snowboard beginner needing advices! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default snowboard beginner needing advices!

hey guys so, this season i started snowboarding more and i bought a new snowboard along with boots and stuff. my snowboard is a rossignol district 156MW (i know its not really great) along with burton invader boots. im riding goofy (i think , right foot in front at 15 degree angle).

i would like to get some advices to improve my snowboarding technique, i have a difficulty to ride flat, my board always ends up turning on itself and making me fall when the side of my board bites the snow. also if you guys have any tips of what tricks i should start to try doing first it would be nice, at my ski resort theres like beginner "small" big-air i could practice on but i just dont know which tricks to start with and how to do them

also, i have not waxed my snowboard since i bought it new i thought the wax job on it would be ok but ive read a few threads on here and from what i gathered, the wax job from manufacturers is not good at all. and i did some rails with my board since whene and ive notice some scatches on my snow, is it because the wax job isnt properly done (first time trying out stuff on rails) i live in quebec and near where i live theres not really any snowboard shops other than a crappy one in a ski/snowboarding resort so i was wondering if waxing my own snow was worth it in the long run. ive also checked on websites for wax kits nd stuff, i had this kit put out but it costed like 105$ USD but when i arrived to see how much the shipping fees would be it was outrageous , it was like 70$ shipping for a 100$ purchase :s i read a bit on the amazon wiki-type thing and i think this was due to some agreements between canada and us concerning certain brands and that it why they charge that much? the kit was : http://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Deluxe-...ductPromotions
Amazon.com: Hertel "Super Hot Sauce" All Temperature Ski and Snowboard Wax, 3/4 lb Brick: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: SKS Ski Snowboard Wax Iron: Sports & Outdoors

i tried looking on these forums for similar thread but the only i could find (using google) were pretty outdated and most of the linked kits/website were not existing anymore

any helps you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

~a noob rider~
SnowboardStarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums.

As for riding advice: Do yourself a favor and invest in snowboard lessons. Instructors can see directly what you're doing wrong and teach you how to avoid mistakes. Once you get used to a wrong technique, it is very difficult to lose it. You will enjoy snowboarding so much more!

As for waxing: I wouldn't worry about that too much. Waxing is important when you go faster but in the beginner's stage it doesn't make that much of a difference. If your board is really dry, have it waxed at the resort. It's usually not as perfect as a hand wax but in your case I'd rather save than money for lessons.

Cheers
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's definitely a money saver in the long run to wax and tune your own board, and it's really easy to do. The links in this thread have great do it yourself info on board maintenance: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...ce-videos.html If you don't like those, there's a quite a few board tuning / waxing vids on you tube. There's other threads in the tips, tricks & instructors section with more specifics on waxing and tuning as well (like plexiglass vs. metal scrapers, etc.).

I personally use the Dakine Super Tune Kit, gave me everything I needed. For wax I can't say how the Hertel performs, as I haven't used it yet, but I've been working my way through trying every brand to see what I like best. Dakine, Swix, and Toko have been ok. My favorite so far has been a combo of One Ball Jay 4WD Cold and Black Magic Graphite. I'll probably move onto Hertel or some other brand after those bars are used up. I favor supporting your local shop even if it's priced a bit more than online retailers, but I would think there's has to be some online Canadian retailers so you don't have the import shipping high cost, if you go that route.

I don't have many tricks down yet, but I started doing straight airs on small to medium jumps (throwing in shifty's and 180s occasionally the last couple times out) and 50-50 boxes this season. Most of this season I've focused on starting to do true carving, riding switch and in the trees (when there's enough snow). But trick progression is entirely up to what you want to do. There's a lot of resources out there to help you learn most everything- Snowboard Addiction covers a ton freestyle tricks (they have a few up on youtube as well), and the tips, tricks & instructors section in this forum has a ton of useful info as well. Post a vid of your riding in that section and people will give you tips on what to work on, how to do things. etc.

And yes, right foot in front is goofy.
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Welcome to the forums.

As for riding advice: Do yourself a favor and invest in snowboard lessons. Instructors can see directly what you're doing wrong and teach you how to avoid mistakes. Once you get used to a wrong technique, it is very difficult to lose it. You will enjoy snowboarding so much more!

As for waxing: I wouldn't worry about that too much. Waxing is important when you go faster but in the beginner's stage it doesn't make that much of a difference. If your board is really dry, have it waxed at the resort. It's usually not as perfect as a hand wax but in your case I'd rather save than money for lessons.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombaco View Post
It's definitely a money saver in the long run to wax and tune your own board, and it's really easy to do. The links in this thread have great do it yourself info on board maintenance: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...ce-videos.html If you don't like those, there's a quite a few board tuning / waxing vids on you tube. There's other threads in the tips, tricks & instructors section with more specifics on waxing and tuning as well (like plexiglass vs. metal scrapers, etc.).

I personally use the Dakine Super Tune Kit, gave me everything I needed. For wax I can't say how the Hertel performs, as I haven't used it yet, but I've been working my way through trying every brand to see what I like best. Dakine, Swix, and Toko have been ok. My favorite so far has been a combo of One Ball Jay 4WD Cold and Black Magic Graphite. I'll probably move onto Hertel or some other brand after those bars are used up. I favor supporting your local shop even if it's priced a bit more than online retailers, but I would think there's has to be some online Canadian retailers so you don't have the import shipping high cost, if you go that route.

I don't have many tricks down yet, but I started doing straight airs on small to medium jumps (throwing in shifty's and 180s occasionally the last couple times out) and 50-50 boxes this season. Most of this season I've focused on starting to do true carving, riding switch and in the trees (when there's enough snow). But trick progression is entirely up to what you want to do. There's a lot of resources out there to help you learn most everything- Snowboard Addiction covers a ton freestyle tricks (they have a few up on youtube as well), and the tips, tricks & instructors section in this forum has a ton of useful info as well. Post a vid of your riding in that section and people will give you tips on what to work on, how to do things. etc.

And yes, right foot in front is goofy.
thanks for the answers, i guess im not THAT much of a beginner but im still really not good, i can do slaloms ok and stuff its just when i wanna get some speed to do small tricks i have difficulty staying in a straight line, i also started recently doing straight airs on small jumps too. id get the dakine kit but the only place ive found it was on amazon and any seller would charge me like 50$ for shipping for a 50$ purchase :x when i started snowboarding my cousin was an snowboard instructor at my ski resort and she gave me free lessons for the basics, like slaloming and stuff
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

My wax kit consists of a $10 iron from a drugstore, some wax, a scraper and a brush. That's pretty much all you need, unless you're into tuning and such. You can get all that from your local stores for around $30 and you don't need to worry about shipping.

If you really want a kit, look here for Canadian online stores: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...e-tailers.html
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can go to any SKI shop or discount outlet to buy iron scraper and wax. I am sure empire sells them online and i think they are based in quebec. I am not sure what you mean by "scratches on snow" but i am sure its not wax related.
Quebec's so icy you still go fast even without wax. And rub on wax works pretty good on extruded bases.

As far as riding flat is that it is difficult initially but you will get hang of it. Using higher angle on front binding helps so try 18 degree on the front binding. And ride more relaxed it will help you with not catching an edge.
Riding flat is really necessary to hit jumps rails etc so keep working on it
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks very much guys! will def try that higher angle thing because when i arrive on "small" big airs, due to me not being good at flat riding, i arrive at a slight angle on the jump :/ and as for wax, does any type of wax work for me as im not very experienced and might not get benefits from higher end grades of wax like pros like you guys would get?

and also, watching snowolf wax videos, he advised to start out with a plastic scraper as its more forgiving than metal ones, does any square pieces of pleksiglass work fine ? soz for all them questions :x

Last edited by SnowboardStarte; 03-09-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd suggest to start with an all-temp wax. I've only recently gone to temp specific wax. The brand could be up to you. I wasn't sure which brand I wanted to use, that's why I'm trying them all out. I get a small block, use it, then move to a different brand. Eventually I'll find one I like the best. Besides most of the small blocks, regardless of brand, are in the $8 - $10 range

Any plexiglass will work. Metal scrapers are easier and will reduce the effort of scraping. I used my plexiglass scraper the first 5 or 6 wax jobs, til I got comfortable with waxing boards, then moved to the metal.

Flatbase riding will come along with more practice too. I wasn't able to do it very well until I really got a good feel for my board, and how to apply pressure in various ways for the things I was trying to do.
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

i would stick to plastic scraper. Metal ones removes base material which you dont want to do.
Go to swix.com they have alot of GOOD videos that shows you to sharpen and wax PROPERLY.
Most of the videos on youtube is completely crap. Stick to how swix does it. They have different levels of waxing from recreational to racers. You can use good rub ons/ spray ons on your base(extruded). There isnt a huge difference between rub ons and hot waxing on EXTRUDED bases. On sintered bases there is a huge difference but i am pretty sure you have extruded bases. And get waxing iron. DO NOT USE CLOTHING IRON!!!! it is very easy to burn your bases as well as loosening up resins that are used to hold different layers of snowboard and inserts. And make sure you remove bindings everytime you wax.
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdeo View Post
i would stick to plastic scraper. Metal ones removes base material which you dont want to do.
Go to swix.com they have alot of GOOD videos that shows you to sharpen and wax PROPERLY.
Most of the videos on youtube is completely crap. Stick to how swix does it. They have different levels of waxing from recreational to racers. You can use good rub ons/ spray ons on your base(extruded). There isnt a huge difference between rub ons and hot waxing on EXTRUDED bases. On sintered bases there is a huge difference but i am pretty sure you have extruded bases. And get waxing iron. DO NOT USE CLOTHING IRON!!!! it is very easy to burn your bases as well as loosening up resins that are used to hold different layers of snowboard and inserts. And make sure you remove bindings everytime you wax.
ive watched snowolfs 4 vids, i though they were good? explaining everything in details and all