Finally Upgrading Boards - All Mountain Shredder - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finally Upgrading Boards - All Mountain Shredder

I've been reading this forum for a while, off and on, but never had a profile until now. I figured I'd post a question since I am finally getting around to upgrading my board and I'm not real familiar with all the new boards/technologies.

About me - I'm 6'2'' 205 lbs with size 11.5 boots. I'm a pretty experienced rider that does mostly all mountain riding (i.e. powder, trees, drops, tree jibs). I just enjoy carving up the mountain and looking for powder stashes and things to jump off of. I do go into the park when there is no soft snow, but I mostly just hit the jumps with straight airs and grabs.

I am currently riding an older Custom X (camber, with none of the fancy stuff boards now have). I am looking for a fairly aggressive board that shreds really well and will also do well in powder.

I am thinking mid-wide or wide in the 160-164 range.

Here are the boards that have peaked my interest the most so far.

Neversummer Heritage X
Neversummer Legacy
Lib Tech T-Rice
Lib Tech Dark Series
Ride Highlife
K2 Slayblade
K2 Turbo Dream

Iím sure there are a ton of other options, but those are the board that have stood out so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
SnowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDawg View Post
I've been reading this forum for a while, off and on, but never had a profile until now. I figured I'd post a question since I am finally getting around to upgrading my board and I'm not real familiar with all the new boards/technologies.

About me - I'm 6'2'' 205 lbs with size 11.5 boots. I'm a pretty experienced rider that does mostly all mountain riding (i.e. powder, trees, drops, tree jibs). I just enjoy carving up the mountain and looking for powder stashes and things to jump off of. I do go into the park when there is no soft snow, but I mostly just hit the jumps with straight airs and grabs.

I am currently riding an older Custom X (camber, with none of the fancy stuff boards now have). I am looking for a fairly aggressive board that shreds really well and will also do well in powder.

Neversummer Heritage X
Neversummer Legacy
Lib Tech T-Rice
Lib Tech Dark Series
Ride Highlife
K2 Slayblade
K2 Turbo Dream

Iím sure there are a ton of other options, but those are the board that have stood out so far.

I own a 2010 T. Rice, and I gotta tell you, you cannot go wrong with that board! It can handle anything you throw at it, including knee deep pow. I have a 157, and took it out to Revelstoke for a month about 2 weeks ago. Yeah, it was a little short and burned my legs up in the deep stuff, but it still held its own.

A little more length, and I wouldn't have been persuaded to get myself a new stup for super deep days:

boards1.jpg
crow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a K2 Slayblade and Turbo Dream. Slayblade is my everyday board, love it. Turbo Dream is the powder board. Haven't rode my new one but from what I remember of the one I warrantied last year it was very fun. Don't know if I would call it aggressive though. The Slayblade is definitely aggressive though. Its stiff, fast, light, and just dependable.
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

Neversummer Heritage X
Neversummer Legacy
Lib Tech T-Rice
Lib Tech Dark Series
Ride Highlife
K2 Slayblade
K2 Turbo Dream

I've already given my 2 cents on the T. Rice, but have you considered Salomon? The XLT and the Grip seem to be right up your alley...
crow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

All your choice seems solid except K2s (because i've never ridden them and know nothing about them. not because they are bad). I think it's going to come down to prices. I would lean towards T Rice as long as yo u are ok with MTX because i think you can get most discount on them. Never summer seems to be never really on discount. Dark series is harder to find especially in wide.

I think Ride and K2 may have lower retail price but end of the year sale closes the price gap. Again i dont have any first hand experience with K2 but the others (ride libtech neversummer) are all great choices. Just look around for best pricing and possibly the graphics you like.

Now back to MTX, personally i dont like them. When i first saw it, i thouhgt it was going to be great on icy conditions. And it is great on ice, problem is when it is not icy it digs in snow too much (not catch) and wavy side cut drags on snow. It does not feel smooth. Not enough to be jerky but enough to feel like there is gust of swirling wind around you (slowing you down and disappearing etc).
Maybe its because i am heavier so i put alot more pressure on the edge than someonw weighting 150lbs. I would like to try jamie lynn model since it is more mellow on them. I am heavier than you so it may be ok with you, but i would definitely try it before you buy. I personally prefer frost bite/ pressure distribution edge on custom x (not sure if yours have it).
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Highlife or a Salomon Mans Board.

The Highlife blended high speed stability, edge quickness, dampness, and liveliness better than anything else I've ridden. It's unstoppable and compliant.

The Mans Board is just that, a manly board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should check out the YES Pick your Line or the Big City. In my opinion, its camber profile fits your needs perfectly. It has great float in pow and can handle anything you throw at it. I have a YES Great Boobs and it's by far my favorite board, even over my Heritage and Proto.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Looks like I need to do a little more research...haven't even hear of Yes snowboards until now...must be new in the last several years.
SnowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Just playing the devils advocate here. What's wrong with your Custom X? What about a new one? I'm riding the metal core, crazy brother of the Custom X (the T7) and it's stiffer and thinner, and I still kill it in powder and all over the mountain. You sound like you ride similar stuff to me, about 50% groomers, 40% powder, trees, etc. and 10% jumps with some big air old school grabs.

In the materials science end of things, boards actually haven't gone that crazy. Sure they've got carbon fibre weaves/threads to stiffen things up while keeping it light, and the bases have got even better, but most boards are still wood cored planks with a PTex base and scarp metal edges on the sides. All the other "technology" seems like fluff to me.

Can you get out to a demo day at your local mountain? Not sure about the other companies but Burton lists the schedule on their site, and you could try a new Custom X or whatever you wanted before having to make a decision. You might find that your board is actually what you really want to ride for a longer period of time (I got 15 years out of my last board).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gotta say, all that fancy "fluff" mentioned does actually make riding more fun for me. Don't discount it.
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote