effective edge compared to length for a non-pow board - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ode

well i wear size 12 boots, but they are salomon synapse which seem to be uncommonly long for the size so i was looking at wides. im looking to get a centered stance twin to start getting into freestyle, mostly jumps with some buttering and probably only a little jibbing but while retaining some all mountain so i can still take it up the mountain with my buddies. my antic seems to handle the mountain well and i can set the stance back if we are ducking ropes. im looking for a more playful board to mess around on and take into the park when i feel that urge. you think the heritage will be able to manage this? any others i should look into as well?
Ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
well i wear size 12 boots, but they are salomon synapse which seem to be uncommonly long for the size so i was looking at wides. im looking to get a centered stance twin to start getting into freestyle, mostly jumps with some buttering and probably only a little jibbing but while retaining some all mountain so i can still take it up the mountain with my buddies. my antic seems to handle the mountain well and i can set the stance back if we are ducking ropes. im looking for a more playful board to mess around on and take into the park when i feel that urge. you think the heritage will be able to manage this? any others i should look into as well?
Both the legacy and heritage x are good options with the heritage being a little stiffer and better outside of the park. The legacy will be a bit more playful for butters and jibs.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

6'1", 225-230 lbs, size 12 (Burton, with shrink tech.) here.

I ride a Proto CTX (wide) 160. Great for freestyle, just enough flex for my taste, but stable and fast enough to bomb groomers.

With the shrink tech, the board is actually a bit wide for me (could have gone regular width), but should be just perfect for a larger 12.

Didn't get to ride much powder though, but I did ride 6-7" heavy snow without problems.

Great do-it-all board.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would also look into Legacy. I think its directional twin. directional shape but twin flex.
It will b little more freestyle than heritage according to neversummer website(i've never ridden heritage).

Heritage has same flex and dampness as Premier f1 (which i have ridden) according to never summer website.
I think premier might be too damp as freestyle board, but it cut thru everything. I personally thought premier was little too damp. I still preferred to feel more on what the board was doing. Having said that premier was very easy on my feet (did not tire my feet at all).

I also briefly tried raptor. It felt more like a pow board (very raised up nose). It was ok at carving but i think cambered board is better for that (does not FEEL as smooth as cambered board). So unless you are riding alot of powder this this may not be a board for you.

With size 12 you would be fine on never summer's wide board. I weigh about same as you and also "hoping" to drop some pounds before next winter.

As far as effective edge goes... It is not just about the effective edge or board length. Flex and dampness also comes into play. you can go faster on stiffer board. and same is true for damp board. I think damp board holds the edge better,( making the edge more effective?)

And at my(your) weight none of the never summer boards are going to be too stiff. But i did feel premier was too damp. But i think it's more of a personal preference thing. Heritage sounds more like a premier with freestyle shape (according to never summer's flex and dampness scale). Personally i preferred dampness of raptor and legacy over premier. They were still damp but you could tell what kind of surface you are on where with premier it was hard to tell (by sound you could tell when you were on ice).

I personally would recommend Legacy as a freestyle board. But heritage would also be a good choice (really splitting hairs). I think Heritage may also be little harder to find so you may get a better deal on Legacy.
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote