Size? Ride Machete 155cm / 190 lbs rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Size? Ride Machete 155cm / 190 lbs rider

Hi there,

I went to our local boardshop and bought myself a new board, bindings and boots. My first board was a Elan Eragon 160cm wide with 13US boots. I rode that board for the past 3 years and i wanted something new. I'm starting to get a bit into freestyle / jumping. I landed my first 360's and getting higher jumps every time I ride.

What do I want? A fun/playful board what will do it all and help my push my level on freestyle tricks. But I will also be able to run good speeds on the slope. The guy in the shop seemed like a someone with a lot of knowledge. After an hour or so, he advised me the Machete 155cm (NO wide board) with Union Force bindings and Burton Hail Boots size 10.5 (how can my Nitro's be 13???). As they reduce the footprint by one full size, the footprint will be somewhere near size 9.5 so I don't need a wide board anymore

Bottom line:
- Machete 155cm
- Union Force (they would flex better with the board than the default ride bindings)
- 190 lbs / 6.1 feet rider

Question? I'm really happy with it, but when i look on the net, my board seems really small? Especially when I look at the Ride website. Will I be good with this board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0210.jpg (117.8 KB, 82 views)
timpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To small

You should be in the low 60's or at shortest, high 5's

If you can take it back and trade for a longer one, you should

Why would you go with such a drastic length change over the board you used to ride? Did it seem to long? Did the guy selling you this board say it was magical and would ride like your 60?
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm wondering how the hell you can go from a 13 to a 10.5 in the boots well before I'm wonder how to go from 160 to 155. I think 155 is probably too small too but WOW that's a big change in the boot size.

You tried them on right?
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
To small

You should be in the low 60's or at shortest, high 5's

If you can take it back and trade for a longer one, you should

Why would you go with such a drastic length change over the board you used to ride? Did it seem to long? Did the guy selling you this board say it was magical and would ride like your 60?
To be honest, my first board felt a little big. So a smaller board and a 'bit' shorter board seemed oke. But this bit smaller board looks a 'lot' smaller when I'm doing some research on the net. I did not really have a budget and wanter some advice in the shop. Thereforce i did not bought it on the net and got it from the local shop. That guy really seemed like someone who does have some knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasschopper View Post
I'm wondering how the hell you can go from a 13 to a 10.5 in the boots well before I'm wonder how to go from 160 to 155. I think 155 is probably too small too but WOW that's a big change in the boot size.

You tried them on right?
Lol yea, I tried them on. I have the same with running shoes, they are 13US and my 'normal' shoes are all 10.5.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

He may have knowledge but it's the end of the season and he needs to clear out stock

The difference between a 60w and a 55 is huge
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm 160 lbs and ride the 155. great board all around. I mainly like to bomb the runs, getting into jumps and riding switch. Let me tell you that I love the ride of this board. But yea, seems like he gave you a board too small...at least go w/ the 158? I think they have that size. Otherwise he was just trying to sell you end of year stock.

155 if you want the machete as a park board? but I don't ride park, so can't really be for sure...
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

You're well out of the weight range for that board. It doesn't mean you can't ride it, but there are a couple of issues you'll have being on something so small. The first is that you're never going to bring it up to a speed you had on your older deck and riding it in powder isn't going to be much fun at all. 2nd, being out of the weight range you're going to put more stress on the deck and there is more of a possibility to breaking the board than a 160 or 162.

The Machete is also pretty narrow and the biggest boot I suggest putting on it is a 10.5 w/a reduced footprint. If you have a 10.5 or bigger with any kind of reduced footprint tech it is usually wise to go wide unless you have a crazy wide stance with ducked out angles.
Mr_Tidbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply's. Not really what I was hoping for. Best thing seems to change the board. I hope I will still be able to as I leave on thursday for my trip (and work all day)...

Suggestions are more than welcome. About size, comparable boards (all mountain freestyle).

I will keep you guys up to date.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

i rode my first 3 year with a 156 and im 6 feet tall and 200 pound. The guy keep telling me it was perfect for me. Just to show you that sometime they just want you to buy their stuff.
mtl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl20 View Post
i rode my first 3 year with a 156 and im 6 feet tall and 200 pound. The guy keep telling me it was perfect for me. Just to show you that sometime they just want you to buy their stuff.
Hmm, thats terrible. I think these are the kind of reply's I needed to convince myself and return it (if I can). On the other hand I hope I can find my self a replacement within 3 days!