First board...want an all mountain board good to advance/transition into freestyle - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First board...want an all mountain board good to advance/transition into freestyle

Hey guys,

I am new here...just made an account a few days ago and have been browsing to try and do some research. I am getting overwhelmed by all this information and finally am here to ask you all (who have far more experience with snowboarding than me) for some advice on what set up I should go with.

I have been boarding 7 times, 5 lessons, and have been riding the burton LTRs and cruisers in 155 and 160. I am 5'11", 185lbs, wear a size 12 boot. I am able to link turns easily, stop, and have pretty decent control. Started getting into doing 180s but still eat snow about half the time. I am able to do flat spins and simple stuff. I manage black diamonds on the easy cost pretty well, but really like sticking to the blue as I am more comfortable and it's an overall more enjoyable ride.

I want a board that I can have fun on the trails with, especially on the east coast since it is easier for me to travel up the east coast than out west....although I plan on going out west once every year or two. I only get to ride about 1-2 weeks a year, so I do not want to go over board on price, but at the same time, I want something that I won't regret buying as I become more "in tune" with my board and will last me 5+ years. So I want an all mountain board, able to have fun with carving, and perhaps transition into the park a little, or at least start doing more jumps, etc on the trails.

So far, I have my eyes locked on the Never Summer Legacy 159, Lib Tech Dark Series 158w, Lib Tech TRS and Burton Custom Flying V. These are all based on speaking with people in the shops and looking on these forums.

Also, any recommendations on bindings would be great also. Thanks everyone.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Keeping in mind what riding you're describing and If you want a board you can grow into you might want to look into every company's "all mountain freestyle" offering. This usually means you'll be looking at a mid flexing twin-like or true twin that does it all. With that in mind you should cross that dark series off your list, too stiff—super expensive, generally not a good learning board and more a freeride board. Also, you should maybe look at the evo or proto instead of the SL, again because it's more freeride.

If you're looking at longevity you might want to steer toward NS, their boards are bulletproof with a 3 year warranty—along with that Capita and I think Unity provide 2 year warranties and everyone else I think 1 year.

Other than your list I'd suggest looking into:
Burton Easy Living restricted (camber/rocker/camber)
GNU Rider's choice (assym sidecut w/camber/rocker/camber)
YES Great Beauties (assym sidecut w/ rocker/camber/rocker)
Capita Totally FK'n Awesome (rocker/camber/rocker)
Bataleon Goliath (camber with lifted contact points)
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

The NS Legacy seems the best board for you from the ones you listed. I second the advice to cross off the Dark Series.

Why get TRS if you can have full metal edges, good base, longer warranty from the NS?

If you want magnetraction for ice, I'd go for a Smokin board (never ridden one, but just ordered tonight myself). Specs are comparable to Never Summer but with more aggressive edge
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am trying to take advantage of this 50% off dogfunk promo...

What about the GNU Carbon Credit wide board? My buddy just bought one on our last trip and I was able to take it down the mountain once, but it was after I injured myself on another run, so I really didn't get to ride it like I normally would ride. I really like that the Legacy never gets any bad comments and everyone seems to love Never Summer, but I am trying to see if I can pick up a board and bindings for the same price as I can get the Legacy (best I have found is $383 shipped). Especially since I am a beginner, and am only able to snowboard 1-2 weeks per year since I live in Florida and have a busy schedule.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Carbon Credit is probably the best all-mountain cost for value board out there. Is a great board from beginner through to expert. I'd go with that.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

you could also add a ride machete to that list.
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor Coda is also a great board to look at, so is the signal omni and Arbor blacklist for a more all mtn/park board
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I am trying to take advantage of this 50% off dogfunk promo...

What about the GNU Carbon Credit wide board? My buddy just bought one on our last trip and I was able to take it down the mountain once, but it was after I injured myself on another run, so I really didn't get to ride it like I normally would ride. I really like that the Legacy never gets any bad comments and everyone seems to love Never Summer, but I am trying to see if I can pick up a board and bindings for the same price as I can get the Legacy (best I have found is $383 shipped). Especially since I am a beginner, and am only able to snowboard 1-2 weeks per year since I live in Florida and have a busy schedule.
Dogfunk has the rider's choice, which seems to be well reviewed. They don't have the asym pickle one I don't think. But still, for $250. I just told my friend to buy one, he just got it. Fairly soft but not too soft. He's also a beginner. I think it'll be a while before he outgrows it.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

NS Proto CTX 155.

The SL is fine, but I'm a twin all mountain freestyle kinda guy (I only go into the park to hit 10-30 footers), and you want to "transition into freestyle."

I weigh about 5-10lbs less than you and ride the 154 reg. The 55ctx will be a little stiffer with the added width, and remember these boards ride a good 3-5 cm long because of not only blunted tips, but also drawn out rails.

The '58 would work fine for you, 3cm is barely an inch, but as you say "transition into freestyle" go with the 55.

Oh and I love my board. Don't have much experience with other boards, but I already just want another one of these ...

Last edited by snowklinger; 03-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys.

Although I really like the sound and opinions of the Never Summer Legacy boards...I went with the GNU Carbon Credit 159 wide, Rome 390 boss bindings, and ThirtyTwo Focus Boa boots. I tried on the Ride Hi-Phy boots and loved them, but unfortunately Ride is not part of the promo at dogfunk right now. So I decided that I would take a shot in the dark at the ThirtyTwo's, and hopefully they fit well. If not, I'll resell them and go buy the Ride Hi-Phy in the store.

Hopefully I made a good decision. I wanted to get the Legacy, but for the price, I was able to get the whole package off dogfunk. Plus, I am from Florida and have a really busy schedule so I only plan to snowboard 1-2 weeks a year....I figure the GNU will last me a while, and these bindings/boots will be good for future boards. Thanks for the help though.