NS Proto CT - questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto CT - questions

Stats:

Weight -- about 190 or so
Height -- 5'8" (yes, I'm a pudgy bastard)
Boots -- 26.5 mondo
Bindings -- Ride EX or Ride SPI (depending on the day)
Current board -- 2010/11 Ride Antic 157 (regular camber)
Riding style -- blues, some blacks, no tricks, no airs. Not bombing, just enjoying the trails.

Up at Mount Snow this past weekend (10 March) and lo and behold Never Summer is demoing boards. Conditions are spring-y, some ice, some bare patches -- soft spring snow.

I strap on a Proto CT 157 and take to the lifts. This is the first time I have been on anything other than a regular camber board and, oh my god.

The way I felt about my Nitro Team boots is how I felt about this board... suddenly I got it. It was fun, it was easy, it was confidence inspiring...

And then the sticker shock.

1) Does it make sense for someone whose style is as described to have, well, such a great board?
2) Suggestions/opinions on boards that ride similarly? Remembering that I am not riding at the limits of a boards capabilities.
3) I rode the 157 in not so great conditions and felt great. Should I look, rather, at a 160?

Thanks
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

1) I started off buying a NS in my first season. It allowed me to progress in my second season (this year) at a really fast rate. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I ended last season. I'm getting air, riding fast and in control, learning switch, hitting boxes. At the beginning of this year I could barely handle myself at medium speed.

2)Someone else will recommend 20 boards to you, I'm sure. Fact: You tried and now understand why people like Never Summer. Why not save and go with something you know you will love?

3) With R/C, you can actually shorten your board size a bit. I'm 6'3 205lbs and I ride a 158 EVO as an all mountain stick. It's a little soft at times, but I like that in a board. The Proto is stiffer than the evo, which is even more reason it will hold up.

The rule of thumb is: Bigger = more stable. Shorter = easier to transition/move it around.
That being said, you'd be fine with either board. It's just a matter of where you think your snowboarding will go.
If you don't plan on trying park or jumps just a carve...go for the 160+.

Best of luck.

tl;dr Buy it. You won't regret it.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you do absolutely no park, you may want to look at the SL or possibly the heritage.
As for the size, the CT has blunted tips so it rides a little bit longer than its actual size.

But honestly, if you liked it, just buy it
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangsters View Post
Stats:

Weight -- about 190 or so
Height -- 5'8" (yes, I'm a pudgy bastard)
Boots -- 26.5 mondo
Bindings -- Ride EX or Ride SPI (depending on the day)
Current board -- 2010/11 Ride Antic 157 (regular camber)
Riding style -- blues, some blacks, no tricks, no airs. Not bombing, just enjoying the trails.

Up at Mount Snow this past weekend (10 March) and lo and behold Never Summer is demoing boards. Conditions are spring-y, some ice, some bare patches -- soft spring snow.

I strap on a Proto CT 157 and take to the lifts. This is the first time I have been on anything other than a regular camber board and, oh my god.

The way I felt about my Nitro Team boots is how I felt about this board... suddenly I got it. It was fun, it was easy, it was confidence inspiring...

And then the sticker shock.

1) Does it make sense for someone whose style is as described to have, well, such a great board?
2) Suggestions/opinions on boards that ride similarly? Remembering that I am not riding at the limits of a boards capabilities.
3) I rode the 157 in not so great conditions and felt great. Should I look, rather, at a 160?

Thanks
About myself:
I'm 5'9" 155 lbs with mondo 26.0 feet and and ride the Proto CT 154 with Nitro Teams (my favorite brand of boot). Been riding for 15 seasons, at roughly 30 days a season.

In the past I've ridden/demo/owned the following Never Summer Board SL 153 2012, SL 155 (2008, 2009, 2012), Evo 153 (2003, 2005, 2012), Summit 161.

My thoughts:
1 + 2) I would steer you towards the SL, Heritage, or next year's Cobra. If price is a concern look try last year's SL or Heritage for a 20-30% discount (Never Summer boards rarely sell new at a higher discount... lots of used boards I've seen go up though). However, if you love the board, you love the board... just realize you might eventually feel like it's not "exactly" you thing after a few days.
3) I you were to get the Proto CT, you probably could get away with the 157, the 160 might feel a little long to you coming from your Ride Antic 157 due to the blunted tips.

Here is a Proto 160 selling for $350 used (not mine, I just found it via forum search) - http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...-proto-ct.html
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
About myself:

My thoughts:
1 + 2) I would steer you towards the SL, Heritage, or next year's Cobra. If price is a concern look try last year's SL or Heritage for a 20-30% discount (Never Summer boards rarely sell new at a higher discount... lots of used boards I've seen go up though). However, if you love the board, you love the board... just realize you might eventually feel like it's not "exactly" you thing after a few days.
Realizing that I am asking you to tell me about, well, me could you elaborate on "just realize you might eventually feel like it's not "exactly" you thing after a few days. "?

Thanks
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote