158 for someone your weight. However, I think I agree that a 155 will be better for "early intermediate" who does a lot of "skid turning" as you put it. The shorter length will make it easier for someone who is still learning to swing the board around. Again as other people mention the extra 3cm gives you more edgehold and stability... but that is only important if you are doing high speed carving down the slope and is not as important if you as just doing skid turns.

Yes, the SL is technically a dual camber snowboard as it has a rockered *or reverse camber" section between the bindings and two mini-camber section just outside of each binding. All of the Never Summer boards have this... here is a photo take be Leo that shows it


Last edited by lonerider; 03-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
lonerider is offline  
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I normally would recommend the 158 for someone your weight. However, I think I agree that a 155 will be better for "early intermediate" who does a lot of "skid turning" as you put it. The shorter length will make it easier for someone who is still learning to swing the board around. Again as other people mention the extra 3cm gives you more edgehold and stability... but that is only important if you are doing high speed carving down the slope and is not as important if you as just doing skid turns.

[/IMG]
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...not-fun-2.html
Theres the link, alot of people not liking the SL there for ''poor flatbasing and needing to be on its edge all the time'

Cheers, am going for it tonight and just buying one. Technically then i could outgrow the 155 if i get upto some propper carving this season? Cheers
Decade190 is offline  
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...not-fun-2.html
Theres the link, alot of people not liking the SL there for ''poor flatbasing and needing to be on its edge all the time'

Cheers, am going for it tonight and just buying one. Technically then i could outgrow the 155 if i get upto some propper carving this season? Cheers
I have a Legacy, the wide version of the SL and I can confirm that flatbasing on flat portions of the hill makes the SL feel squirrelly.

Flatbasing leading to kickers, boxes or whatever are no issue but on the flats...yeah, that's where I notice it.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is online now  
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
On groomed slope its no problem but on flat it is?

Maybe i should rethink board choice
Decade190 is offline  
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...not-fun-2.html
Theres the link, alot of people not liking the SL there for ''poor flatbasing and needing to be on its edge all the time'

Cheers, am going for it tonight and just buying one. Technically then i could outgrow the 155 if i get upto some propper carving this season? Cheers
The SL is less than ideal if you are trying to flat base down a steeper icy slope without edging - if you like that style of bombing down a run then you might want to consider something else.

However... I've had no problem flat-basing a SL to hit a 40 ft kicker, or to keep my speed up across a flat traverse.

For you second question - yes, technically you could outgrow the 155 if you really get into carving. However, unless you are taking lessons and doing some serious practicing and/or riding a lot of days, it is unlikely you will feel limited by the 155 in say two season (or 30 days of riding). Even on top of that, there is a bit of person preference. Snowolf is like 200 lbs and rides a 156.

Here is a video of my on a 2009 SL 155 and I was 5'9" 150 lbs at the time:


Last edited by lonerider; 03-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
lonerider is offline  
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That looks like some pretty tight carving... looks like the board is great for that.
I'm starting to wonder if i need wait till i got carving fully down before getting something like the SL.
I wonder if the arbor coda or lib tech TRS might be better for flatbasing/skidded turns.
I don't even flatbase often, but like to feel stable when i do...
Decade190 is offline  
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
That looks like some pretty tight carving... looks like the board is great for that.
I'm starting to wonder if i need wait till i got carving fully down before getting something like the SL.
I wonder if the arbor coda or lib tech TRS might be better for flatbasing/skidded turns.
I don't even flatbase often, but like to feel stable when i do...
Pretty much all reverse cambered boards are less stable when flatbasing.

Talk to jdang... he just bought a Arbor Coda coming from a NS SL and Evo I think.
lonerider is offline  
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhendo190 View Post
On groomed slope its no problem but on flat it is?

Maybe i should rethink board choice
I wouldn't call it a problem. I love that board so much and I've yet to catch an edge on it despite this being my second season. I caught edges all the time on my old board.

Anyways, I'd say "it's noticable at times" not that it's a problem.

I think you'd have this issue with any rockered board.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is online now  
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Will have a word wit jdang then, sounds like he'll know what to do ha

Cool, i won't be put off then. Might jus go for the SL and just get on with it...
Will flip a coin for the 155/158
Decade190 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome