Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   will i be able to jump on this board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/47583-will-i-able-jump-board.html)

Lcdel 03-09-2012 03:40 PM

will i be able to jump on this board?

so i'm going to buy a new board for next season, and i was pretty set on the Proto CT 152 until i demo'd it.
the board was the right size, flex, feel and width for me, but i'm a girl so compared to the girl's freestyle board i demo'd (the infinity, didn't like it..felt unstable and stiff) it was quite a bit heavier. I'm already on a guy's board which is even heavier than the proto so normally it wouldn't be a problem, but i want to start learning freestyle, jumps, and a little jibbing and i'm worried that the proto'll be too heavy for me to get good air on, and even if i do, to do boardgrabs and all that fun stuff.
am i worrying over nothing, or should i look for a different board?

as a side note, im looking more for guy's boards unless i find a GREAT girl's board because i have size 10 boots (they say 9+ is big for a girl's board) and IMO they don't feel as flimsy, so im willing to sacrifice a little edge-to-edge speed :dunno: not to mention it broadens my options

snowklinger 03-09-2012 03:47 PM

Whether or not the board fits you is a question, but if theres one thing that the Proto most certainly IS, is a jump board.

Lcdel 03-09-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowklinger (Post 493974)
Whether or not the board fits you is a question, but if theres one thing that the Proto most certainly IS, is a jump board.

so i hear, but my question was is jumping (tricks included) with a heavier board an issue?

snowklinger 03-09-2012 03:54 PM

The proto is a comparatively light board.

And I'm not saying its the lightest, there are lighter boards, but its on the light side for sure, and for 2011/12 it was REMARKABLY light for a NeverSummer.

So yea if you have some 20 year old thing that weighs 10lbs more sure, but not this board.

Lcdel 03-09-2012 03:56 PM

not when compared to a girl's board, so not for me
i mean take the weight of another heavier NS board like the evo or SL and make the Proto feel like that--would it be hard to jump? because that's more what it feels like to me which is why i'm worried
(and i don't mean it feels the SAME as those, i mean that what would be light for you is heavier for me)

snowklinger 03-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcdel (Post 493983)
not when compared to a girl's board, so not for me

good point, probably wont work for you.

SnowMotion 03-09-2012 04:03 PM

Girl boards are made different in many ways not just weight. Also a lighter board is much more maneuverable especially for tricks. Check out the Pandora by never summer my wife loves it for spins.

earl_je 03-09-2012 04:04 PM

Proto is a really light board.. a friend has it with TT30s and man is it light

snowklinger 03-09-2012 04:09 PM

Also, do u mean 152?

poutanen 03-09-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcdel (Post 493972)
am i worrying over nothing, or should i look for a different board?

Yes. No.

:D

Very rarely are you actually lifting the weight of the board with your legs. Going off a kicker launches you up, and when you go to do a grab you're not lifting the board up to you, you're compressing in the air (ie. your head and shoulders actually go down, lower legs and board come up). I understand a lighter board will potentially be easier for spins, but we're talking marginal differences here. I'd get something that fits well that you ride comfortably on.

I would take a super poppy slightly heavier board, than a wet noodle light board any day.