Capita Black Snowboard of Death (ridden and semi reviewed) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Black Snowboard of Death (ridden and semi reviewed)

Well guys, finally have had the chance to ride this board. I'm 5'11 175. I'm up at Revelstoke and Kicking Horse, and snagged a 156 for some fun. Not my board, but basically brand new. Buddy sent me with it for this trip to take along with my Lib Tech T Rice 157.

Here are some quick thoughts. One of these days I'll start writing reviews, but to do it right, I think you have to put the detail in that some of the other people do here, and I just haven't had time yet to do that.

Anyway, conditions have been amazing. Powder the last three days at both resorts, consisting of up to waist high in some sections of Revelstoke, and knee high in most of the untouched stuff at Kicking Horse.

Long story short, borrowed the board because I was thinking it would be a perfect place to try the board out and just mix it up.

Positives - groomers the thing kicks ass. You can really rail into a carve, due to camber in this board. Doesn't chatter anywhere near as much as my Yes Optimistic. Very quick base. Very solid float in powder due to the set back, and rocker in the tips. Not anywhere near as floaty as my Optimistic (which the Optimistic sized up at a 159 feels like a powder board to me), but still a board I would consider a good all mountain deck in the pow. The pop was also pretty good from this board.

Negatives - Edge to edge initiation and quickness. This thing has more pronouced camber than the Optimistic, therefore, you are dealing with more work to get edge to edge. Definitely not slow, or anywhere near the work of a pure cambered deck, so mission accomplished for Capita with a combo board.

***However, here was the main reason for posting. First, I'll preface this by saying that when you have that much snow, the chop in the afternoon as it's ridden out is brutal. That's natural. However, this board got chucked around more than any board I have ridden recently. The dampness is hardly there with this board, and maybe because it's super light, no idea, but this board is brutal in the chop. And that for me was HIGHLY disappointing given that this deck is an aggessive all mountain deck. Even riding in the trees, this board just gets bucked off every ridden out trail.

Conversely, the T Rice always holds strong here. Such a damp board, but, and I know, going to get banned for always mentioning it, but gives you better feel of the mountain in my opinion, than a Never Summer counterpart, which might as well be a plank.

The T Rice is much faster edge to edge, miles easier to initiate turns with the profile of having rocker between and under foot, and the MTX and camber zones just work. I am always curious to see if I find a board I like better than my T Rice, but always go back to this board. The BSOD obviously had powder float on the Rice with the setback, and softer rockered tip.

***Should be noted, a Jamie Lynn would be a better comparison to the BSOD, because it too has a setback, a similar waist, and fits the same category of board. I rode the Lynn last year, and loved it, but it's pretty damn similar to the T Rice.

Flex - should talk about this. The BSOD is much softer than my Rice, stiffer than a TRS. I was actually surprised this thing wasn't much stiffer from tip to tail like the Rice. However, if it makes sense, torsionally, the BSOD was stiffer. I would say on par with the Optimistic in flex.

***I recommend this for someone that bombs morning groomers, and likes getting into the powder, without having a dedicated pow stick. But be warned, it's not damp, and in fact, was below average for a big mountain board. Not as damp as the Optimistic.

***Overall, came away disappointed here. I have a Capita Ultrafear, and love the damn board. Perfect for what it's for. Was thinking Capita probably had this stick dialed as well, however, I could name about half a dozen boards I would take over this thing, with a small list starting with the Jamie Lynn, Yes Big City (should be similar to the Optimistic), Never Summer Heritage, Ride Berzerker (rode last years High Life, which is basically the same board no?).

Sidebar, but I'll get my ass into the review section soon. This year, I have had a chance to ride the following boards: K2 Happy Hour, Lib Tech Attack Banana, Never Summer Proto, Arbor Coda, Burton Sherlock, Forum Double Dog Destroyer, Forum Honeypot, Lib Tech TRS, Smokin Superpark, Never Summer Evo, Capita Ultrafear (own).
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

How did you like the k2 happy hour? i got to demo the 2013 and it was probably the most fun board i have ever ridden.
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is more an issue with me, but I'm not a huge fan of the full flatline profile. I like the 80/20 because of the added rocker in the tips. Overall, thought the Happy Hour was one on the poppiest decks I have ridden. Pop for days on that board. Edge hold was average in my opinion. Torsionally quick, and a nice med/soft flex, which doesn't perform like shit on the bigger parts of the mountain because of flatline tech. Thought the pointed tips would bug the shit out of me, but after a couple runs, you forget they are there until you accidently knife it into some deeper stuff playing around.

Only reason I wasn't sold on the board was flatline. I like what K2 did with the Raygun. Flat past the bindings to rocker. Same with my UltraFear, with the flat kick tech.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Any chance you have ridden a Rider's choice? Just seeing how it compares to everything
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Of the boards that you've ridden this year that could be considered a "freestyle/all mountain board" which did you prefer?
grinaldo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry Jdang, haven't ridden it. Hate to speculate without trying it.

Grinaldo, for free style all mountain, I really like the Smokin Superpark. I know some will say it's geared more toward the park, but I disagree. The board was just as stiff, if not more stiff than the TRS. The dampening was solid for chop, but it felt more poppy than a typical Lib board. Probably the poppiest freestyle board I rode. Still has magnatraction, so the board has great edge hold. Torsionally, the board is fairly soft, and easy to work in tight spaces. The board is so much fun to turn. Just a fun board to ride. Was blown away by this board, because I was expecting a Lib knock off so to speak, but instead, they did a lot to fix some of the issues I didn't like with the TRS.

I'll give Never Summer some props here. The Proto for me was a very solid board. It did everything pretty well, but nothing spectacular. Had pretty solid pop, was very stable on landings. Edge to edge quickness was solid, nothing special (my complaint with almost all Never Summers - the trade off for all the dampening I guess). Construction - you can see the difference in these boards. They are built to last. Found myself really enjoying this board on small to medium sized jumps because of how dependable it was on landings. You could use this guy in the park on boxes and rails, but will say it's a little stiff to get the most from it. But is capable. Took it to the top of Jackson Hole's Tram (yes, I've taken a shit load of vacation this year). Rode everything well. Edge hold on the NS's is pretty damn solid with the Vario grip. Bottom line, when I think of the Proto, I think of that old dependable labrador. You can just count on this board to handle about anything you toss at it. Nothing will wow you out of this board. It's your classic B+ student.

Wasn't a fan of the Attack Banana. Didn't like the way this one turned. Compared it directly to the Proto over a two day period. It is torsionally quicker edge to edge, even though they probably have similar torsional flex, but that was where the good stopped for me. The board has sort of a weird turn initiation that was frustrating in the trees and tight spaces. Found myself fighting the board at times. Could I have gotten used to it? Probably. Would I want to? Not really. The pop for me was solid, but not spectacular. The dampening was very good, as with most Lib Techs. This boards profile is different, with the EC2. For me, C2 is better suited for riding the mountain. Stability was not awesome at speed. Just thought I'd comment on this one even though I don't recommend it. A lot of hype behind this one, but for me, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the other two.

So, to answer your question, best freestyle / all mountain board was the Smokin Superpark. Now, if you changed the wording of your question to best all mountain / freestyle capable board, the Coda definitely enters the mix. Medium in flex, and probably wouldn't be a board I would pick to really take advantage of in the park (sure the Blacklist / Westmark work here), but for a rider that takes the whole mountain as your park approach, this thing is very stable despite the full rocker profile, very surfy, turns on a dime, and again, without camber, still has great pop. Very capable of charging. But to me, doesn't fit the freestyle but capable of all mountain. It's the other way around.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow thanks! That was a surprisingly more in depth answer then i honestly expect to get.

Glad to hear you like the Superpark, I just picked up a Smokin Team Series 148. Excited to ride it and was curious to see how you felt the Smokin stacked up against other boards. You mentioned the Proto but not the Evo. Did you think the Evo doesn't really fall into the freestyle/all mountain category? More pure park oriented?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
mjd

i demo'd the black death the first year they came out the rocker/death grip and felt it turned fine at speed but something was off when not bombing ripping carves. i think it's wants it to be a full cambered board.

for me the smoking boards where a bit of a let down as my main board for the last two seasons has been the t rice. the super park felt squirrelly and not very damp. i really wanted to like smokin but it wasn't happening for me. demo'd them twice on two different mts/conditions and got the same feeling that something big was missing. it's the same thing i felt when i rode the attack banana. i couldn't get comfortable on that board at all.

next year's coda and ns sl are world class boards i thought. both both are totally dialed in. i will probably downsize on the coda and replace my old stairmaster with it for next year.

the westmark was also a great board for park features.

i wish i could figure out smokin though. i may just need more time them.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
i demo'd the black death the first year they came out the rocker/death grip and felt it turned fine at speed but something was off when not bombing ripping carves. i think it's wants it to be a full cambered board.

for me the smoking boards where a bit of a let down as my main board for the last two seasons has been the t rice. the super park felt squirrelly and not very damp. i really wanted to like smokin but it wasn't happening for me. demo'd them twice on two different mts/conditions and got the same feeling that something big was missing. it's the same thing i felt when i rode the attack banana. i couldn't get comfortable on that board at all.

next year's coda and ns sl are world class boards i thought. both both are totally dialed in. i will probably downsize on the coda and replace my old stairmaster with it for next year.

the westmark was also a great board for park features.

i wish i could figure out smokin though. i may just need more time them.
I'll let you know how I like the Team Series since it is quite a bit different then the Superpark, I would expect it (though I haven't ridden it yet and therefore can't say for sure) to be like a slightly different Signal Park Flat, similar flex to the Evo. Plus the addition of skate kicks to reduce catchiness and the toned down magna traction (I ride east coast with the exception of a trip or two per season). Really hoping that I like it and I've heard a lot of good things about it and like you said I want to like them a lot. Since its a designated park board i figured a flat would be the way to go for me, though SmokinSummer has said it still does float pretty well in powder.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Grinaldo - the Evo. I liked the Evo. But for me, it was a board I compared directly with the Salomon Drift, and Capita Ultrafear. Wanted a park board that could cruise the mountain as well when my friends that were starting out snowboarding that year were with me. Gave me something to have fun on while on some of the less challenging trails, and also do very well in the park. The Evo fit that category, was my runner up as I went with the Ultrafear. Has solid dampening for a board that can do well in the park. But if you want something that can handle the mountain as well as freestyle, I just lean toward the Proto. Just does it all better in my opinion. Like I said, I took the proto everywhere. Not sure I would have done that with the Evo. You can, but you could also take the Ultrafear everywhere, but there are better choices for that.

mjd, I know what you mean. My T Rice is the best board I have ever ridden, but it's not for everyone. And the one area it falls slightly short, is playing around on the mountain. I'm talking days when there isn't powder, the bowls are crud, and you are down to screwing around on the mountain, or cruising groomers. I find myself wanting something more playful. I road the SL last season, and found it to be too planky to have fun. Didn't turn on a dime like Lib Techs version of rocker & camber tech (C2), and for me personally, was missing something. You and I have the same opinion of the Coda. Board is sick. Really, really fun. I really want to try a Banana Magic. The profile makes for a slightly stiffer Coda, which to me would be a great board. I prefer stiff all mountain boards, but want them torsionally playful and plenty of pop.

As far as being squirely, I thought the TRS was much worse than the Super Park. I'm a person that likes a little squirelyness, because it adds to the play of the board. The TRS was a little too far in that direction for me, but thought the Superpark was dialed for a board that leans more freestyle than all mountain. Was stable on landings, had pop, and was torsionally loose. I personally didn't notice much difference in dampness between the TRS and Superpark.

mjd, think you hit the point I was missing, but you said it pretty well. The BSOD wants to be a cambered deck. The rocker in the tips doesn't help much. And like BA has said, and I agree personally for my riding style, and what I enjoy. Pure camber is dead. The new tech just adds so much with turn initiation, ability to play around, etc, that pure camber is really for someone that just wants to bomb groomers all day. I just found when just cruising and messing around, the BSOD really feel short. But the lack of dampening was also a major issue. This board was sold as a very aggressive all mountain board. Kind of difficult to be that when it gets bucked everywhere. Better get first tracks, or this board falls short in my opinion.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 03-07-2012 at 12:20 PM.