I want a fun jack of all trades..... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I want a fun jack of all trades.....

I've been lurking this forum for a couple month's now. There is a lot of useful information on this website and most of you seem like you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

I am 5 feet 9 inches tall, my weight fluctuates between 150lbs and 155lbs. Most of my riding will be done in Southern California, along with the occasional trip to Mammoth. I'd say I'm at about intermediate level, been spending a bit of time practicing riding switch. I like hitting every part of the mountain, nonstop from open til close. Been getting into park a bit more recently, but as of right now my favorite type of run would include hitting a black, carving most of the way and bombing the last third of it. On the way down I'd hit a few kickers and a couple boxes, no rails for me (yet).

I currently ride a ten year old Burton Custom 156 with 2009 Cartel's (size M), and 2009(?) Burton Ozone boots (size 10). I will be keeping my current bindings/boots and putting them on my new board. My current camber board is nice but I am especially interested in lib tech/gnu C2BTX and Never Summer RC. As most of you know SoCal condition's aren't always perfect so Magnetraction and Vario Grip tech seem like attractive options to me. I also have a eleven year old Gnu Altered Genetics 159 that I will keep for powder days when coverage is thin (beater).

Board's I'm interested in are

Lib tech

TRS
T. Rice Pro
Banana Magic

Gnu

Rider's Choice
Danny Kass
Impossible Series

Never Summer

Proto CT
SL
Heritage

Apart from these I've also been recommended the Ride berzerker, DC Ply, and Rossignol One Magtek.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, and would really appreciate some advice from riders who have tried any of these boards.
fondles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Take a look at the SL for sure. Also, the Arbor Coda. If you like full rocker, this is the way to go. If you prefer R&C and want an all mountain freestyle stick, go with the SL. My $0.02.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

It surprises how many people underrate Nitro. Check out the Nitro Team Gullwing. Fantastic all rounder board and there are plenty of testimonies to that if you check out some reviews. It's also a bit cheaper then most of the boards you listed. I've ridden a fair few boards and I have yet to find a board that bombs faster than the Gullwing. It is has an unfairly fast base. Very durable board compared to Lib Tech/Burton. Fairly close to Never Summer actually. Also quite a light board and has very nice pop to it. The graphics are also amazing but that's nothing new from Nitro.

But if you're insistent on the ones you've listed, I would definitely go for the Riders Choice or Proto CT. Just up to you whether you wanna dish out the cash.
Khao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for taking so long to get back, but thanks you very much for the advice cheese and khao. I have narrowed it down to either buying a NS SL in size 153 or 155, or a lib tech banana magic in size 154. Which would be better for carving? Also is $377 for a 2012 NS SL a good deal?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you can find a 2012 NS SL for $377, stop searching. You've found your board.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok awesome that's what I wanted to hear! Now, to get a 153 or a 155? Based on their size chart is says I should get a 155, but I've read many threads with people suggesting riding these board's shorter.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondles View Post
Ok awesome that's what I wanted to hear! Now, to get a 153 or a 155? Based on their size chart is says I should get a 155, but I've read many threads with people suggesting riding these board's shorter.
153 will be your size.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

153 will probably be more versatile, 155 faster.

I was 145 and riding a 151. I may pick up another one next season, it was a fun board.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondles View Post
Sorry for taking so long to get back, but thanks you very much for the advice cheese and khao. I have narrowed it down to either buying a NS SL in size 153 or 155, or a lib tech banana magic in size 154. Which would be better for carving? Also is $377 for a 2012 NS SL a good deal?
Just out of interest, where are you picking up an SL for $377?

I'm not going to steal it or anything...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

i picked up 2012 ns sl 153 for 368 shipped from evo by price matching, too bad it was the last one
tonez is offline   Reply With Quote