Need some help getting a board - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
[Ian]

So what knid of board should I get? I want to get more into park riding but I still want to be able to carve down the mountain. i'm thinking a pakr board or an all-mountain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ian] View Post
So what knid of board should I get? I want to get more into park riding but I still want to be able to carve down the mountain. i'm thinking a pakr board or an all-mountain.
When you say park riding do you mean rails and boxes, or just hitting some jumps? Also, when you mean carve down the mountain, do you mean really steep terrain and deep powder or just riding down the normal groomed runs really fast?

The way I see it, there are park boards, freestyle boards, all mountain boards, freeride boards, and then alpine/racing boards. It sounds like you are looking for either a freestyle or all mountain. You probably don't want to go with the extreme ends of the spectrum with a pure park board or pure freeride board since you want a little of everything.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
[Ian]

Park meaning jumps, boxes, rails, stuff like that and carve meaning grromed runs, powder, whatever the coinditions are that day.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Park meaning jumps, boxes, rails, stuff like that and carve meaning grromed runs, powder, whatever the coinditions are that day.
If you are going to hit some rails and boxes, but don't want to spend the whole day in the park, your best bet is a freestyle board...just avoid anything that says it is specifically designed for the park, or jibbing. Those boards might be more flexy than you want for carving.

Some of the boards I listed earlier fit this category...GNU 11up, Ride Dose or Decade-wide (not as freestyle), K2 After Black, Burton Royale and I'd add the Rome Slash. These are a few wide or mid-wide freestyle boards that you may want to look at. Some are more freestyle focused that other...just a start.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
[Ian]

I've been looking at the Rome slahs and boarderaholic recommended it to me as well. I talked to her and she said ti would be a good board for me. The only thing is its labled as a park board so I'm not sure if I shoudl get it.

Edit: right now i'm liking the burton royale and the ride slash. The burton looks like the board I am looking for and it's not too wide. The slash looks nice as well and not super flexy but its a lot wider than the royale. is there any way I could figure out what waist width I need?

Last edited by [Ian]; 03-21-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
is there any way I could figure out what waist width I need?
It depends on how big your boots are. Some 11.5 boots are bigger than others. You could find a board shop near by and see how your boots fit on different boards.

For the most part, with the type of riding you are probably doing right now, a mid-wide would probably be okay. Although who knows how big your feet will be next year if you are still groing
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
[Ian]

I'm thinking I could get away with a mid wide. I'm gonna get some saloman boots as well which will probably be a size 12 when I get them since i will be getting them closer to snowboarding season.