Help a noob spend some $$ please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Help a noob spend some $$ please

Hello everyone! I know this is my first post, but I have been reading the boards a lot this past season. I am in need of a little advice and hope you guys can help me out. I'll start with a little background info. This is my first season riding.... ever. No previous ski or snowboard experience outside of this year. I got a season pass to the local hill through work so I had no choice but to try something. So I traded in my mountain bike at a local shop and got a snowboard, bindings and boots. So my season started with the following used gear:

Capita Spacemaster 159 Board
Ride SPI Bindings
GNU Boots

I took a few lessons in my first few days so I knew what I was doing and before you knew it I was flying down the hill having a great time. I decided that my boots were a little too worn and grabbed some Burton Motos on sale...... omg new boots are heaven. Its like wearing 20 kittens on each of your feet. Anyways since my wife realizes that this is something I am going to stick with I have the aproval to buy some new gear for next season. Let me say now what I will not really be working with a budget as I will not be able to take much of my vaction time this year so I'll have a fair amount of $$ to play with. Also with that being said I don't want to spend for the sake of spending and am going to try to find deals on the gear I want when I can.

I believe that I have already fallen into a style of riding and I would like to purchase for that style. My local hill sees a lot of fresh snow through out the year and there is plenty of easily accessible glades and fresh powder to ride. I have been primarily seeking out the powder, dropping into tree lines and just trying to find good lines. I have no desire to be in the park at all, just not my style. I only ride switch when its absolutely necessary. I have been only hitting groomers when I have to get back to the lift. I am 29, 5'11, 163lbs, size 9 boot. I don't mind purchasing out of my skill level some as I don't mind learning to ride the board and it may be awhile before I can purchase again. I have come up with a list of boards that I think will work, but since I am a noob I would really like some input from people who know what they are talking about. I am also in need of choosing the length of the board please.

Neversummer - Raptor
Yes - Pick Your Line
K2 - Gyrator

Thank you to anyone and everyone that takes the time to read this post!
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ok so i wasn't sure but i didn't know that GNU made boots what year are they from? And I'm glad you now have some that feel good it makes a difference. Also you will get a lot of love for NS here so I'm sure someone with some experience may chime in but i wanted to say there are so many options for boards suited to what you ride. I would look some more into Lib Tech T Rice or TRS, GNU Riders Choice, Ride Highlife or Berzerker, maybe even Rome Anthem.

There really isn't a straight up answer for you it will really depend on what you like the feel of and look of, most new boards have similar options of tech and cambers so its a good bet you will be able to get a great board from most companies. Try and do some demos so you actually have experience on the boards yourself and are not going on an internet forums guys opinion.

As for board length again it sort of comes down to a guide really of what size is suited and what size you prefer to ride. I would start around 153 and 155 depending on pow, terrain, style etc etc that you will be doing.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor coda, Signal omni, NS Cobra are some more boards to look at. Also with the end of the season coming up and all the sales you maybe able to get more then you think.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

You have a couple of choices for buying equipment. You can pick something up in the end-of-season sales that are happening right now, or you can wait until the last-years-clearance sales in the fall, or you can wait until the fall and buy the new stuff retail. I bought my first equipment in mid-feb my first year, and got about 50% off in total. Might be a bit late for you now if you want some selection (unless you're going mail-order).

I'll make one prediction though, and I'll bet you real money I'm right. No matter what you buy, you'll want something else in a year or two. That just goes with the territory, unless you've got an unreasonable level of self-control.

But, whatever. Welcome to the addiction, and kiss your ass goodbye!

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

My vote goes to the Pick your line. The camber profile works better in pow than the Never Summer's. And it's an overall amazing board (I'm kind of a YES fanboy though).
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
ok so i wasn't sure but i didn't know that GNU made boots what year are they from? And I'm glad you now have some that feel good it makes a difference. Also you will get a lot of love for NS here so I'm sure someone with some experience may chime in but i wanted to say there are so many options for boards suited to what you ride. I would look some more into Lib Tech T Rice or TRS, GNU Riders Choice, Ride Highlife or Berzerker, maybe even Rome Anthem.

There really isn't a straight up answer for you it will really depend on what you like the feel of and look of, most new boards have similar options of tech and cambers so its a good bet you will be able to get a great board from most companies. Try and do some demos so you actually have experience on the boards yourself and are not going on an internet forums guys opinion.

As for board length again it sort of comes down to a guide really of what size is suited and what size you prefer to ride. I would start around 153 and 155 depending on pow, terrain, style etc etc that you will be doing.
The GNU boots are called Hyak.... could not find a year. I suspect older than I should have been riding for sure. I have looked at the Lib Tech boards, but to be honest the top sheets are just awful looking....lol. Also I have glanced through the Ride boards and I did like what I saw, I also like the Ride Capo bindings. Lastly with the hill near me being a smaller hill its doubtful I'll get to demo anything ever... =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by readimag View Post
Arbor coda, Signal omni, NS Cobra are some more boards to look at. Also with the end of the season coming up and all the sales you maybe able to get more then you think.
Thanks for the heads up on the Cobra. I just googled it as I had no idea what it was. Also the Arbor's have also been on my radar for sure, plus they look sick!

lol..... I was hoping to narrow, not expand my list of choices.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote