So my Arbor Coda is toast looking for something simular with a bit more performance - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So my Arbor Coda is toast looking for something simular with a bit more performance

Due to the brutality of this snow season(lack thereof) my Arbor Coda 157 is toast. (the most fragile board I ever owned)
I'm 165 6ft.(probably 175 with all my gear on) I currently have an offer to get the Rome Mod 2012 wide rocker (158) at 55% off for $250 which seems like a great deal.
I tested the board in non powder conditions...and while I feel it makes me charge a bit faster, it seems a lot stiffer and just doesn't have that pop that I'm use to. Cornering at high speeds on icy conditions also seemed to have way less grip as I almost wiped out on a corner I usually take with no problems. The guy told me it's made by the same factory as the coda and it seems to have nice (similar) tech plus a good price.

Tested a Burton Flying V as well and was not that impressed with it at all.
Looking for a replacement for my Arbor, what board would give me the pop and flex of the coda 7 the grip.

Should I give the Rome Mod rocker (wide) a chance on powder conditions, the price is enticing... not sure if the 158 is a bit big either..
Maybe another arbor?
Would like to hear your guys opinions.
snowbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
mjd

what exactly is wrong with the board?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Guys and idiot, Rome is either made in China or Taiwan if I remember right, and as far as I know that only use one factory. Arbor is Elan in Austria.

Have you thought of looking at the Flow Drifter? Same general category as the Coda and so far Flows have the best grip for anything that still utilizes a standard "no tech" style sidecut.

Maybe a Nitro Pro One off series. The Dennis McNett ones. The Kooley for me was a really solid do everything ride.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
what exactly is wrong with the board?

It's missing a 3inch piece of edge right at heel edge, the shop I took it too decided to ptex the thing instead of doing a proper repair... its right where the Arbors griptech is. I took it to 3 shops they quoted me $70-100 and said it's not really worth repairing, it may last 3 days- 3months but not going to hold, because it's such a stress point. Told me I'd be buying time.

So $100 bucks for a repair that may not last...vs a $250 on new rome board sounds semi worth it.
That arbor coda was brand new in late November.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Guys and idiot, Rome is either made in China or Taiwan if I remember right, and as far as I know that only use one factory. Arbor is Elan in Austria.

Have you thought of looking at the Flow Drifter? Same general category as the Coda and so far Flows have the best grip for anything that still utilizes a standard "no tech" style sidecut.

Maybe a Nitro Pro One off series. The Dennis McNett ones. The Kooley for me was a really solid do everything ride.
The sticker on the Rome says made in Austria

http://www.snowboard-review.com/snow...ew/Mod_Rocker/

Last edited by snowbummer; 03-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post

Rome's low end boards are made in China, their higher end boards like the Mod and such are made in Austria.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbummer View Post

It's missing a 3inch piece of edge right at heel edge, the shop I took it too decided to ptex the thing instead of doing a proper repair... its right where the Arbors griptech is. I took it to 3 shops they quoted me $70-100 and said it's not really worth repairing, it may last 3 days- 3months but not going to hold, because it's such a stress point. Told me I'd be buying time.

So $100 bucks for a repair that may not last...vs a $250 on new rome board sounds semi worth it.
That arbor coda was brand new in late November.
Brutal...what did you hit? Its a moot point now...but I think Arbors get a bad knock for being 'fragile'. I find Burton top sheets to be way more susceptible to chipping/peeling/cracking...and my edges/base haven't shown any wear more than any other board. Having said that...if you're worried about blowing out your edges..maybe try a board w/ something along the lines of Nitros rail-killer or Ride's Cleave edges. Give you more beef there. Or try a fastplant for a strong core.

As for the Rome...if you like the ride and can snag it at that price can't go wrong really. Can't speak to the durability of Rome boards specifically...but if their warranty support is anything like they provide for their bindings...gives you more piece of mind there (though...if the same thing happens...i dont know of a company that'd warranty damage like that.)

Last edited by jliu; 03-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu View Post
Brutal...what did you hit? Its a moot point now...but I think Arbors get a bad knock for being 'fragile'. I find Burton top sheets to be way more susceptible to chipping/peeling/cracking...and my edges/base haven't shown any wear more than any other board. Having said that...if you're worried about blowing out your edges..maybe try a board w/ something along the lines of Nitros rail-killer or Ride's Cleave edges. Give you more beef there. Or try a fastplant for a strong core.

As for the Rome...if you like the ride and can snag it at that price can't go wrong really. Can't speak to the durability of Rome boards specifically...but if their warranty support is anything like they provide for their bindings...gives you more piece of mind there (though...if the same thing happens...i dont know of a company that'd warranty damage like that.)
I might be spoiled coming from 3 Never Summers, but this arbor coda base is definitely more fragile. The thing looks worse after one day than my other boards at 5-10 days. And I never left the groomers on that one day. My wife's DC Biddy (structurn) who rode next to me looked brand new. Of course she doesn't ride as hard as I do (wait what the fuck did I just say? :0) but still, gotta admit, the arbor bases are a bit soft. I mean, one part looks like I took a grinder to the top of it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
Rome's low end boards are made in China, their higher end boards like the Mod and such are made in Austria.
That's right. Oh well. So fair chance they're in the same factory then. I'm fairly certain Arbor and Capita use the same bases and i know they're both out of Elan. So if the Mod is also from Elan it may be the same base material. That said, your problem wasnt base weakness. You hit something gnarly and ripped an edge out. Only something like Rides cleave-edge or Nitro's rail killer edges MIGHT have helped. Might have

Mods a good board. For $250 if the wide doesn't bother you do it up.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea..
You don't want to see the zoomed out shot of that board, Question would be what didn't it hit. Still though I had an old Burton that could withstand the scratches way better than this coda.

I did a whole lot of tree runs and non groomers this season. Plus was out last storm and got blown off a cliff via a strong wind gust+icy conditions.

With the Rome I dunno if its because its the wide or the extra inch, I just did not get as much pop or play, board does not seem as lively. The guy wants $350 for the non wide, Clearancing the wide. I have a 11.5 foot(via Burton Ions) so it's not bad, but I didn't have a problem on the arbor non wide either.
It felt i needed way more speed to get the same air I would with the Arbor. With the Arbor I coudl pop off little moguls with ease and get nice air. Barely left the ground with the Rome.

The shops near me don't carry Nitro boards..they have Have Arbor, Gnu, Ride, Jeremy Jones, and of course Burton.