Thoughts on LibTech Dark Series - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on LibTech Dark Series

Hey all,

I currently ride a Burton Balance 156. It's a little short for me since I'm 5' 11". But the other problem I have is I wear a size 13 boot and the board seems to catch the toe edge quite often. I went and did some shopping around at a local snowboard / ski vendor. Being that I haven't been back in the game for awhile I'm not sure what's good any more and/or new.

The sales rep introduced me to the LibTech Dark Series. He mentioned the 161W would be a good fit for me. I personally have never heard of them (until now).

Figured you guys would be the best ones with input and/or what I can currently do to resolve my Sasquatch issue when riding my board. Do I need a new one? Can I change up my bindings? Is it just time for a new board?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Volt; 03-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Height doesn't it really matter much, your weight matters more for size.

The dark series is a great board, but it seems like the salesman is trying to up sell you. If you haven't been snowboarding in a while you don't really need the dark series, its an expensive board made for charging the mountain. There are many wide boards that might suit you better that are also cheaper.

Give us your weight and what type of riding you do and we can recommend a few boards.

Last edited by djsaad1; 03-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

The dark series is an awsome board....

I had the MTX model and then the BTX c2 model...

I dont know what your riding style is, but is a bit on the stiff side and demanding board.

Its not as easy to go fun around as my NS SL , but is a super fast, responsive and powerfull board

I liked it a lot and i regret selling mine so cheap
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Give us your weight and what type of riding you do and we can recommend a few boards.
I currently weigh right around the 200 mark, and just do some recreational riding, but would maybe like to get back into doing some jumps and tricks again.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I currently weigh right around the 200 mark, and just do some recreational riding, but would maybe like to get back into doing some jumps and tricks again.
Nah, doesn't sound like the Dark Series is the right board for you.

There are a lot of wide boards out there, and depending on what you really want from your board, many others that will fit you better than the Dark Series.

Determine exactly what type of board you want, and your pricerange, and your options (if you are buying from a local shop) and then this forum can really help you narrow it down to the right one.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 161w sounds like a great fit for you size-wise. The Dark Series is a very versatile all mountain board that will do well in pretty much anything but the park. One of the guys in my crew picked one up for this season, and has been riding it about as much as his Bataleon.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
Determine exactly what type of board you want, and your pricerange, and your options (if you are buying from a local shop) and then this forum can really help you narrow it down to the right one.
Can you give me a list of types of boards and options to maybe help figure it out? I've really been out of the game for awhile so I'm not sure what's new out there or options... Pricerange really doesn't matter. If it's the right fit I'll buy it.

Right now I have a Burton Balance 156 with Burton Custom bindings... Pretty basic setup. But the toe catch is driving me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
The 161w sounds like a great fit for you size-wise. The Dark Series is a very versatile all mountain board that will do well in pretty much anything but the park. One of the guys in my crew picked one up for this season, and has been riding it about as much as his Bataleon.
Sounds like I have a contradiction here... Haha. I really do love the look of the Dark Series, but I know that doesn't mean it's right for me.

I really appreciate all the help I am receiving in here. This forum is probably the best one yet that I have received great help and replies from.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm riding a 2011 dark and love it. I have found it to be demanding to ride and I end up riding some of my softer boards when I just want ot mess around. Big mt, jumps and high speed riding it's great super stable and has good edge hold. I've found at slow speeds it feels unstable. The dark doesn't do rails and it's pretty stiff to butter
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have one, great for bombing, powder, big mountains. It's good in the park on the jumps. It's not very playful though. I prefer my Skatebanana in the park 100%. IF i could buy just one board it would be the Riders Choice or TRS (Skunk ape for you) in the Mervin line.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Can you give me a list of types of boards and options to maybe help figure it out? I've really been out of the game for awhile so I'm not sure what's new out there or options... Pricerange really doesn't matter. If it's the right fit I'll buy it.
Iíll try to give you a quick overview (not gonna do all your work for you), but reading up on the different types of boards offered by each company would be helpful if you really want to own your board shopping process (itís daunting I know).

Fist, decide what type of board you want for the type of riding you plan on doing. Do you want something soft and playful for doing tricks and messing around in the park? Do you want something versatile that can mess around in the park a little but also performs pretty well all over the mountain? Do you want a mostly all mountain board, but is still a little less aggressive and is fine for a little park? Do you want a hard charging board for big mountain riding?

Second, look at the camber types. Your old board is most likely a standard camber which is stable and holds carves better. A lot of the new boards have some time of revers camber witch is more surfy and less catchy. There are many hybrid cambers or flat cambers that try to give you the best of both worlds. Most likely you will end up getting some type of reverse/hybrid/flat camber, so figure out which one sounds the best for you.

Third, think of the types of features you want. If you want extra edge hold, you can look at magnatraction (Lib and GNU) or grib tech (Arbor) or other edge hold technologies. If you want more dampening (i.e. shock absorption that give you a smooth ride) look a Neversummer or K2 with harshmellow. Or maybe Triple Base Technology (Bataleon)Öyouíll have to look into that yourself.

Finally, here is a quick list of some of the companies you should check out:
Burton
Neversummer
Lib Tech
GNU
Capita
K2
Ride
Bataleon
Arbor
Nitro
Atomic