GNU Carbon Credit Series Wide or not - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU Carbon Credit Series Wide or not

Hey guys, I am a beginner snowboarder and am leaning towards getting a Gnu Carbon Credit Series BTX board but am not sure if i need a wide or not.

I am 180 pounds and 6 ft 1 inch. I wear about 11-11.5 in normal shoes and am not exactly sure of my snowboard boot size. I had some rental salomon boots that were size 11 and I was riding a 160 salomon pulse which has a waist of 251mm. It felt a bit narrow for my boots but I am not sure if I had toe overhang or not.

I was going to order a 162 in the CCS but not sure about getting the wide width or just the regular.
The waist width on the regular is 258 vs 267 on the wide in size 162.

Any thoughts?
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wide vs. not wide is barely a choice... Look at the waist widths you have there. 258 vs. 267 isn't even one centimeter. That's barely more than a 3% difference in width, or less than one shoe size worth in length. Which means that will change your heel and toe overhang by 4.5 mm, or less than one half of a shoe size.

If you think you might like the wider board, get the wider board. Your feet will be fine on either.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

try the calculator that was just posted recently...also hard to know w/o knowing the actual boot size cuz now a lot of the boots come w/ reduced footprint
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The best thing you can do is take your boots(or a pair that fit you) and stick them on the board(or a comparable board in a shop near you) where your bindings would be and see how much overhang you have.. If it's anything more than 1.5" then size up to the wide..
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont have any boots yet, there is a big sale going on so I am trying to buy the board/bindings now and then find some boots later...
I called the Dogfunk guys, one of them recommended I go for a 159 regular as I am still learning so...

I am super confused...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Even if you end up an 11.5, a 258 mm wide board should be no problem. Fairly wide already for a non wide board.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

The dogfunk guys recommended i go with a 159 regular which is 255mm wide... would that be ok with 11.5s?
I guess 159 so its a bit easier to learn on... makes sense.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

so after a long debate with the dogfunk guys, they ended up recommending me a 159 cm board Wide that is 267 mm wide vs the regular which is about 255 mm.
They said it would probably last me longer and be able to accomdate a wider variety of boots since I am right on the edge between wide and regular.

Its a bout a half inch difference between wide and regular... does that make much of a difference?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

btw i got to try on some Burton Hails and im pretty sure I am 11.5
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
so after a long debate with the dogfunk guys, they ended up recommending me a 159 cm board Wide that is 267 mm wide vs the regular which is about 255 mm.
They said it would probably last me longer and be able to accomdate a wider variety of boots since I am right on the edge between wide and regular.

Its a bout a half inch difference between wide and regular... does that make much of a difference?
I'm about the same size as you, 6'1 and 195lbs. Size 13 boot here though. I had a lot of help from Randy @ wiredsport and he recommended I go with a 163w CC.

I was extremely happy with my purchase and I'm sure you will be as well.
Derp is offline   Reply With Quote