Powder snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder snowboard

Hi Everyone,

I'm 5.11 180 lbs and I ride a 158 K2 Slayblade currently. It's a good board but not so great in the pow. Kind of sinks in the snow so thought I'd ask if you guys could suggest a powder snowboard.

One of the boards that I rode and loved was the Burton custom flying V. It has that v-rocker in the middle that makes it feel swively and fun to just goof around on. Wondering if you guys know any pow boards that have that kind of a feel.

Or should I just setback the stance on my slay blade and call it a day ?!??!

Thanks.
Londoner_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm your size and weight. Just recently rode my 154 (set back all the way) in a foot of powder and, although it worked, I really had to keep paying attention to the nose so it wouldn't dig. Granted, yours is a 158, but, if you're going to be riding deep powder a lot, maybe invest in a board with a longer nose (161+?)...or, if you really want to get pow specific, something with a bunch of taper in the tail*

*there's a guy on trusnow selling a brand new 158 Capita "Charlie Slasher" (22 mm of taper) for only $225 shipped. It's not this years model, but still pretty good price
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

burton sherlock. Love that board and it floats like mad. It has flying v
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get a powder board. Since you're not already riding burton est bindings I would skip their boards since they're ics. Look at the charlie slasher, or powder snake for cheap powder boards. They're a lot of camber/reverse camber shapes out there and most mfrs. are make a powder specific profile now. So unless you want a burton don't feel like they're the only choice.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a turbo dream and a slayblade. Its all I ever really need.
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If your feeling that a 158 slayblade isnt giving you the float you want, id say go for a dedicated pow shape, there are a lot out there, taper, no taper, lots of rocker profiles.

Where do you ride and how much pow do you get to ride. Some people say "i've got this board and it good in all conditions" I've got a lot of different boards and they are all fun in powder, but what you find out when you ride a real powder board is that they make a so-so 6 inch day feel a lot deeper, and they give you the glide to ride low angle powder that other can get to, threw, or out of. I've 180lbs ive rode a 165 snowmullet, 165 charlie, and the 162 gyrator. All are good boards, the snowmullet is the most fun for me because its soft and surfy its be replaced by the birdman which look unreal, the gyrator is from the first year and has mega wakeboard rocker (1" in the nose"). Its not tapered which makes switch pow fun. The charlie has great float but its stiffer and flat tail makes it ride more like a freeride board.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1986 snow mullet. One of the best powder boards. Good luck finding one though. Been looking for a while. Want one for powder trips.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With a little more setback dialed in, the Slayblade should be more than adequate in pow. However if you're consistently riding in the deep stuff, it makes sense to have a dedicated pow board. Great values out there like the Capita Charlie Slasher, Salomon Powder Snake, Jones Hovercraft, Bataleon Omni, Gnu Dirty Pillow.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote